Off topic: Whose fear is that?
Thread poster: Agnieszka Hayward

Agnieszka Hayward
Local time: 15:54
German to Polish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2004

A friend showed this to me.,,2-2004090520,00.html

Quite nice to be flattered by being called stampede as a nation, what do you think?

Hope this topic isn't too much politics.
I wonder what your opinion would be.
And don't tell me nobody reads the paper...
Have a nice read.

[Edited at 2004-02-24 22:19]

[Edited at 2004-02-24 22:23]

[Edited at 2004-02-24 22:23]

Direct link Reply with quote
Eno Damo  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:54
English to Albanian
+ ...
The link doesn't work Feb 24, 2004

Hi Agnieszka,

The link doesn't seem to be working.

Agnieszka Hayward
Local time: 15:54
German to Polish
+ ...
My friend said she just read it Feb 24, 2004

...but if for some reason the link doesn't work, go to and click on the title 'Just £8 one way to Britain'

Hope it works now.

[Edited at 2004-02-24 22:21]

Or just copy the entire address from my post and paste it into the Explorer address bar.

[Edited at 2004-02-24 22:24]

United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
English to German
+ ...
Don't get annoyed, Feb 25, 2004

it's just the "Sun", who cares what they say? And then they say, migrants won't be allowed to work but can use the National Health Service. So what? The NHS would collapse without all the migrants working for it.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
English to Tamil
+ ...
What is the point of the Sun story? Feb 25, 2004

Does Sun imply that the Poles will squat in Britain and become a drain on her resources? The quoted article is too short. Or are there some further links, which I missed? But the hostility to the Poles was palpitating in the sentences of the said article.

If my memory is correct Sun is a paper peddling sensation. I guess it has its fans. It is also a fact that countries like the USA, UK are desirable immigration destinations for people in less developed countries. But can one immediately jump to the conclusion that tourists are bent upon staying back? Is life in UK that good?

As far as I am concerned, I do not even have a passport and have no intention of leaving India, where I am quite well off, thank you very much. I only pity the people doing everything to migrate to those countries, only to be confronted by the hostilitiy of the locals and the consequent disillusion.

If at all one has to settle in a foreign country, follow the example of the Indian software experts, who were requested by the concerned German minister to come to Germany, where they were assured of good reception. Even in that case the local breast-beating xenophobes started the slogan "Kinder statt Inder"

Otherwise it is better to be in your own country, which one should rever and try to improve the system from within. If you do not respect yourself, who will?

[Edited at 2004-02-27 04:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Whose fear is that?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs