Thread poster: Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 19:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 12, 2004

I'm uneasy about this, I really don't want to open a can of worms or be misinterpreted or bothering staff and moderators. But somehow I can't help it.
I see it was necessary to close threads related to the latest terrorist action in Madrid. I can feel it's hard to moderate such thing, and I congratulate staff and moderators for their consistency in these sad circumstances. Couldn't be easy.
However, we all translators feel pain, and some a lot of it, and we want to be able to express
... See more
I'm uneasy about this, I really don't want to open a can of worms or be misinterpreted or bothering staff and moderators. But somehow I can't help it.
I see it was necessary to close threads related to the latest terrorist action in Madrid. I can feel it's hard to moderate such thing, and I congratulate staff and moderators for their consistency in these sad circumstances. Couldn't be easy.
However, we all translators feel pain, and some a lot of it, and we want to be able to express it there where it does matter to us: in our community of translators, ie: Proz. We want to hear and be heard, we want to share our pain with our colleagues, in the open, at Proz, our virtual home. Virtual, ae, but oh so real when we are able to share such pain.
Just a humble suggestion then. Could we perhaps, and if it's not much bother, have a single multilingual forum for this kind of communication, with its own rules (no swearing, no politics, no personal attacks, etc.) so we all translators as brothers and sisters may exchange condolences and sympathies, mourn and become one voice against injustice and horror under the umbrella of this great site, our home out there?
And then hope we won't have to use it again.
Thank you
Paul
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm with you... Mar 12, 2004

...for whatever it's worth, and with all respect due everyone

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm with you too Paul Mar 12, 2004

Just a corner where we can cry together and comfort each other during times of pain.

Pamela

dawn39 (X)
dawn39 (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
11-M : Desde Madrid, muchas gracias Paul. Mar 12, 2004

Deseo expresar mi agradecimiento a todos los amigos que como tú, desde aquí y con valentía, se han solidarizado con nuestro dolor, que es hoy el dolor de las personas buenas del mundo.
No creo que una condolencia tenga nada que ver con la política, nada...
Es por encima de todo una hermosa prueba de amistad.
Gracias, amigos.

Valgan estos maravillosos versos de Blas de Otero para recordar a tantas personas que ya no pueden hablar, pero cuyo silencio se escucha f
... See more
Deseo expresar mi agradecimiento a todos los amigos que como tú, desde aquí y con valentía, se han solidarizado con nuestro dolor, que es hoy el dolor de las personas buenas del mundo.
No creo que una condolencia tenga nada que ver con la política, nada...
Es por encima de todo una hermosa prueba de amistad.
Gracias, amigos.

Valgan estos maravillosos versos de Blas de Otero para recordar a tantas personas que ya no pueden hablar, pero cuyo silencio se escucha fuerte en nuestros corazones.

EN EL PRINCIPIO

Si he perdido la vida, el tiempo, todo
lo que tiré, como un anillo, al agua,
si he perdido la voz en la maleza,
me queda la palabra.

Si he sufrido la sed, el hambre, todo
lo que era mío y resultó ser nada,
si he segado las sombras en silencio,
me queda la palabra.

Si abrí los labios para ver el rostro
puro y terrible de mi patria,
si abrí los labios hasta desgarrármelos,
me queda la palabra.

Blas de Otero (Bilbao 1916- Madrid 1979)

A nosotros, aquí, aún nos queda la palabra.
Un abrazo que siento compartido.
Gracias.
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
but why would the forum section be an exception? Mar 12, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:
I do not know well but that messages from Administration may be not against our feelings, sharing sympathy with Spanish Colleagues and victims but just opposite, against some possible hurting comments from others not sharing the same sensivity and trying to carry the issue to a political argument. (So called "freedom of speech")

I appreciate your point, Tayfun. However, it seems to me people intent on creating havoc will find a way to do so, no matter the venue available to them. I believe we have all seen examples of reprehensible behavior in the Kudoz section, and eventually measures have been implemented to self-regulate to a certain extent, i.e. by giving certain members the capacity to squash a question if they feel it is inappropriate. I have used that privilege occasionally, and have seen other colleagues squash questions I personally did not have a problem with. I have also been insulted by unscrupulous askers, harassed by a kudoz-chaser, and even propositioned... Each and every time I have found assistance from the moderators (except in the case of my would-be suitor, whom I handled personally), and the situation was resolved with the utmost respect and efficiency.

My point is we are adults and we are professionals, and those who behave otherwise seem to vanish sooner or later anyway. Do we deprive the community of a much-needed resource for fear of the occasional abuse? I know when the fighter planes were patrolling the sky over NYC, a few years back, the last thing on my mind was syntax and style. Living alone and with my family an ocean away, I sure wish I had had a forum to share the fear, the disgust, and the loneliness. Not being able to talk about the most pressing issue affecting my life and my work, I found myself withdrawing my participation for a few weeks, until my nerves were back to "normal".

I've already expressed this in the past, but feel the need to express it again. I might understand the ban on political and religious tirades, but I never saw anything political or religious about the pain caused by atrocities, and the need to band together and support each other. If that is not part of us as translators, then what is?

And I thank you for even making this exchange possible.

With utter respect and appreciation,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2004-03-12 04:16]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hopefully...an empty forum.... Mar 12, 2004

Paul Roigé wrote:

...so we all translators as brothers and sisters may exchange condolences and sympathies, mourn and become one voice against injustice and horror under the umbrella of this great site, our home out there?

Paul

Agree.

Aurora

[Edited at 2004-03-12 03:28]

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, Paul Mar 12, 2004

I cannot find words to express my sorrow, but I'm with you, and those who have preceded me and have succeeded finding the words, as in the poem dawn39 posted. There should be a place here for those who can and want to write, in sympathy.

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
Portuguese to English
Eloquent words, Paul Mar 12, 2004

Without any specific comments on today's tragedy in Spain, I do want to commend you (Paul) on the very meaningful way that you expressed yourself.

The Proz.com staff have always come across as both professional and sympathetic. While I completely understand and support their reasons for avoiding politically charged issues, I am sure that they appreciate the thoughtful and very human way in which you presented the issue, regardless of whatever policies they eventually have to uphold
... See more
Without any specific comments on today's tragedy in Spain, I do want to commend you (Paul) on the very meaningful way that you expressed yourself.

The Proz.com staff have always come across as both professional and sympathetic. While I completely understand and support their reasons for avoiding politically charged issues, I am sure that they appreciate the thoughtful and very human way in which you presented the issue, regardless of whatever policies they eventually have to uphold for the good of the site.

Well done, and thanks.

Todd
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Tod and Monica Mar 12, 2004

Said :

The Proz.com staff have always come across as both professional and sympathetic. While I completely understand and support their reasons for avoiding politically charged issues, I am sure that they appreciate the thoughtful and very human way in which you presented the issue, regardless of whatever policies they eventually have to uphold for the good of the s... See more
Said :

The Proz.com staff have always come across as both professional and sympathetic. While I completely understand and support their reasons for avoiding politically charged issues, I am sure that they appreciate the thoughtful and very human way in which you presented the issue, regardless of whatever policies they eventually have to uphold for the good of the site.

Thank you for these words...
Collapse

Sonia Gomes
Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sometimes you need a place.... Mar 12, 2004

Sometimes you need a place to cry and a place to hug and comfort those who have suffered and lost so much. All of us have seen terrorism in our countries and we are all against it. We may not know the Prozians personally, but we do know them ! We meet them everyday, we laugh with them and I would like to cry w2ith them too and share a hug too.

Please could we have this space

Sonia

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Not a matter of politics Mar 12, 2004

Before thinking and analysing who is responsible, why .... there is another important sentiment : pain, sorrow, horror. Expressing it is not against the rules. Commenting the happening would be.
I cannot stop thinking of these people going to work, school and..... horrifying. I have just read a wonderful book in french "La triple peine" - First pain was to have lost a leg, second was to have lost a husband, third was to have contracted AIDS during the treatment.
I do not make politic
... See more
Before thinking and analysing who is responsible, why .... there is another important sentiment : pain, sorrow, horror. Expressing it is not against the rules. Commenting the happening would be.
I cannot stop thinking of these people going to work, school and..... horrifying. I have just read a wonderful book in french "La triple peine" - First pain was to have lost a leg, second was to have lost a husband, third was to have contracted AIDS during the treatment.
I do not make politics but I think about the pain these people are going through....

Nothing more to say. Those who can, may pray......
Collapse

xima
xima  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
let me just say... Mar 12, 2004

Let me just say thank you for finding the words...
Myself, working with words the same as all of you, always sure of knowing how to express my feelings, still cannot find a single word to say what's bursting my heart.

Thank you for belonging to this virtual community that makes one feel a little bit less alone in overwhelming moments like this.

Love and peace to you all.
Xima

Claudia Campbell
Claudia Campbell
Brazil
Local time: 14:15
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
¡Qué gran idea! Mar 12, 2004

Creo que has dado en el clavo, Paul.
Sería estupendo contar con un sitio así para los Prozianos.

Saludos lusos e ilusos,
Lusobrás /Claudia Campbell

Maria Belarra
Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you with all my heart Mar 12, 2004

To Paul, for having the idea and the diplomatics needed to create this thread.

To Susana, for explaining so well something that I didn't know how to express myself: that this virtual community is often much more than a place where to look for professional advice. I have friends and colleagues here, and sharing my feelings with them seems to heal the pain a little.

To Proz staff and moderators, for permitting this thread and understanding and sharing our feelings. I al
... See more
To Paul, for having the idea and the diplomatics needed to create this thread.

To Susana, for explaining so well something that I didn't know how to express myself: that this virtual community is often much more than a place where to look for professional advice. I have friends and colleagues here, and sharing my feelings with them seems to heal the pain a little.

To Proz staff and moderators, for permitting this thread and understanding and sharing our feelings. I always understood that closing the condolence threads was by no means a reflection of your own feelings.

To every person that has written to give us a little strength, a little comfort, a little love. You know your affection, your solidarity was a great comfort to us.

Personally I do not live always in Madrid- I stay there from time to time and make regular visits. The people I love most do live there, and I have felt this tragedy really close. Only three months ago we held a meeting there, and a lot of our Madrid colleagues were present. All my worry and my solidarity and my love goes to them now, and I hope that our words can be a little help to pass these awful days.
Collapse

Samy Boutayeb
Samy Boutayeb  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Your pain is our pain too Mar 12, 2004

Estimados amigos madrilenos, y a todos aquellos que sienten dolor por lo que sucedio ayer, por tener vinculos proximos o lejanos con aquellos fallecidos y heridos, vuestra dolor es nuestra dolor tambien.
La compartemos los que leemos los mensajes de alivio o de compasion que nuestros colegas traductores escriben esos dias. Ellos son los portavoces de los numerosos colegas en este mundo, quienes aunque no escriban directamente a vosotros madrilenos y espanoles, comparten vuestra dolor, que
... See more
Estimados amigos madrilenos, y a todos aquellos que sienten dolor por lo que sucedio ayer, por tener vinculos proximos o lejanos con aquellos fallecidos y heridos, vuestra dolor es nuestra dolor tambien.
La compartemos los que leemos los mensajes de alivio o de compasion que nuestros colegas traductores escriben esos dias. Ellos son los portavoces de los numerosos colegas en este mundo, quienes aunque no escriban directamente a vosotros madrilenos y espanoles, comparten vuestra dolor, que entonces es la nuestra tambien.

Muchos abrazos

Samy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On moderating pain

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »