Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 17, 2004

I thought this was interesting and funny. I loved it. Enjoy it.

Monika

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4534017/

Subhamay Ray (X)
Subhamay Ray (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
English to Bengali
+ ...
Oh, this is hilarious! Mar 17, 2004

That's what happens when you rely too much on the internet! Here's a lesson. I loved it, Monica. This shows traditional methods of learning would never be replaced. There are no substitutes for good books and journals.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
English to Polish
+ ...
Methods of learning are mostly insignificant Mar 17, 2004

As long as one learns at all. But politicians are busy winning the elections, so they have no time. Seems like these ones had no time since primary school.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
A similar misunderstanding... Mar 17, 2004

My husband teaches chemistry - in German, of course. One day a very concerned mother visited the school and asked to see him. She had looked at her child's homework and saw that he was teaching her child about drugs. So she decided to confront him about his rather irresponsible behaviour. My husband was completely perplexed and asked her to explain what she had seen. Well, she said, she'd seen the word Hy-(new line)drogen, and Drogen are drugs in German! Needless to say, she went home a happy bu... See more
My husband teaches chemistry - in German, of course. One day a very concerned mother visited the school and asked to see him. She had looked at her child's homework and saw that he was teaching her child about drugs. So she decided to confront him about his rather irresponsible behaviour. My husband was completely perplexed and asked her to explain what she had seen. Well, she said, she'd seen the word Hy-(new line)drogen, and Drogen are drugs in German! Needless to say, she went home a happy bunny after realising her mistake.Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
A sad story Mar 17, 2004

This happened in my second year of engineering. The paper was industrial chemistry and my friend came out of it with a frown on his brow. We were discussing the just finished exam comparing notes. I casually asked him how he answered the question about the chemical and industrial properties of water. He had a horrified look and gasped that he didn't answer that question. It happened that he read "water" as "wäter" and for the life of him couldn't understand what it was.
Regards,
N.R
... See more
This happened in my second year of engineering. The paper was industrial chemistry and my friend came out of it with a frown on his brow. We were discussing the just finished exam comparing notes. I casually asked him how he answered the question about the chemical and industrial properties of water. He had a horrified look and gasped that he didn't answer that question. It happened that he read "water" as "wäter" and for the life of him couldn't understand what it was.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Really dangerous stuff in the wrong place.... Mar 17, 2004

What a laugh! But anything that makes you think instead of taking water for granted can't be entirely bad.

Not many generations ago it was quite acceptable to dismiss it as no use - 'It rots leather and rusts iron' as people used to say.

Frozen, it breaks down our houses and roads in the winter, and in summer there are always tourists who drown trying to swim in it. Less fortunate parts of the world are regularly plagued by floods and typhoons that destroy homes and foo
... See more
What a laugh! But anything that makes you think instead of taking water for granted can't be entirely bad.

Not many generations ago it was quite acceptable to dismiss it as no use - 'It rots leather and rusts iron' as people used to say.

Frozen, it breaks down our houses and roads in the winter, and in summer there are always tourists who drown trying to swim in it. Less fortunate parts of the world are regularly plagued by floods and typhoons that destroy homes and food and crops.

We northern Europeans don't give it a lot of thought - we wash our cars and our floors in drinking water!

As a child in India I learned to respect it... in the dry season when there was not enough, and in the rains when it ran in brown torrents through the streets. We were only allowed to drink it if it had been boiled or filtered, and my mother was quite hysterical about ice in drinks! A rare treat, because we had no 'fridge.

I think the culture gap is what started me off on translating. Machines can (sometimes) get the words right, but you have to understand both peoples to get the true meaning across.

And pure, clean water is so precious... Treasure it and give it the respect it deserves!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Local officials nearly fall for H2O hoax

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »