https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/20187-english_natives_required_for_help_with_university_thesis.html

Off topic: English natives required for help with university thesis
Thread poster: Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:07
German to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2004

I'm posting this on behalf of a colleague. If you're a native speaker of English* and you're interested in helping out, you should contact her as indicated in the message below.

* As a defintion of 'native speaker of English', let's say that you enjoyed your entire secondary education (age 10-18 ) at an English-speaking school in an English-speaking country.

The test can be downloaded from this page: http://www.proz.com/home/23534/. You should also indicate in the test what variety of English you speak (e.g. US, British, Australian, SA, etc.).

Chris
--

Dear All,
I am doing research on Universal Grammar for my thesis. For this research I need a large number of native speakers to do a small test. Therefore, I hope you will be so kind to fill in the attached test. There are only 9 items in the test so it will only take you about 10 minutes to fill in the form. You can send the form back by email to as an attachment.
Thank you very much,
Tineke Olieman

[Edited at 2004-04-21 17:36]
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 21, 2004

Thanks to everyone who took the time to complete the test. My colleague is very grateful.

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 13:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both sentences are wrong in #9. Apr 25, 2004

Chris Hopley wrote:

I'm posting this on behalf of a colleague. If you're a native speaker of English* and you're interested in helping out, you should contact her as indicated in the message below.

* As a defintion of 'native speaker of English', let's say that you enjoyed your entire secondary education (age 10-18 ) at an English-speaking school in an English-speaking country.

The test can be downloaded from this page: http://www.proz.com/home/23534/. You should also indicate in the test what variety of English you speak (e.g. US, British, Australian, SA, etc.).

Chris
--

Dear All,
I am doing research on Universal Grammar for my thesis. For this research I need a large number of native speakers to do a small test. Therefore, I hope you will be so kind to fill in the attached test. There are only 9 items in the test so it will only take you about 10 minutes to fill in the form. You can send the form back by email to as an attachment.
Thank you very much,
Tineke Olieman

Both sentences are wrong in #9, which undercuts the credibility of the research a bit. They should say "whom", nor "who".

[Edited at 2004-04-21 17:36]

Chris Hopley
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
says who? Apr 27, 2004

Ruth Henderson wrote:

Both sentences are wrong in #9, which undercuts the credibility of the research a bit. They should say "whom", nor "who".

One of the great things about English is that there is no one authority to tell us what is right or wrong, but only consensus and generally accepted usage.

The correct sentence in each pair is intended to be a reflection of general idiomatic spoken English. As such, it would be completely wrong to use whom, which in everyday speech comes across as rather affected. Don't take my word for it, though. Watch TV or listen to the radio or even a group of friends for a couple of hours and count the number of times you hear the word 'whom'....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English natives required for help with university thesis

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »