Mobile menu

Off topic: 10 Big Myths about copyright explained
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
English to Tamil
+ ...
Apr 9, 2004

An attempt to answer common myths about copyright seen on the net and cover issues related to copyright and USENET/Internet publication.
- by Brad Templeton

Note that this is an essay about copyright myths. It assumes you know at least what copyright is -- basically the legal exclusive right of the author of a creative work to control the copying of that work. If you didn't know that, check out my own brief introduction to copyright for more information. Feel free to link to this document, no need to ask me. Really, NO need to ask.
Please see: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
And after listing the 10 myths, the author goes on to the 11th myth. Do read them all.
This reminds me of the 11th commandment. "Thou shall not get caught!"
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Direct link Reply with quote

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:03
Very enlighting article Apr 11, 2004

Thank you for the article Raghavan, most interesting reading indeed.

It makes me wonder though, that if at some point in time, all the people who have published something on the Internet decided to enforce their copyright rights, and go after all the persons who have (voluntarily or involuntarily) infringed these, there would not be enough lawyers on Earth to handle so many cases, and the Internet would almost become paralized, since people would not want to risk getting sued for using its contents... it is probably my imagination, or a worst case scenario, but it seems to me that there would be serious consequences if something like this ever happened.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This possibility has been touched upon in a film Apr 12, 2004

But not in so many words. I saw this movie way back in the early seventies. There was a big robbery by a gang, about whom the various investigating departments in the USA had full details. There was one small catch however. Each agency had only a part of the information and all they had to do was to put their heads together, compare notes and then to have the complete picture. They were however riddled with internal rivalries and this did not happen.
Hence the robbery took place and the movie was full of scenes moving forward and backward in time. One scene of robbery was succeeded by a scene of a sort of post mortem of that scene afterwards. I have forgotten the title of the movie.
In the same manner the more the cases of copyright violations, the more the burden on the system and after sometime these rule will be observed more in breach.
The limitation of human resources will always be the weakest link. Is it not better so?
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-04-12 02:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

10 Big Myths about copyright explained

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs