Thread poster: italia

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:23
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 3, 2004

Dear all,
My husband is in Argentina at the moment, where his mobile does not work at all. Given that he'll be off to Cile on Sunday, I was wondering if any of you knew about International Roaming in Cile.
He uses a German mobile number.
Will he be reachable in Cile???
I don't want to get back to the provider, as I'm already mad about the fact that before signing the contract we were assured that he would be reachable everywhere in South America & Latin America!!!
TIA for any useful hints especially the Cilean colleagues!!!

[Edited at 2004-06-03 17:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Tri-band phone, SIM cleared for international roaming? Jun 3, 2004

I have some experience with German mobiles abroad. What kind of phone does your husband have? I did a little research and it appears that S. America uses the frequencies 850 and 1900 (in contrast to Europe: 900 and 1800). Does he have a tri-/quad-band cell phone? If not, I suspect that may be the reason he is having problems (although I have no personal experience in South America). See e.g. http://www.teltarif.de/i/reise-gsm.html (link in German).

Another possibility, perhaps less likely though, is that the cell phone is tri-band (i.e. would work in principal in S. America) but the SIM card has not been cleared for international roaming. This might be the case if he has a pre-paid card instead of a "normal" contract. In that case he would need to contact the provider to clear it for international roaming, or purchase a pre-paid SIM card there, with its own phone number, and forward calls from his original number to it.

Can you provide more info on the phone/German provider?

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
he uses a quad-band phone Jun 3, 2004

Michele Johnson wrote:

I have some experience with German mobiles abroad. What kind of phone does your husband have? I did a little research and it appears that S. America uses the frequencies 850 and 1900 (in contrast to Europe: 900 and 1800). Does he have a tri-/quad-band cell phone? If not, I suspect that may be the reason he is having problems (although I have no personal experience in South America). See e.g. http://www.teltarif.de/i/reise-gsm.html (link in German).

Another possibility, perhaps less likely though, is that the cell phone is tri-band (i.e. would work in principal in S. America) but the SIM card has not been cleared for international roaming. This might be the case if he has a pre-paid card instead of a "normal" contract. In that case he would need to contact the provider to clear it for international roaming, or purchase a pre-paid SIM card there, with its own phone number, and forward calls from his original number to it.

Can you provide more info on the phone/German provider?

Michele, thanks for your quick response. He recently got the latest (and only quad-band)by MOTOROLA.As regards the provider he is with O2 and oh yes he signed a contract...
Thanks again for your help!
Best regards from Mannheim

[Edited at 2004-06-03 17:58]

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Get a roaming code Jun 3, 2004

Your husband needs to contact his cell-phone provider. If by luck it is Bell-South, then he can go to the Bell South desk at the airport (just outside of Customs) and get the roaming code needed to accept calls here. He will most likely have to do that in every country.

If the company is not Bell South, he can rent a cell phone at Bell South. I don't know the rates. In any case, if he needs additional help, have him give me a call. Contact me privately and I will give you my home phone so he can call me on Sunday.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Phone OK; location? Jun 3, 2004

italia wrote:

Michele, thanks for your quick response. He recently got the latest (and only quad-band)by MOTOROLA.As regards the provider he is with O2 and oh yes he signed a contract...
Thanks again for your help!
Best regards from Mannheim

[Edited at 2004-06-03 17:58]

Hello "italia",

Good that he has a quad-band phone. Can he make calls himself? Is he simply not reachable for incoming calls?

I just checked the 02 website here http://www.o2online.de/o2/kunden/kundencenter/ausland/laendertarif/index.html

and they confirm that they provide romaing in both Argentina and Chile. There are a few potential problems I can think of:

- he is far from any kind of metropolitan area? When I was in the US with my tri-band cell phone, roaming was possible in principle. In practice, as soon as I got out in the countryside away from the city, I had no service. There might be providers out there, but perhaps simply not your roaming partner. So availability was actually fairly limited. Could this be the case?

- somehow the card is not activated for use abroad? My sister had this problem, although she was coming to Europe from the US and did not have 02 as a provider. She had to call and harass them, and then they did something, and then it immediately worked.

- Just to make sure: you are are 100% sure he does not have a prepaid "LOOP" contract at O2? Because there it appears there is only roaming in Europe.

So I would either try to call O2 and figure out what is going on, or (as an emergency measure) buy a local prepaid card and then set up his phone to forward to a local number.

Kind regards from Erfurt,
Michele

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mobile phones in Cile

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs