Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
Local time: 18:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 4, 2004

Hi,
is there anybody here who has a personal website? I understand that it could be of some use as a sort of extended cv and I was thinking of creating one for myself. But before I start working on my project I'd like to have a look at yours... to clone them! ;o)

No, just kidding!

I'd really appreciate it if you'd post your website url. I think it could be a good way to share some opinion on what they should be like to be more effective.

And yes, to
... See more
Hi,
is there anybody here who has a personal website? I understand that it could be of some use as a sort of extended cv and I was thinking of creating one for myself. But before I start working on my project I'd like to have a look at yours... to clone them! ;o)

No, just kidding!

I'd really appreciate it if you'd post your website url. I think it could be a good way to share some opinion on what they should be like to be more effective.

And yes, to get some inspiration from them...

a.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hello Alessandro Jun 4, 2004

Welcome to ProZ

Many translators have their website and you can usually find a link to it on the left side of their profile.

Feel free to visit as many sites as you can from the profiles, I'm sure you'll find lots of ideas (so many that I haven't mine yet)

Good luck

Claudia

[Edited at 2004-06-04 15:10]

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
well, in most cases you will find Jun 5, 2004

"This is your ProZ default page" or so.
Try KudoZ Leaders' sites!
(like mine)

Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
post your ideas not urls ;o) Jun 5, 2004

Hi, Martin, thanks for replying. It was quite a surprise to discover you live in Udine: io sono di Pordenone! ;o)

Taking Claudia\'s advice (which she then decided to edit out) I\'d like to change my request: instead of an \"advertising thread\", let\'s make it a useful one...

What should a translator\'s website be like? Don\'t post urls, but your ideas and comments.

Thanks,
A.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:48
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It will be better to form your own ideas and comments Jun 5, 2004

Do look at as many profiles as you want but the ideas formed out of them must be your own. There are good and indifferent websites, which tell you what to do and not to do. Good luck.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
by the way... Jun 5, 2004

Have a look at this thread http://www.proz.com/topic/21002. Ciao e benvenuto anche da me!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Keep it simple Jun 6, 2004

Your first page should immediately inform the visitor as to your experience and capabilities. Let the customer know in straight-forward terms who are are and what you can do for them. Unless you're also selling your services as a web designer, you don't need special effects. Once you start making some money, or learn web design skills, you can always upgrade your page.

Additional pages, if you use them, might also include educational experience (unless, of course, you're just starti
... See more
Your first page should immediately inform the visitor as to your experience and capabilities. Let the customer know in straight-forward terms who are are and what you can do for them. Unless you're also selling your services as a web designer, you don't need special effects. Once you start making some money, or learn web design skills, you can always upgrade your page.

Additional pages, if you use them, might also include educational experience (unless, of course, you're just starting out, in which case you might have more educational than work experience. If that's true, put your education up front!), descriptions of previous jobs, possible references. would also come on a second page, if you have one.

In my opinion, the *absolutely* most important aspect of a web page isn't even seen by the casual viewer: your metatags. These are the descriptors used by search engines to find you. You should include your capabilities including your subject areas, your location, your language combinations, etc. (in Italian, and if you're going to have an English page, in English as well on that page). People looking for a translator on Google are likely to use combinations such as "translations" + "medical" + "Roma" + english" (etc.). Only people who know who you are are going to search by name, which is about the only way someone will find you if you don't use good metatags.

The second most important thing is to make sure your web page can be seen easily by several different browsers, including Internet Explorer, Ntscape (and its cousin Mozilla) and Opera. If your page looks funny to a visitor, he/she will simply go somewhere else, even if you've been translating for 20 years. That's another reason to keep it simple.
Cheers, Kevin
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
My website Jun 10, 2004

Here's mine : www.farsi-freelance.com

It was my first attempt in html design, although it's quite primitive but I kinda like it the way it is...

Alessandro Cattelan wrote:

Hi,

No, just kidding!

And yes, to get some inspiration from them...

a.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translators' website

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »