Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:05
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2004

Did anyone else see Venus passing across the sun this morning? I projected the image with the help of a pair of binoculars and a piece of white card for my delighted children. When I repeated the experiment later, I started to wonder whether the reflection had in fact been caused by a speck on the lens, but I will never know. Yesterday, I enjoyed the bright sunshine we're having in the UK while working in the garden on my laptop. That's the idyllic side of working from home, particularly with a router relaying the Internet to the grassland near the pond. But how much direct heat can a laptop take? And does anyone know how to make the screen more visible in the sun? After my 'binoculars-through-a-hole-in-cardboard' project this morning to see Venus I feel inspired to design an ingenious cardboard box that will protect my laptop from the sun.

[Edited at 2004-06-08 12:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 22:05
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Ah, the great outdoors... Jun 8, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

Did anyone else see Venus passing across the sun this morning?

Emmm, no - missed it. Too busy working.

Anne Lee wrote:

And does anyone know how to make the screen more visible in the sun?

Try the shade of a big old cherry tree.....

Wish I was outside, but our garden doesn't have a lock on the gate (unlike the office door) to keep the kids out!!! So I'm inside, in a locked office, working on my laptop

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:05
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Try the opposite Jun 8, 2004

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:
Wish I was outside, but our garden doesn't have a lock on the gate (unlike the office door) to keep the kids out!!! So I'm inside, in a locked office, working on my laptop

Leave the kids locked in the office and go outside

Claudia

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:05
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Intelligence inside versus Intel inside Jun 8, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

Yes, I looked through the best fo Donna Summer (well, a CD with that name) to see a very tiny spot. The 'filter' didn't work for photographing, you can't find the spot in the sun. I hope Donna Summer has better filters in case she'd like to see the solar eclips. Anyway, the CD trick is next to unstatisfying, unsafe. Here are better and safer pictures http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/3786705.stm

Anne Lee wrote:
But how much direct heat can a laptop take? And does anyone know how to make the screen more visible in the sun?

Actually I don't know the amount of heat my laptop likes, but when I sat outside, I used to use a simple banana box, put on a long side, while I was facing the sun. The hole in the bottom of the box is ideal for the cables and the box creates a quite dark room for the Intel-inside-machine.
But what about the intelligence-inside-man? When artificial intelligence needs protection, the human being needs it as well. So, in quite hot whether I used a parasol, turning it such way that my laptop (but not me) was protected when the sun was not too hot, and both I and the laptop were protected in the hot hours (especially form noon to 3 pm in summer). Worked very good and saves your health.

[Edited at 2004-06-08 17:42]

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too true, Henk. Jun 8, 2004

... had a bit of a headache yesterday from the sun, I admit. Today, I've stayed in the shade. Your banana box and parasol sound great; I'll try and get hold of something similar.

Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
I did(n't) Jun 8, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

I saw a beautiful picture in the morning news, but it was too early, and I was in my pajamas, so I didn't even try to set up the telescope. When I didn't have a telescope, I always thought I would not miss these things if I had one.

About working outside, that's why I got the laptop, but it's going to have to wait until the cicadas are gone! We have very few around my house, but still, thinking they might land or fall on me, and the noise, make it much more confortable to stay inside. Well, good thing they only come out every 17 years.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cicadas? Jun 8, 2004

Sol, at first I thought you referred to some character from a Harry Potter movie, but after some research I realised you were serious. http://www.cicadamania.net/faq.html#a8
(Question: Do cicadas bite or sting?
Answer: No. Cicadas aren't equipped to bite or sting. They do have prickly feet which can pinch or scratch. If they confuse you with a tree branch they might try to drink fluids from you or lay some eggs in you, which you would definitely feel.)

What an amazing world we live in. I've only got woodpigeons to look out for in my garden, but, all things considered, I think translation is best done indoors.

Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Italian to English
+ ...
Venus in Port of Venus Jun 11, 2004

Hello! I saw the transit through welder's glasses, and went to Porto Venere (Port of Venus) in Liguria near le Cinque Terre in Italy to see it! Che bello, love was in the air...
Ciao
Katy

Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Italian to English
+ ...
cicadas Jun 11, 2004

Well, good thing they only come out every 17 years.

Every 17 and 13 years... prime numbers...weird hunh? Go figure.
My Australian entymologist (sp?) friend here in Italy is doing research on that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Venus and laptops in the sun

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs