Mobile menu

Off topic: Euro 2004
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:17
German to English
Jun 22, 2004

Can someone tell me what happens when a player receives a yellow card in one game and then another in a later game? There's a guy named Rooney who apparently already has one yellow card.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIanW
Local time: 15:17
German to English
+ ...
Suspended for a game Jun 22, 2004

It means that you're suspended for the next game. As far as I know, it was introduced to cut down on the aggression in the sport.

By the way, Rooney - an 18-year-old - claims to be more scared of his mother than he is of his trainer.

Up the Irish! (ahem, next time, I mean)

[Edited at 2004-06-22 17:01]

Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:17
English to Russian
+ ...
He will miss the next game if he get a second yellow card Jun 22, 2004

so

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
Normally a one-game suspension, but not always... Jun 22, 2004

Hi Kim,

Normally the player is suspended for one game. However, the competition is still in the group stage with the quarter-finals due to start on Thursday. If any player has collected two yellow cards before the end of the group stage, he is suspended for the next game. If he only has one yellow card at the end of group stage, then that card is scrapped and they start afresh from zero.

Of course, if someone picks up two yellow cards in one game, then it's a sending off for the rest of that particular game and the governing body then decides how many games the player is banned for.

I wonder if Denmark and Sweden play in each others interest tonight to eliminate the Italians. Off to watch it shortly.

Ciao,
C

Re Rooney - he had one yellow card before yesterday's match and, because he is such a hothead, the trainer decided to substitute him before the end of the game (but after he had scored twice) for fear that he would be banned from the 1/4-final by collecting a second card. Now he can play the 1/4 finals without any Vorstrafe.

BTW - Anyone picking up 2 yellow cards AFTER the group stage is also banned for a game.

[Edited at 2004-06-22 17:47]

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
2 x yellow gets you sent off Jun 22, 2004

A yellow card is "awarded" for unsporty behaviour - unfairness, hard fouls, pretending to be fouled, etc. Two of these in one game and you get a red card - and off you go (and then there are only 10 little soccer players trying to score a goal....).

I'm not sure, but I think that if you have a yellow card, it is still active for the next game too in most cases. In some tournaments (like the Euro 2004), they are all cancelled for the quarter-finals/semis/finals.

I wonder if they'll bring in a new card for the "Llama attacks" (spitting), I wonder what colour that would be - greenish?

Beatrice T  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
Llama attacks Jun 23, 2004

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

I wonder if they'll bring in a new card for the "Llama attacks" (spitting), I wonder what colour that would be - greenish?

I agree: a greenish card should be introduced for all "spit-Totti"s ("sputotti" as we call him here in Italy)!
Do not be scared, we were eliminated yesterday so your players do not risk to get a spit on their face...

Italy
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
Denmark- Sweden-Italy Jun 23, 2004

Cilian O\'Tuama wrote:

I wonder if Denmark and Sweden play in each others interest tonight to eliminate the Italians. Off to watch it shortly.

[Edited at 2004-06-22 17:47]

It seemed to me as if they did. They just stopped playing when they scored 2-2.
Anyway, our team (Italy) did not deserve to pass this stage. They have to learn a lot from our Under 21 team!

Since Italy is not competing any more, I\'ll support England from now on.
Good luck England!

Italy
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
Llama attacks (2) Jun 23, 2004

2 x green gets you sent to zoo!

Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Was it a fix? Jun 23, 2004

beatbeat wrote:

I can see why you are disappointed. But with exactly 92 seconds left on the clock... Who do you honestly believe would have done otherwise, beatbeat? Gli Azzurri? Che ridicolo.

And while I\'m at it: Why did Denmark continue to attack when they were 2-1 up and group leaders? If Italy had any bottle they would have done the same thing when they were 1-0 up and cruising against Sweden. But no, oh no, they had to sit back and invite the Swedes back into the game.

And finally: Why on earth would Denmark willingly concede a goal to set up a quarter final with The Czech Republic, the best team in the tournament so far?

But you have to forgive the Italian players and the president of the Italian FA, for they know what they talk about: At the moment, 44 clubs in the Italian football league are under investigation by their own football association for match fixing.

Cheers,
Eivind
- disappointed because he had bet 30 Euros on Italy going all the way

Italy
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
Fake Jun 23, 2004

Eivind Lilleskjaeret wrote:

beatbeat wrote:

I can see why you are disappointed. But with exactly 92 seconds left on the clock... Who do you honestly believe would have done otherwise, beatbeat? Gli Azzurri? Che ridicolo.

They could at least fake playing...
We would certainly have done it! We are very good at it. Anyway, I repeat, we did not deserve to go on. So I do not mind!
Bye bye

Madeleine van Zanten
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
good fake Jun 23, 2004

Dear beatbeat had you watched the exerpts of teh game then you would have noticed that Danmark and Sweden played a lot harder than Italy in any of its games. At least the tifosi are out, they've been ruining soccer long enough with their calculating games Bye bye, from a Holland-fan

They could at least fake playing...
We would certainly have done it! We are very good at it. Anyway, I repeat, we did not deserve to go on. So I do not mind!
Bye bye[/quote]

Italy
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
- Jun 24, 2004

mvzanten wrote:

Dear beatbeat had you watched the exerpts of teh game then you would have noticed that Danmark and Sweden played a lot harder than Italy in any of its games. At least the tifosi are out, they've been ruining soccer long enough with their calculating games Bye bye, from a Holland-fan

[/quote]

Dear mvzanten,
that's exactly what I said. I completely agree with you. I just said it is quite a coincidence to end up exactly 2-2. Soccer is no more a game, we are not the only ones in Europe who fix matches.
Good luck to Holland!

P.S. "tifosi" is any supporter of any team. The nickname of our team is "Azzurri".

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Relaaax! Jun 24, 2004

Come on, an off-topic thread shouldn't be controversial - even though IMHO football is ALWAYS controversial if you support different teams

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Euro 2004

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs