Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: cena a lo British. Dinner in Britain
Thread poster: Silvina Morelli
Silvina Morelli
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2004

I´m a teacher of English as a Foreign Language and need to delight my students with a typical British dinner. Which starters, main courses and deserts are so typical? Any more ideas to marvel? Thanks!!! silvinamorelli@datamarkets.com.ar

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 00:57
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

beer-battered cod & chips with mushy peas Jun 26, 2004

and a pint of your finest bitter, guv'nor!

Perhaps trifle, a sponge-cake confection made with sherry, fresh fruit and Devon cream, for dessert, for those who have room for it

Enjoy!

Nancy

[Edited at 2004-06-26 01:26]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:57
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding Jun 26, 2004

with carrots, Brussels sprouts and brown gravy.
Soup: Brown Windsor (if you can find a recipe for it).
Dessert: Apple pie with custard (not with ice cream, that is US-style "pie a la mode").

Although according to a recent survey, the most popular meal in Britain is now chicken tikka masala!

[Edited at 2004-06-26 02:38]

Maria Luisa Duarte  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fish n' Chips My Favorite Dish Jun 26, 2004

I hope you can use this one! My Favorite Dish.This is England's most famous dish. Cod or pollack are the traditional fish, but you can use sole, flounder, or whitefish fillets. It is imperative, however, that you purchase a tabloid newspaper to serve your finished product.
MLD

Ingredients

2 Pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch thick chips
4 cod or haddock fillets (about 6 ounces each), cut in half lengthwise
Essence to taste
1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup dark beer
2 large egg yolks, beaten
6 tablespoons milk
6 tablespoons water
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 large eggs whites, beaten to stiff peaks
vegetable oil for deep frying
malt vinegar
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Emeril's Essence

Directions 1. Soak the potatoes in cold water to cover for 30 minutes before frying. Season the fish on both sides with Essence.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Add the beer, egg yolks, milk and water and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Fold in the egg whites.

3. Heat 6 inches of oil in a deep, heavy pot or an electric fryer to 360 degrees F. Dip the fillets in the batter, letting the excess drip off. Add the fish, several pieces at a time, and fry until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with Essence and keep warm.

4. Drain the potatoes and pat dry. Place them in a fry basket and fry in the hot oil for 3 minutes. Lift the basket out of the oil and drain over the fryer. Return the basket to the oil and fry until golden brown, another 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Serve the fish & n' chips on newspaper and drizzle with the vinegar and fresh lemon juice. Pass the tartar sauce.

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPES/RECIPES/Fish/fishandchips.html

[Edited at 2004-06-26 03:29]

Kit Cree  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
big breakfast Jun 26, 2004

big british breakfast is easy to cook. bacon, beans, mushrooms, fried bread, sausages, tomato ketchup, et voilà!

David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Typical British Dinner Jun 26, 2004

Starter...Scotch Broth
Main Course...Sausages and mash potato in brown onion gravy
Dessert....Egg Custard with any jam
Other main courses are Shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pie or pudding, all served with carrots, potatoes and a green (cabbage, brussell sprouts, brocolli etc. or of course peas)

My favourite when I was a child in Edinburgh
and one of my new Spanish family's favourites too!

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Shepherd's Pie Jun 26, 2004

A typical starter would probably be creamy tomato soup or prawn cocktail - something which practically every restaurant back home serves.

For the main course, you could try shepherd's pie. A base of minced meat, which I usually spice with paprika, tomato puree and tabasco. This is fried along with a mixture of vegetables, such as carrots, onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc (I usually take the easy way out and use frozen vegetables). Then you make a gravy (brown sauce) which is served with the meat - this concoction is then placed in a casserole dish, which is topped with mashed potato, which you can "cream up" with cream and butter. I then tend to top the mashed potato with cheese (preferably cheddar, or some other British one), nutmeg and, if you feel like it, (I think this is my mum's variation) tomatoes - It's very popular with all the Germans I know (I live in Germany). The dish is then placed in the oven to grill the topping for a few minutes.

Good luck!

Sarah

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
You forgot the roast tatties! Jun 26, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

Dessert: Apple pie with custard (not with ice cream, that is US-style "pie a la mode").

Although according to a recent survey, the most popular meal in Britain is now chicken tikka masala!

Recipe for Yorkshire pudding:
Yorkshire Pudding
¼ cup of bacon dripping
½ cup milk
1 egg, well-beaten
½ cup sifted all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt

Temp: 450º F Time: 10 - 15 min. I use a glass pie plate so if you also do, turn the heat down to 425°F.

(http://www.britainexpress.com/articles/Food/yorkshire-pudding.htm)

Roast potatoes:
Peel potatoes and cut in chunks and boil for 8 or 10 minutes. Pour the water away, put some salt in the pan with the potatoes, put the lid back on and shake well. Put the potatoes in an oven dish with oil that has been pre-heated in the oven. Put in the oven for 45 or 60 minutes (denpends on your oven). Watch your students faint with delight!

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Roast tatties ... Jun 26, 2004

are great when cooked with rosemary, but are also great done in a deep fat fryer ... that way they're even crispier

pawlik  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
go typical! Jun 26, 2004

The most typical dinner in Britain nowadays is chicken tikka masala. If you want to provide a real British evening out, then it's ten pints of lager each at the local and a trip to the nearest Indian for a vindaloo.

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
and the roast parsnips! Jun 27, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

You forgot the most important part - roast parsnips! They are rather difficult to get hold of here in Germany. If I can find them I usually buy 5 kg, which I blanch and freeze. Totally scrummy!

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Fish, roast potatoes and parsnips Jun 27, 2004

No, I am not recommending serving these together, I am replying to other answers.
To Maria: Don't forget plaice, which is probably the most popular fish for fish & chips after cod; or my own favourite, skate, which used to be widely available but is now only sold in fish & chip shops in or near fishing ports. From my childhood I also remember rock eel and rock salmon. I think rock salmon was what is now called coley, which can now only be bought raw - we boil it and feed it to our cat.
To Marijke: Yes indeed, how could I forget the roast potatoes? I recommend sprinkling them with onion salt after serving.
To Gillian: You are probably right about parsnips, but we don't like them in our family, so don't use them which explains why I forgot them.
I don't think fish & chips have been sold from shops in newspaper since the nineteen-forties. To do so now would no doubt breach some regulation or other.

louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fish and chips in paper Jun 28, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

I don\'t think fish & chips have been sold from shops in newspaper since the nineteen-forties. To do so now would no doubt breach some regulation or other.

Unfortunately you\'re right, Jack. However, chip shops do sometimes now buy approved-material paper which is printed to look like newspaper! Doesn\'t quite have that authentic taste, though!

I think the 40s might be a slight exaggeration though, I remember it in newspaper from my childhood and I\'m only 25

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Another Suggestion for a British Dinner Aug 2, 2004

Bueños tardes Silvina - and good morning (or good afternoon or ohaiô gozaimássu or whatever) to the rest of the participants in this prestigious forum!

My suggestion for an English dinner:

1. Start with soup, typical of a cold English winter. Crosse and Blackwell (or similar) oxtail and tomato soups are both great and very warming, or try my favourite, tha Asda Soup-A-Cup Chicken and Mushroom with croûtons.

2. Steak and kidney pie, preferably with Heinz baked beans on the side. Heinz baked beans are an English institution, people eat them all the time, even for breakfast! If you can get some HP Sauce, even better!

A recipe now follows:

Beef Steak and Kidney Pie Recipe

2 beef kidneys, sliced
1 pound round of beef, cubed
3 tablespoons Mazola
2 medium sized onions, sliced
1 medium sized carrot, shredded
5 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon Karo, Blue Label
3 tablespoons Argo or Kingsford's Cornstarch
Crust for meat pie

Soak the kidneys fifteen minutes in cold salted water, then slice. Pour the Mazola in a frying pan, brown the beef, onions and carrot in it, add the water and seasonings and simmer an hour. Add the kidneys, thicken with the cornstarch dissolved in an equal amount of cold water, transfer to a good-sized baking dish, cover with the crust for Meat Pie and bake from thirty-five to forty minutes in a moderately hot oven, 350 to 375 degrees F.

(Obtained from www.freerecipe.org/Main_Dish/Meat/Beef/BeefSteaka_hfja.htm)

2. For dessert (not "desert" as written), I would suggest trifle (as mentioned above), or a Ninety-Nine (Wall's vanilla ice-cream with a Cadbury's Flake inside), or Death by Chocolate, a rich chocolate cake often served in pubs.

3. After the meal, Cheddar cheese (or similar) with savoury biscuits. If you have an oxygen mask handy, Stilton could be an option. Other good English cheeses (no mask needed): Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Caerphilly, Cheshire.

4. Accompanying this, good old English tea. Typhoo and Asda Red Label are two well known brands, although probably not available overseas. Lipton is another well known brand that appears to be much more widely available.

5. As a grand finale to the meal, After Eight dinner mints.

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
chips in newspaper Aug 3, 2004

Just to clarify on the chips issue - chips are now often served in pre-printed newspaper sheets, that is, the paper before it is printed.
I'm sure the ink made them more tasty, mind.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cena a lo British. Dinner in Britain

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs