Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2004

I am really puzzled by teh behaviour of my CD-ROM players.

I have three, a hi-fi system, a ghetto blaster type job, and the computer.

The first two have refused to play CD-ROMs, just decided not to 'read'. But strangely enough, this doesn't always happen, i.e sometimes they decide top play, sometimes not.

So now I use my computer and every single one of my CD-ROMs works on it.

I keep the CD-ROMs clean with a special product. Moreover, I seem t
... See more

The first two have refused to play CD-ROMs, just decided not to 'read'. But strangely enough, this doesn't always happen, i.e sometimes they decide top play, sometimes not.

I keep the CD-ROMs clean with a special product. Moreover, I seem to have more problems with the newer CD-ROMs than the older ones, strangely enough.

I am old enough to remeber when CD-ROMs came out first, and were claimed to be indestructible. MENTIRA!!!! (as a character from Catalonia would say). They are quite delicate and have to be handled with a geta deal of care.

Yet whiy is my computer CD-ROM so resilient???????

I want to buy a 'good' system soon, but on the basis of my experience with CD-ROMs to date - I now have three or four systems in teh house in which the CD-ROM won't work - I am rather worried....

TIA:-)
Collapse

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Format of the files? Jul 8, 2004

Hi Ailish,

Maybe you already thought about that, but: What kind of files are on your CD ROMs - are they mp3 files?

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
¡VERITAT! Jul 8, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

I keep the CD-ROMs clean with a special product. Moreover, I seem to have more problems with the newer CD-ROMs than the older ones, strangely enough.

I am old enough to remeber when CD-ROMs came out first, and were claimed to be indestructible. MENTIRA!!!! (as a character from Catalonia would say). They are quite delicate and have to be handled with a geta deal of care.

Yet whiy is my computer CD-ROM so resilient???????

I want to buy a 'good' system soon, but on the basis of my experience with CD-ROMs to date - I now have three or four systems in teh house in which the CD-ROM won't work - I am rather worried....

TIA:-)

Ailish, if it were me, I'd let go and keep it feng-shui. I'd get a couple of good blastaman yo bro speakers for the PC and swap the other systems for plants at the local mercadillo. But that's only me.
Omnamashivaya under the sun to you
P
Ps: TDK tapes never die. Scratchy Incredible String Band hippy melodies recorded from a 33 rpm in 1985, that's one step before heaven, keeps one grounded to see those two tiny wee white toothed wheels merrygorounding for 45 m. A monoaural radio and tape rec player in the kitchen is also a must

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Burned CDs Jul 8, 2004

Are you talking about burned audio CDs? Older or cheap equipment can have problems playing them. Sometimes they can't be played at all, sometimes they can be played only if they were burned at a certain maximum speed (4x, 8x).

If you are planning to buy a new audio system, take your CDs to the shop and try to play them. Generally, new systems are compatible with CD-R and CD-RW formats, so you shouldn't have any problems.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
You're right, Hynek Jul 8, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Are you talking about burned audio CDs? Older or cheap equipment can have problems playing them. Sometimes they can't be played at all, sometimes they can be played only if they were burned at a certain maximum speed (4x, 8x).

If you are planning to buy a new audio system, take your CDs to the shop and try to play them. Generally, new systems are compatible with CD-R and CD-RW formats, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I was puzzled by this problem last Christmas when the CDs my brother burned and sent me just blanked, but played okay on the computer. I'll have to buy a new system if I want to keep up with the new technology, but then what's to say this won't be obsolute in 2 years with the next newest thing?
Man, life is complicated, eh?

syl

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
original music CDs Jul 8, 2004

I should have clarified that the CDs are NOT CD ROMs (I was not right in the head there when I was writing!) but original music CDs

Sorry for the confusion:-)

And yes, Paul, I have a huge collection of tapes, still going after 20 years! And at least it's clear when and why one won't work....

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
New cds have copy protection Jul 9, 2004

Copy protection causes problems for some older cd players, but should keep ys from using the cd on a computer. Cds don't need any special protection, I have some from the 80's which play still well. Never bother with fance protection means.
But if your disc player does not play the cd it could be broken, I find CD-players last considerably less than discs.

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CD players lasting less than discs? Jul 12, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I find CD-players last considerably less than discs.

That's what worries me!

I want to buy a 'proper' CD player, but am really freaked out - not by the money invstment - but by the thought of the fast accumulating tons of plastic rubbish in the form of obsolete technology....I would pay double or triple not to have that burden on my consciense.

I simply do not want to chuck out one CD player after another, without a thought about where it ends up!!!

When are manufacturers going to get environmentally friendly????????

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

playing music CD ROMs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »