Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2004

I have just bought a digital camera.

I finally installed the software on my computer, no problems.

I connected the cable between the camera and the computer and I get a message that the software "cannot locate" my camera.

I stuck the cable into the only plugs that it will fit in, so I suppose they are the USB ports (narrow vertical ones).

The camera is Olympus Camedia and teh software Camedia Master 4.2 (I think).

What's the problem?

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
This is what I did Jul 8, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

I have just bought a digital camera.

I finally installed the software on my computer, no problems.

I connected the cable between the camera and the computer and I get a message that the software \"cannot locate\" my camera.

I stuck the cable into the only plugs that it will fit in, so I suppose they are the USB ports (narrow vertical ones).

The camera is Olympus Camedia and teh software Camedia Master 4.2 (I think).

What\'s the problem?

TIA:-)

Hi Ailish,

I also have a digital camera which I use to copy pictures directly to my laptop.

My operating system is Windows XP. Have you tried the \"Add hardware\" feature in Control Panel?

If you haven\'t that may be the solution. If you have Windows XP Home Edition go to Start, click Control Panel, click Add Hardware and have your computer search for the camera. It will ask you if you have a disk, try that option first and place the installation CD in your CD Rom drive. If that doesn\'t work, skip that option and have Windows detect the new hardware by itself.

I had to bypass the CD ROM option the last time because my camera had been upgraded and Windows did not read the software I installed from the CD. So I went to the manufacturer\'s website, downloaded the upgrade, installed it and ran the Add Hardware option.

HTH

Belkis

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Be sure that: Jul 8, 2004

The connections are properly made
Your camera is switched on and set do data transmission mode
I don´t know, what type of memory card you use for your Olympus, but most of media should be recognised as a flash disk´by Windows XP. If it is not, check if the memory card is "enabled".
I have Minolta with CF card - and I can read the contents of the card without any additional drivers or software.

Regards
Jerzy

Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other direcories? Jul 8, 2004

Did you, by any chance, change the directories? It happened to me once with a USB scanner: installables on the one harddisk (e.g. H://), new equipment on the other (e.g. C://).... Just clicking my way through the installation caused this problem by hitting the "next" button and finally the "finish"... The software included in my scanner package regarded the other harddisk as the major one (due to an automated tag searcher, as I was told by the manufacturer)...

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
It's plug and play - do you have an available drive? Jul 8, 2004

I also have an Olympus digital camera and the Camedia program. However, you shouldn't really need the Camedia software for Windows to recognize the camera - it is truly plug and play.

I had some problems with Windows (XP Professional) recognizing the camera because I had no available drives - I had assigned all available drive letters to virtual CD drives, thus there was no way for Windows to assign a drive letter and recognize the camera as a removable storage medium. Once I had that fixed, things worked just fine. Don't know if that could be an issue with you, but that was really the only problem I had.

BTW, unlike Jerzy's Minolta, the Olympus should be turned OFF when you hook it into Windows (I just verified that by connecting mine).

I'm trying to remember the troubleshooting steps the Olympus tech support guy walked me through - something to do with a drive manager, if I recall - way deep in the bowels of the Control Panel. If I can reconstruct the steps, I'll add to my post. (In essence, by going through those steps, I could see that no drive letters were available, and I had to re-assign my virtual CD drive letters so that there was an available drive for the camera.)

One additional comment, after reading the installation instructions for the Camedia Master software: if you are running Win98/98SE, you need to install a USB driver (included on the CD-ROM).
According to the insert that came with my copy of Camedia, you also need to install the USB driver if you have an Olympus standard USB connection (whatever that means).

I don't have Camedia Master currently installed, so I can't reconstruct the problem you describe. However, I always let Windows copy the pictures to the computer (Windows Fax and Image Viewer) and started Camedia only to manipulate the images. Found that I didn't like it much (too cumbersome), and thus did not bother to install it after a system crash that necessitated a complete OS reinstall.

[Edited at 2004-07-08 21:21]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Better get a card reader... Jul 9, 2004

I had often problems on Win98 with a HP camera. Usually starting the computer anew helped.
But card readers are cheap today. If you use the camera much it helps a lot, as you can copy the pictures onto hard disk in a few seconds. But you have to have a free USB for this too.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still confused Jul 9, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The connections are properly made
Your camera is switched on and set do data transmission mode

I have switched on the camera to PLAYBACK mode, and teh field that appears is USB, with three options, PC, PRINT, EXIT.

Do you mean PC mode?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I mean data transfer mode Jul 9, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:
Do you mean PC mode?

Possibly it is how this is called by Olympus.
If you choose playback mode, then the camera will show you th pictures on its own display, but does not provide them on the connection with the PC - at least this is the case with my Minolta. Refer to the user manual of your Camedia. If you do not have a manual, consult the internet site of Olympus...

AFAIK you do not need any driver for reading memory cards.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Drivers are necessary for interpreting RAW data - I´m not sure, whether you Camedia does support this format. This is a camera specific data format, when JPG or TIFF can be easily read with any photo application, such as MS Photo Editor or Corel Photo Paint or similar.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm lost.... Jul 9, 2004

Ulrike Lieder wrote:

I had some problems with Windows (XP Professional) recognizing the camera because I had no available drives - I had assigned all available drive letters to virtual CD drives, thus there was no way for Windows to assign a drive letter and recognize the camera as a removable storage medium. Once I had that fixed, things worked just fine. Don't know if that could be an issue with you, but that was really the only problem I had.

You've lost me there, I really don't understand all that sort of stuff!

I'm trying to remember the troubleshooting steps the Olympus tech support guy walked me through - something to do with a drive manager, if I recall - way deep in the bowels of the Control Panel. If I can reconstruct the steps, I'll add to my post. (In essence, by going through those steps, I could see that no drive letters were available, and I had to re-assign my virtual CD drive letters so that there was an available drive for the camera.)]

Where can I get hold of this wonderful guy????

I don't have Camedia Master currently installed, so I can't reconstruct the problem you describe. However, I always let Windows copy the pictures to the computer (Windows Fax and Image Viewer) and started Camedia only to manipulate the images. Found that I didn't like it much (too cumbersome), and thus did not bother to install it after a system crash that necessitated a complete OS reinstall.

Now you really have me worried......!

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
Where to find the wonderful guy.... Jul 9, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

Where can I get hold of this wonderful guy????

Olympus tech support. Tech support numbers are listed on the cover for the Camedia CD.

I don't have Camedia Master currently installed, so I can't reconstruct the problem you describe. However, I always let Windows copy the pictures to the computer (Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard) and started Camedia only to manipulate the images. Found that I didn't like it much (too cumbersome), and thus did not bother to install it after a system crash that necessitated a complete OS reinstall.

Now you really have me worried......!

No need to worry, the system crashes were totally unrelated to Camedia Master. I just did not like working with the software; I find PaintShop Pro much more versatile.

But seriously, I simply plug the USB cable into my USB hub, the other end into the camera (there's only one way to do that), and Windows recognizes the camera.
My system has the following drives: C is the hard drive, D is the CD RW drive, and A is the floppy drive. E is the drive letter that Windows assigns to the camera when I plug it in. That automatically brings up the Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, and I can then go ahead and download the pictures from the camera to the computer. That's all there is to it.
(I also have a whole bunch of other, virtual drives - G thru Z - and that's where I had made a mistake when configuring a newly installed system - I didn't leave "room" for the camera, so Windows didn't know where to find it. Hope that makes sense.)

When you remove the camera, be sure to click on "safely remove hardware" (little icon with green arrow in the Task Tray) before unplugging it.

Don't know what else to tell you - I assume that you have Win XP or Win ME, so the OS should recognize the camera as soon as you plug it in.

One other thing you might want to try: plug the cable into one of the USB ports on the back of the computer (i.e. not into a USB hub or one of the USB ports in front of the machine) - Windows might recognize the camera then. Once Windows "knows" the camera, you can use a different, more conveniently located USB port.

Once you have transferred the images to your computer, you should be able to launch Camedia and work with it.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2004-07-09 03:13]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which operating system? Jul 9, 2004

Hi Ailish,
There's a vital piece of information missing in your post (apologies if you mentioned it subsequently, in which case I would have overlooked it) - which operating system are you using?

Best, Ralf

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Read the manual Jul 9, 2004

I suggest you read the manual and do *exactly* what it says. I installed my friend's Olympus camera just a few days ago and the instructions were very clear.

Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:59
English
Are USB ports enabled? Jul 9, 2004

Do you have any other USB devices connected that are working? If not, make sure the USB ports are enabled in the system BIOS. Older PC's have the USB ports set to 'DISABLED' by default.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry again Ralf! Jul 10, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Ailish,
There's a vital piece of information missing in your post (apologies if you mentioned it subsequently, in which case I would have overlooked it) - which operating system are you using?

Best, Ralf

Windows XP.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bad guess... Jul 11, 2004

...sorry Ailish, I was thinking along the lines of Win98 - XP should indeed recognise the camera automatically.

My wife's digicam is an Olypus Camedia 730, and Win XP Home recognises it without problems.

Best, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

USB port & digital camera

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs