Mobile menu

Off topic: 3.5.1 Which free web-based e-mail service would you recommend?
Thread poster: Olga Judina

Olga Judina  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:16
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2004

I need to setup a free e-mail account for a friend of mine who doesn't have regular internet access. It's very important that this account (unlike hotmail and maybe others) doesn't expire after a certain period of inactivity. Stable service is another important issue - I've been trying to reach Yahoo Mail all morning with no result and I think such experience would be very annoying for someone using the public internet access points. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
Suggestion Jul 12, 2004

I use
20mb free space

I'm not sure about the inactivity part though.

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
German to Italian
+ ...
lycos? Jul 12, 2004

I have a lycos address (15 mb web space) but I don't really use it, so I can't tell you if it's reliable or not. Anyway, I never had a problem with yahoo mail (100 mb now)

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:16
Try Jul 12, 2004

We have received good feedback on the free email at It gets less spam and has less of a delay before mail from will appear than do hotmail, yahoo and aol.

One complaint that we have seen is that there are problems with double byte characters. I am not sure whether or not this is still the case.

To try it, go to:

nordiste  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ... (but it's French ) Jul 12, 2004

I'm very satisfied with - but I don't know if they have an English interface. You can jave a look at

Cecilia Janhammar  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ... Jul 22, 2004

I have an extra account on and it's been extremely reliable. Never had spam in my inbox in two years!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3.5.1 Which free web-based e-mail service would you recommend?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs