Mobile menu

Off topic: Are you a high-quality service provider?
Thread poster: Elías Sauza

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:52
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2004

I'm sure that 99% of my fellow translators fall in the category of excellent service providers because they have to meet nearly-impossible deadlines and provide accurate, faithful translations.

The experience I describe below is just to illustrate what we must never do when we rendering a translation service.

Recently, I received an email from a friend who was on a barge moored by a river in the middle of nowhere in Texas. He was not able to make any calls from his mobile phone and asked me to call his service provider in Somewhere. I could not help him out in spite of having called the provider three times. Below are the answers I got from three different employees from the Customer Service:

Q1: A friend of mine is in Texas right now and he wants to use his mobile phone but he says he cannot make any calls. He has told me he’s supposed to use his mobile phone in the U.S. ¿Could you tell me what he can do?

A1: Ther's nothing to do about it. Before travelling to the U.S. he had to stop by one of our service centers and bring his telephone with him for us to provide him with a special code.

Q2: I’m travelling to Texas soon. I need to know whether I can use my mobile phone while I’m there to place calls to Somewhere.

A1: Of course, you can use your mophile phone in Texas to make calls to Somewhere. Just make sure you have enough credit and dial up normally. We have coverage in the U.S.-Somewhere Border States. However, this service is expensive and I recommend you to use…

Q3: Can I use my mobile phone in the U.S.? Where can I use it?

A3: Hold on, let me check… (After a long pause). Yes, I’ve been told you can use it in the U.S. as long as you are in a place close to the border, but we can't ensure it works at all times ... it all depends on where you are travelling to...

Have you ever experienced something similar Elsewhere?

Note: These calls are recorded to ensure a good service.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you a high-quality service provider?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs