Mobile menu

Off topic: On blunders revealed by Microsoft (cultural, linguistic)
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2004

Original title: Some misfortune for Big Brother! changed by moderator
http://asia.cnet.com/sg/0,39002190,39190820,00.htm

On blunders revealed by Microsoft.
Hope this hasn-t yet been posted elsewhere

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-08-23 11:05]

[Edited at 2004-08-23 11:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:01
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Interesting Aug 23, 2004

I've seen similar problems here in Chile with maps.

Twenty years ago I came to Chile on holidays and bought a Larousse dictionary. I don't remember whether it had been printed in Spain or Argentina, but in the second part, with proper nouns, the maps for Chile and Antartica had been hidden by another sheet with other maps.
This hasn't changed, last year I bought a world globe to my child and the vendor explained to me that anything containing a map (book, toy) and imported in order to be sold, has to be checked by the authorities (those related to limits and borders).

Claudia

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why chile? Aug 23, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

I\'ve seen similar problems here in Chile with maps.

Twenty years ago I came to Chile on holidays and bought a Larousse dictionary. I don\'t remember whether it had been printed in Spain or Argentina, but in the second part, with proper nouns, the maps for Chile and Antartica had been hidden by another sheet with other maps.
This hasn\'t changed, last year I bought a world globe to my child and the vendor explained to me that anything containing a map (book, toy) and imported in order to be sold, has to be checked by the authorities (those related to limits and borders).

Claudia

I wonder why. What problems can Chile have with maps? Could you explain this, Claudia?

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:01
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes, of course Aug 23, 2004

Chile and Argentina don't agree about how and where the border line is exactly in the south of our countries. So drawing the map according to Argentine authorities in Chile is a political problem.
I imagine that the same happens in Argentina.

Similar border problems exist between Peru and Ecuador, Venezuela and Colombia and many others in Latin America.

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:01
French to English
+ ...
From the article linked above Aug 23, 2004

"A Spanish-language version of Windows XP, destined for Latin American markets, asked users to select their gender between "not specified," "male" or "bitch," because of an unfortunate error in translation."

That'll be the last time they hire Snoop Dogg as their translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On blunders revealed by Microsoft (cultural, linguistic)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs