Mobile menu

Merriam-Webster's Unabridged, Fourth Edition?
Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2004

I heard about the fourth edition of this dictionary, but there is no information on the website

I have both the second and third editions of this dictionary and I would like to see a new edition, after almost 40 years. Any information?

[Edited at 2004-08-27 22:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:49
English to Turkish
+ ...
Another 7-10 years... Aug 28, 2004

Merhaba Selçuk.

A reader posted this on on April 4, 2004:

"A recent newspaper article stated that they don't plan to release the fourth edition of this dictonary for another 7 to 10 years. We're already looking at a dictionary that's 45 years old and it'll be 52+ years in age before it gets an update?"

This is third-hand information, but it's the best I could find.

Going by the comments on that page, I'd say this is a real gripe among Webster's users.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merriam-Webster's Unabridged, Fourth Edition?

Advanced search

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs