Merriam-Webster's Unabridged, Fourth Edition?
Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2004

I heard about the fourth edition of this dictionary, but there is no information on the website http://www.m-w.com

I have both the second and third editions of this dictionary and I would like to see a new edition, after almost 40 years. Any information?

[Edited at 2004-08-27 22:55]

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
Another 7-10 years... Aug 28, 2004

Merhaba Selçuk.

A reader posted this on Amazon.com on April 4, 2004:

"A recent newspaper article stated that they don't plan to release the fourth edition of this dictonary for another 7 to 10 years. We're already looking at a dictionary that's 45 years old and it'll be 52+ years in age before it gets an update?"

This is third-hand information, but it's the best I could find.

Going by the comments on that page, I'd say this is a real gripe amo
... See more
Merhaba Selçuk.

A reader posted this on Amazon.com on April 4, 2004:

"A recent newspaper article stated that they don't plan to release the fourth edition of this dictonary for another 7 to 10 years. We're already looking at a dictionary that's 45 years old and it'll be 52+ years in age before it gets an update?"

This is third-hand information, but it's the best I could find.

Going by the comments on that page, I'd say this is a real gripe among Webster's users.

Aziz
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merriam-Webster's Unabridged, Fourth Edition?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »