Off topic: Degrees for sale!
Thread poster: Francesca moletta

Francesca moletta
Local time: 16:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 16, 2004

Dear colleagues,

this morning I got an advertising email from such Helen Hollis who literally sells degrees, MA, PHD etc (no exams, no tests, she writes).

That's unbelievable!

Is that legal?
Did anybody receive the same kind of email?
Or was it just a virus? I guess so, because the subject was "RE"...

Be aware: one day we'll got an email saying:

or better

Direct link Reply with quote
German to Russian
+ ...
spam Sep 16, 2004

just another spam. relax. delete it. forget it.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:16
Flemish to English
+ ...
Scam Sep 16, 2004

There is degree selling "business" from people, who pretend to be associated with accredited universities.
It is a fraud. If anybody is so stupid to buy a degree, this could backfire.
Hé, I have an MBA-degree. Okay, now let's talk about the ROI of your MBA, Anova analysis, different depreciation methods, product positioning, the marketing mix, operations research, the Laffer curve, the prisoner paradigm, Activity Based Costing, Capital budgetting etc...
It do not have an MBA, but these are a few examples of what you will learn when you attend a management program.

[Edited at 2004-09-16 17:56]

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You've won a Ph D Sep 16, 2004

The best degree offer I received (so far) was a combination of lottery "Congratulation. You've won 3424012321002340082 Dollar" and degree selling "Get your Ph D now" emails. So, don't buy a title, wait until you've won one.

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
A matter of perspective Sep 16, 2004

Honorary degrees have been around for decades

[Edited at 2004-09-16 18:49]

Ashar  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
Member (2006)
English to Urdu
+ ...
Degrees selling; not new Sep 16, 2004

I have been receiving such mails where I was offered to buy a degree. When I replied to an e-mail and asked the sender why he was interested in selling the degrees even without exam, he gave the reply ,"... I believe everyperson has the right to get a degree and live a respectable life in society...."

And I was just speechless.

Carley Hydusik  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:16
Russian to English
+ ...
Ouch! Sep 17, 2004

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

Honorary degrees have been around for decades

[Edited at 2004-09-16 18:49]

I hope you are just citing another example of ways in which degrees are acquired rather than implying that honorary degrees are equal to degrees that have been bought... I think from your smiley face that the latter is not what you meant, right? I was present at the awarding of three honorary degrees, and the recipients had made outstanding contributions to society in the course of long careers...

Parrot  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Buy one -- and miss all the fun? Sep 17, 2004

One of the best things about a real PhD is writing the thesis

No kidding. Choose the university with the best take-home library in town and weild your library card with researchers' privileges for as long as they'll let you. Who's to question you when you say, "I want to see the incunabulae"?

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Why do you want a title? Sep 19, 2004

It is important to consider why one wants a title. If it's just for the sake of having a title, then I think one has missed the point. It's all about learning and researching - not buying or having. Even then, having a title doesn't guarantee anything; I've met plenty of unemployed PhD's...

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Extremely illegal Sep 21, 2004

My mother has been teaching at a community college for over two decades. Recently, the administration decided to do an internal personnel audit. One of her collegues was found to have bought an online PhD from Lasalle, which is not the same as the accredited institution. He had a Masters in Mathematics from a Romanian university, but with this bogus PhD he qualified for a pay hike in his teaching position.
This is very bad and highly unfair to the other professors and the students believing they had a teacher who was legitimately qualified.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Degrees for sale!

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs