Mobile menu

Off topic: Does anybody know this phrase?
Thread poster: arum
arum  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
German to English
Sep 21, 2004

Does anybody have a translation into English for theis phrase: 'Per sercas vi malkovri' (I don't even know what language this is). It is a quote attributed to JS Bach.

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:13
English to French
+ ...
Esperanto? Sep 21, 2004

According to the Xerox language identifier tool, it would be Esperanto.

Now, for a translation, I will leave that to those who know that language

danya
Local time: 14:13
English to Russian
+ ...
timing mismatch Sep 21, 2004

it's either Bach, or esperanto - you cannot conceivably have both

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:13
English to French
esperanto (confirmed) Sep 21, 2004

Good luck

arum  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bach translation Sep 21, 2004

danya wrote:

it's either Bach, or esperanto - you cannot conceivably have both

Point taken - I suggest it was translated into Esperanto this century Could it be an Esperanto version of 'Quaerendo invenietis' ('seek and ye shall find')- a postscript that Bach added to Canons 9 & 10 of 'Das Musikalische Opfer' (Musical Offering)?

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
By searching, you discover Sep 21, 2004

I don't know Esperanto, but by using an online dictionary, it appears to mean: "By searching, you discover".
I wonder if this is from the Bible: "Seek, and ye shall find."
(Matthew Chap. 7 verse 7; Luke Chap. 11 verse 9)

Tony Pratschke
Ireland
Local time: 11:13
Irish to English
+ ...
It may be Esperanto, but then it may be Bach! Sep 22, 2004

arum wrote:

Does anybody have a translation into English for theis phrase: 'Per sercas vi malkovri' (I don't even know what language this is). It is a quote attributed to JS Bach.

The words resemble Esperanto but the structure is incorrect. 'Per' means 'through, with, by' and should be followed by a noun or a participle; 'sercas' is not a word I recognise, but it may be 'serĉas' which is the present tense of 'serĉi' meaning 'to search'; 'vi' means 'you' and 'malkovri' means 'to uncover'. I suspect that Jack may be on the right track for the meaning but if he is right then the Esperanto should read: "Serĉu, kaj vi malkovros". Going back to Bach and translating the intention as "By searching you shall find" then that would translate in Esperanto as: "Per serĉanto, vi malkovros". I first learnt Esperanto in 1957 so I hope that it has not become too rusty!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody know this phrase?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs