Mobile menu

Off topic: Does anybody know this phrase?
Thread poster: arum
arum  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:28
German to English
Sep 21, 2004

Does anybody have a translation into English for theis phrase: 'Per sercas vi malkovri' (I don't even know what language this is). It is a quote attributed to JS Bach.

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
English to French
+ ...
Esperanto? Sep 21, 2004

According to the Xerox language identifier tool, it would be Esperanto.

Now, for a translation, I will leave that to those who know that language

danya
Local time: 17:28
English to Russian
+ ...
timing mismatch Sep 21, 2004

it's either Bach, or esperanto - you cannot conceivably have both

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
English to French
esperanto (confirmed) Sep 21, 2004

Good luck

arum  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:28
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bach translation Sep 21, 2004

danya wrote:

it's either Bach, or esperanto - you cannot conceivably have both

Point taken - I suggest it was translated into Esperanto this century Could it be an Esperanto version of 'Quaerendo invenietis' ('seek and ye shall find')- a postscript that Bach added to Canons 9 & 10 of 'Das Musikalische Opfer' (Musical Offering)?

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
By searching, you discover Sep 21, 2004

I don't know Esperanto, but by using an online dictionary, it appears to mean: "By searching, you discover".
I wonder if this is from the Bible: "Seek, and ye shall find."
(Matthew Chap. 7 verse 7; Luke Chap. 11 verse 9)

Tony Pratschke
Ireland
Local time: 14:28
Irish to English
+ ...
It may be Esperanto, but then it may be Bach! Sep 22, 2004

arum wrote:

Does anybody have a translation into English for theis phrase: 'Per sercas vi malkovri' (I don't even know what language this is). It is a quote attributed to JS Bach.

The words resemble Esperanto but the structure is incorrect. 'Per' means 'through, with, by' and should be followed by a noun or a participle; 'sercas' is not a word I recognise, but it may be 'serĉas' which is the present tense of 'serĉi' meaning 'to search'; 'vi' means 'you' and 'malkovri' means 'to uncover'. I suspect that Jack may be on the right track for the meaning but if he is right then the Esperanto should read: "Serĉu, kaj vi malkovros". Going back to Bach and translating the intention as "By searching you shall find" then that would translate in Esperanto as: "Per serĉanto, vi malkovros". I first learnt Esperanto in 1957 so I hope that it has not become too rusty!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody know this phrase?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs