Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:26
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 29, 2004

Dear all

I just received an e-mail stating:"On behalf of International WHO'S WHO of Professionals, I am pleased
to inform you that you have been nominated as a candidate for
inclusion in the 2004-2005 edition. We congratulate you.
Nomination to WHO'S WHO is an honor in itself. WHO'S WHO has over
20,000 members in 154 countries. It is the most elite professional
network in the world. The members assist each other daily with
business and career opportunities. It is in times like these that
such a network is most valuable and we are seeing members help other
members expand their businesses, find new positions, even relocate
to another country."

This must be a scam... Did anyone of you receive a simular e-mail?

thanks in advance for your input -))

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
This has been around for a long time Sep 29, 2004

I have received their invitation by mail several times. I think "Who is Who" is located in the UK. However, as far as I know, it is not a scam. If you want, you can write about your own achievements and they will publish it on a "Who is Who" magazine, and therefore, they claim that "the whole world will get to know you and your achievements." Of course, you have to pay them to get your spot on that magazine. They try to convince you that you have earned your spot there through your hard work, and that others should know about you and your glorious development and success now... Maybe it was just me, but I got the feeling that they were more interested on my money, rather than on my success.

Personally I found this amusing, especially when I red a few samples, so I did not bother replying to them. However, there are a lot of people who use "Who is Who" and that's how the people at "Who is Who" make their living.

Hope this helps,
Monika

Channa Montijn wrote:

This must be a scam... Did anyone of you receive a simular e-mail?

thanks in advance for your input -))

[Edited at 2004-09-29 17:39]

Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
Most probably a scam... Sep 29, 2004

...here are two interesting links:

http://www.internationalwhoswho.de/

http://www.complaints.com/september2002/complaintoftheday.september5.1.htm

Regards from Antje
(who received this mail for the second time today...)

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meaningless ............... Sep 29, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

If you want, you can write about your own achievements and they will publish it on a "Who is Who" magazine, and therefore, they claim that "the whole world will get to know you and your achievements." Of course, you have to pay them to get your spot on that magazine.

A bit like those degrees they offer you that you "deserve", becuase you have worked in some area all your life .......:-)

davidgreen
German to English
rule of thumb Sep 30, 2004

People, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that you will never received an unsolicited offer for anything via email that you will actually want (outside of translation work). The obvious spam offers are the ones that go into your bulk mail folder. No one is making genuine "special offers" in mass mailings. In any event, in this case I'm sure there is a fee to be paid somewhere.

Cristina Lazaro  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Probably not a scam, but... Sep 30, 2004

I also received their invitation a couple of times, a few years ago, after getting my degree in the US. I also got the feeling that they were more interested in my money than in anything else. However, I thought it was funny when I saw in the CV of a couple of quite respected researchers in Spain that they list their inclusion in the Who is Who publication as a "professional achievement".

Greetings,

Cristina

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 30, 2004

Thank you all for your reply... I did fill in a form but had a great laugh at the same time... ridiculous, me in Who is Who... who cares -))
I wonder were they get the e-mailaddresses from... but that goes for all spammail...

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Have a lovely day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is Who e-mail

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs