Off topic: Exchanging national driving licence for EU model
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2004

I exchanged my very tattered GB licence last year - in Ireland - for the compact, glossy EU model of driving licence. I am just about to insure a car and realise - to my horror- that the issue date is 2003, when in fact I have held a licence for 20 years!

So it looks like I only just got my licence; apart from the fact that it's not true, I can just see the hassle I might get from the porridge-faced Spanish functionary when he/she reads this at face value.

Has anybody exchanged a licence recently and how did they prove that they had held their licence for longer?

I have thrown out all old insurance papers, which is a bit tragic, as I usually keep EVERYTHING:-(

[Edited at 2004-09-30 22:46]

[Edited at 2004-09-30 22:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ever paid a fine to the DGT? Sep 30, 2004

It might work... or any other DGT record.

[Edited at 2004-09-30 23:31]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:29
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Ideas Oct 1, 2004

Hi Ailish

Several directions:

- I'd ask about the problem the insurance company first, they might believe you or have a way to check in an easier way than you (since I use International licenses, valid 3 years, insurance companies believe me).

- the place where you got your new licence, in Ireland: they should have written in the new one that it was an exchange and that the previous one had been delivered on ...date. I think that writing to them, or better, asking someone to go there and get a certificate could work.

- If you have anywhere your previous licence number (a photo album maybe?) it could also help to find everything related to your driving behavior before the new licence (computers do keep information)

- Contact your previous insurance companies, they do have the information that you don't have any more.

Well, that was my brainstorming hope it helps.

Claudia

Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:29
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
No need to worry... Oct 1, 2004

Good morning! I got my license in South Africa in 1979, had it transferred to an international license in 1987, when I moved to Germany, then exchanged it for a German license, and finally, in 2003, got my squeaky-clean plastic card with Date of Issue 2003. At the beginning of this year I was caught speeding

The cop took my license, went to his radio, and within 5 minutes came back grinning madly. He said, he would have let me off if I had only had my license for a year, but seeing I was an old hand (he knew the exact date of first license issue) he would have to fine me after all! In other words, it was all stored in their central computer.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Drive carefully. Regards, Kathinka

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:29
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Why not contact the UK DVLA Oct 1, 2004

asking them to send you the date of issue of the original licence that they issued, from their records. You'd probably have to prove your identity in some way, but that shouldn't be a problem. I guess a written answer might not be immediate though.

address, etc at:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/contact/dvla_custenq.htm

Kit Cree  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
it's all on 'the' computer.... Oct 1, 2004

i exchanged my GB licence for a spanish licence a few years ago but i still get problems from new insurance companies who check the records and find i passed my test when i was 17 - legal in the UK but not in Spain. so, don't worry and for once be glad that you are a number and not just a name....

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Do they vary from country to country? Oct 1, 2004

Hi,
I also just received my my glossy EU driving licence and it clearly states the date of first issue: it's item no 10 (on a back side of it). Item no 4a (front side) is the date of issue of this very card.
I would expect that driving licences should have all the same format throughout EU, no?

Magda

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Be warned! Oct 1, 2004

Thanks to all for their answers:-)

The story is - after phoning a number of insurance companies - that I need a copy of my original licence or a certificate from the office that issued my new licence.

So be warned, if you plan to change your national licence for a EU one, it will only be dated with the date of issue of the NEW licence and to prove that you had a licence from before that data you will need a copy of your old licence.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Kit Oct 1, 2004

Kit Cree wrote:

i exchanged my GB licence for a spanish licence a few years ago but i still get problems from new insurance companies who check the records and find i passed my test when i was 17 - legal in the UK but not in Spain. so, don\'t worry and for once be glad that you are a number and not just a name....

Kit, you probably had the new model GB licence so the exchange was straighforward (just a language change really), but mine was the old one that unfolded into a number of pages.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Magda Oct 1, 2004

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi,
I also just received my my glossy EU driving licence and it clearly states the date of first issue: it's item no 10 (on a back side of it). Item no 4a (front side) is the date of issue of this very card.
I would expect that driving licences should have all the same format throughout EU, no?

Magda

I exchanged a GB one for an Irish-EU one, but live in Spain. Maybe I wouldn't have had problems if I had exchanged an old Irish one for a new Irish-EU one.

My model doesn't have a number 10. It just says the from/to date 2003-20013, i.e. its validity. It doesn't say that I had a previous licence for over 20 years.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exchanging national driving licence for EU model

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs