Off topic: English singalongs
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:55
German to English
Oct 8, 2004

Back in my wild and woolly days, when the most important place for me to be was in a pub in Germany called the Rose and Crown (in the Oberpfalz, Bavaria), a construction crew from Liverpool livened up the place with singalongs. The one I enjoyed most of all went something like this: MC: "who can play the clarinet?" Member of audience: "I can play the clarinet" Everybody: "Kim can play the clarinet."
Has anyone ever heard this one before, and if so, do you know how the whole thing goes?

Renowned Singalong in Group
We let the people pick their songs out of a collection of 100 well known singalong songs. This gets the whole room really excited! People love singing in a Group! Everything is live, so no "artificial beat stuff". We create a real bonfire atmosphere but without the annoying smoke! So, if you're young or a little older, still studying, member of a club, living in an old people's home, facing a handicap or whatever, we go along with your choice of songs! And you can just listen and enjoy it or sing along with it and give it you're all!
http://www.andyendi.centerall.com/custom2.php

[Edited at 2004-10-08 16:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:55
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Rise up singing Oct 8, 2004

I don't recognize the song you're describing, Kim, but I have this absolutely fabulous book called 'Rise up Singing'- a collection of over 1200 traditional songs (lyrics and guitar chords & sources (Introduction by Pete Seeger.) It also includes songs by singer-songwriters such as Joni Mitchell, The Mama's and the Papas, James Taylor, Leonard Cohen. I briefly 'scanned' the various sections, but without a title it's hard to find. The ISBN number is 0-9626704-9-9, Paperback. It was once US$17.95 but that was in 1992. Even if you don't find your song in there, it's a great book to have if you enjoy folk music.
HTH,
johanna

Grace Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:55
Member (2003)
Italian to English
"I am the Music Man" Oct 8, 2004

Is this what you mean, Kim?

This is a children's version -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/tweenies/songtime/songs/i/iamthemusicman.shtml

listen to it (hic!) and have one on me....

Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dutch singalong groups Oct 8, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:

Renowned Singalong in Group
We let the people pick their songs out of a collection of 100 well known singalong songs. This gets the whole room really excited! People love singing in a Group! Everything is live, so no "artificial beat stuff". We create a real bonfire atmosphere but without the annoying smoke! So, if you're young or a little older, still studying, member of a club, living in an old people's home, facing a handicap or whatever, we go along with your choice of songs! And you can just listen and enjoy it or sing along with it and give it you're all!
http://www.andyendi.centerall.com/custom2.php

[Edited at 2004-10-08 16:29]

In our community centre there's a "singalong cafe" every 4th Friday of the month. Sometimes there are so many singers, we must use the big hall as well as the pub... How we go about it? Like the group Kim mentioned: the regular musicians hand out a list of 5 songs (including the lyrics books) and start playing after a short vote. After the first song everyone picks a new one from the book. Young and old, "nightingales" and "crows"...
Everyone can drop in and walk out to their liking, but so far nobody has gone home before 2am....
The nicest thing about that "cafe": even the musicians are occasionally joined by guest players...

Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
"I'm the Music Man" Oct 8, 2004

Grace Anderson wrote:

Is this what you mean, Kim?

This is a children\'s version -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/tweenies/songtime/songs/i/iamthemusicman.shtml

listen to it (hic!) and have one on me....

Yes, Grace, that\'s it! Thank you for bringing back the old days.
To get in the right mood, it also helps to pass around the \"boot\"!

---
Beer from the boot

OK, passing a large glass shaped like a boot and full of beer around a table, with each member of a party trying to drink a lot and then send it along without a) spilling a drop and b) lowering the glass is more about drinking than stopping to taste the beer.
Why a boot? The story goes that during a grueling siege on a town, a Persian general promised his troops he would drink his beer from his boot if they could finally take the town. The troops took the town and the general had to deliver on his promise. Having the good sense not to drink from a vessel where his toes had been, he had a friend fashion him a new boot made out of glass.
How to you drink from one? Yes, it makes a difference. You want to drink from the side of the boot rather than the back, because otherwise air will get trapped in the toe. In the long run that means you\'ll be taking on more air, filling your stomach faster and leading to more, well, burping.

http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbreak/archives/beerbreak20020411.php

Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
English singalongs Oct 8, 2004

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

'Rise up Singing'- Even if you don't find your song in there, it's a great book to have if you enjoy folk music.
HTH,
johanna

Thank you for the reference, Johanna. It sounds like fun. I might send a copy to my son who's learning the guitar. Then we can all sing along together.
Kim

Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dutch singalongs Oct 8, 2004

Bianca Adriaensen wrote:

In our community centre there's a "singalong cafe" every 4th Friday of the month. Sometimes there are so many singers, we must use the big hall as well as the pub... How we go about it? Like the group Kim mentioned: the regular musicians hand out a list of 5 songs (including the lyrics books) and start playing after a short vote. After the first song everyone picks a new one from the book. Young and old, "nightingales" and "crows"...
Everyone can drop in and walk out to their liking, but so far nobody has gone home before 2am....
The nicest thing about that "cafe": even the musicians are occasionally joined by guest players...

Sounds like a lot of fun, Bianca. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll drop in one night and join in! Who knows?
All the best, Kim

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Beer from the boot ??? Oct 9, 2004

Are we really letting this guy over to the Düsseldorf Powwow

[Edited at 2004-10-09 07:12]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English singalongs

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs