Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Off topic: The rules of cricket...
Thread poster: Timothy Barton

Timothy Barton
Local time: 15:47
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2004

I've never found a translation of the following amusing rules of cricket:

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when
he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's
out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in
and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get
those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in
and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who
are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes
in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two
men called umpires who stay out all the time and they
decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides
have been in and all the men have been given out, and
both sides have been out twice after all the men have
been in, including those who are not out, that is the
end of the game!"

I wondered whether anyone fancied proposing a translation. When I eventually set up my own website, I'd like to include a page with this text in different languages.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
moya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
French to English
+ ...
thanks, but,...so how is it played??? Oct 28, 2004

Timothy Barton wrote:

I've never found a translation of the following amusing rules of cricket:

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when
he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's
out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in
and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get
those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in
and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who
are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes
in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two
men called umpires who stay out all the time and they
decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides
have been in and all the men have been given out, and
both sides have been out twice after all the men have
been in, including those who are not out, that is the
end of the game!"

I wondered whether anyone fancied proposing a translation. When I eventually set up my own website, I'd like to include a page with this text in different languages.


Well, ... this really does enlighten my knowledge of cricket ;o)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Babelfish French version Oct 28, 2004

I thought I'd see what Babelfish made of this, so I tried it for translation into French, with this result:

"Vous avez deux côtés, un dehors dans le domaine et un dans. Chaque homme qui est dans le côté qui sort dedans, et quand il est dehors il entre et le prochain homme entre jusqu'à il est dehors. Quand ils sont tous dehors, le côté qui est dehors entre et le côté qui a été dedans sort et essaye pour obtenir ceux qui entrent, dehors. Parfois vous obtenez toujours des hommes dedans et pas dehors. Quand un homme sort pour entrer, les hommes qui sont hors de l'essai pour l'obtenir dehors, et quand il est dehors il entre et le prochain homme sort et entre dedans. Il y a deux hommes appelés les arbitres qui restent hors de toute l'heure et ils décident quand les hommes qui sont dedans sont dehors. Quand les deux côtés ont été dedans et tous les hommes ont été donnés dehors, et les deux côtés ont été dehors deux fois après que tous les hommes aient été dans, y compris ceux qui ne sont pas dehors, cette est l'extrémité du jeu!"

So now our French colleagues can understand everything about cricket!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MLeiria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:47
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No more doubts for me... Oct 28, 2004

I used to think I would never understand cricket,

now I know I'll never will


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:47
German to English
+ ...
Babelfish German version Oct 28, 2004

I just had to try out Jack's idea in German. Here's the result:

"Sie haben zwei Seiten, eine heraus auf dem Gebiet und eine Zoll. Jeder Mann, der in der Seite ist, die, die erlischt innen ist, und wenn er heraus ist er hereinkommt und der folgende Mann geht innen, bis er heraus ist. Wenn alle sie heraus sind, kommt die Seite, die heraus ist, und die Seite, die innen gewesen wird, ausgeht und versucht, die zu erhalten herein, die, heraus hereinkommen. Manchmal erhalten Sie Männer noch innen und nicht heraus. Wenn ein Mann ausgeht, innen zu gehen, erlischt die Männer, die aus dem Versuch sind, zum er heraus zu erhalten und wenn er heraus er geht innen ist und der folgende Mann innen und geht innen. Es gibt zwei Männer, die Schiedsrichter angerufen werden, die aus der ganzer Zeit bleiben und sie entscheiden, wann die Männer, die innen sind, heraus sind. Wenn beide Seiten innen gewesen sind und alle Männer heraus gegeben worden sind und beide Seiten heraus zweimal gewesen sind, nachdem alle Männer in gewesen sind, einschließlich die, die nicht heraus sind, dieses ist das Ende des Spiels!"

I don't think that professional translators have anything to worry about...

[Edited at 2004-10-28 12:57]

[Edited at 2004-10-28 18:53]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
English to French
+ ...
Hum! Oct 28, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:
So now our French colleagues can understand everything about cricket!


I'm just more lost than ever


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Timothy Barton
Local time: 15:47
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Traducción automática Oct 28, 2004

Jack Doughty wrote:

I thought I'd see what Babelfish made of this, so I tried it for translation into French, with this result:

"Vous avez deux côtés, un dehors dans le domaine et un dans. Chaque homme qui est dans le côté qui sort dedans, et quand il est dehors il entre et le prochain homme entre jusqu'à il est dehors. Quand ils sont tous dehors, le côté qui est dehors entre et le côté qui a été dedans sort et essaye pour obtenir ceux qui entrent, dehors. Parfois vous obtenez toujours des hommes dedans et pas dehors. Quand un homme sort pour entrer, les hommes qui sont hors de l'essai pour l'obtenir dehors, et quand il est dehors il entre et le prochain homme sort et entre dedans. Il y a deux hommes appelés les arbitres qui restent hors de toute l'heure et ils décident quand les hommes qui sont dedans sont dehors. Quand les deux côtés ont été dedans et tous les hommes ont été donnés dehors, et les deux côtés ont été dehors deux fois après que tous les hommes aient été dans, y compris ceux qui ne sont pas dehors, cette est l'extrémité du jeu!"

So now our French colleagues can understand everything about cricket!


Après que +subj.!!! That's one mistake an automatic translation shouldn't make!

Just in case anyone thinks the text was serious, it's just a joke. If you really want to understand the rules, the national federations of countries that don't play much cricket usually have short summaries on their websites.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's perfectly simple really Oct 29, 2004

Timothy Barton wrote:

Just in case anyone thinks the text was serious, it's just a joke. If you really want to understand the rules, the national federations of countries that don't play much cricket usually have short summaries on their websites.


There's also a comparison of cricket and baseball at the following page: www.dangermouse.net/cricket/baseball.html. Might be useful for our North American friends. This website also has a pretty decent glossary on cricketing terms.

By the way, just for good measure, here's the Babelfish translation into Spanish. Almost as hilarious as watching Devon Malcolm with a bat in his hand:

"Usted tiene dos lados, uno hacia fuera en el campo y uno adentro. Cada hombre that's en el lado that's adentro sale, y cuando viene he's hacia fuera él adentro y el hombre siguiente entra hasta he's hacia fuera. Cuando son todos hacia fuera, el lado that's hacia fuera viene adentro y el lado that's estado adentro sale e intenta conseguir ésos que vienen adentro, hacia fuera. Usted todavía consigue a veces a hombres adentro y no hacia fuera. Cuando un hombre sale entrar, los hombres que están fuera del intento para conseguirlo hacia fuera, y cuando él está hacia fuera él entra y el hombre siguiente sale y entra adentro. Hay dos hombres llamados los árbitros que permanecen fuera de toda la hora y deciden cuando los hombres que están adentro están hacia fuera. Cuando ambos lados han estado adentro y han dado todos los hombres hacia fuera, y ambos lados han estado hacia fuera dos veces después de que todos los hombres hayan estado en, incluyendo los que no estén hacia fuera, ese es el extremo del game!"

The Aussies are nearing the "extremo" of the third test against India as we speak. Reports of McGrath and co's demise seem to have been premature, unfortunately. Just wait 'til next year boys.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The rules of cricket...

Advanced search






LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums