Mobile menu

Off topic: Travelling to Dublin - need advice
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
English to German
+ ...
Nov 9, 2004

I will be travelling to Dublin for a one week stay. I have heard about weekly bus/rail tickets, and just wanted to ask whether someone can advise me what would be the best to purchase.

Dublin Bus and DART offer a combination ticket which allows to use both services, but excludes Airlink. The Bus ticket alone on the other side includes Airlink, so I was wondering whether it is sufficient to have the Bus ticket without DART.

I will be travelling with my husband and my 17 months old son. I assume that children under 2 years travel free. However, so far only the DART website confirmed this. I have not been able to find this information on the Dublin Bus website. Does anyone know from own experience if children under 2 years travel free on buses?

And since this is my first visit to Dublin, is there anything I absolutely need to see that is not listed in any tourist guide?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kieran Sheehan  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
German to English
Bus or Dart Nov 9, 2004

The choice between bus or Dart will depend partly on where you are staying in Dublin. The Dart travels along the Dublin coastline connecting the northern and southern sides of the city. So, if you are staying in the area of the coast you will probably want a combined bus-dart ticket. If, on the other hand, you are staying in one of Dublin's more inland city districts you might not necessarily need the Dart component, although it provides a nice view of Dublin Bay.

Hope this helps a little

Stephen Mulraney
Polish to English
transport in Dublin Nov 10, 2004

I was convinced that children under three travel free on Dublin Bus - they do on the national coach service (Bus Eireann) and the Dublin tram lines, but I can't find anything on the web to support it - more research needed.

Don't worry about the Airlink - there are many other "ordinary" Dublin Bus services that pick up from the airport terminal. The main advantage of the Airlink is that it stops off at a number of other transport hubs (train & coach stations). Have a look here:

You can see the airport in the upper left of the map - clicking there gives you a page of links to the relevant timetables.

As well as the DART, there are two new tram lines (called "Luas"), which might be of use to you. Have a look at for more info. Notice that it's also possible to get combined tram/bus tickets (Though apparantly the rules state that they must be validated on a bus before use on a tram!!).

If you're going to be travelling around the city, a bus ticket won't go astray. Whether the other services (DART & Luas) would be more suited depends on where you'll be located and where you'll be going to (all over the city? or the same route each day?). Feel free to contact me ( if you need advice about which locations are on the Luas & DART lines.

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Hop On Hop Off tour Nov 10, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
since this is my first visit to Dublin

You might have already seen this

It could really help you to get a grasp of the city. Drivers are usually very good and entartaining guides and the service is really flexible: you just get off when you feel you want to spend some time at a certain spot and get on the following bus passing by, or walk from one stop to another.

Personally I hate coach tours but once I had only half a day time to show my parents around and we hopped on the bus... The best idea ever! Although I had been to Dublin several times, it really only started to make (geographical) sense to me that day. It's become a must everytime we take friends to Dublin.

It a great introduction to the city, go for it!
Enjoy Dublin

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Spanish to English
children under two are definitely free Nov 10, 2004

on Dublin bus, and don't take Airlink, you can get an ordinary Dublin bus at the airport for way cheaper, and lots of room for baggage on it.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Thank you all! Nov 10, 2004

Thanks to all of your for your kind help on this.

Although it still does not seem to be easy to decide which ticket to buy, I appreciate all your comments. indeed is a great community. With members all over the world, one never gets lost.

United Kingdom
Local time: 11:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
bus Nov 13, 2004

I agree with the others, take a regular bus from the airport. The special one is a tourist rip off in my opinion. 4 euro I believe, while a normal ticket is a lot cheaper. I would wait with buying a ticket when you're there. Depending on where you are you might want to walk instead of taking the bus all the time. You can buy tickets on the bus.

One warning. If there is a time table at all, it gives the time of departure from its first station. So, it might be a good idea to ask people around how long it will take the bus to get to that point. Could save you half an hour in the rain

Things to see: there are two great shopping streets, one on each side of the river, and loads and loads of pubs. You can have dinner in a pub, and the atmosphere is usually brilliant. If it is nice weather and you have time, take a dart to malahide or howth for a nice walk on the beach and a nice fish and chips.

In dublin you can go for some cheap nice food to a covered placa with all kind of fast food restaurants, like indian e.g. The tables are in the middle, so you don't all need to take the same. It is close to the pravda (a pub, of course), away from the river.

TIP: bring airtight warm clothes, and waterproof shoes. Even though Irish women seem to be cold resistant, most of the rest of the world is not. And the wind is sooo verrrrry cold!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Travelling to Dublin - need advice

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs