Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: For fun: Do You Know An Email Addict?
Thread poster: Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:11
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 19, 2004

You know you are an e-mail addict when at least two of the following apply to you...

1) You wake up at 2 a.m. to go to the bathroom and stop to check your e-mail on the way back to bed.

2) You get a tattoo that reads "This body best viewed with Internet Explorer 2.0 or higher."

3) You name your children Eudora, Mozillia and Dotcom.

4) You turn off your modem and get this awful empty feeling, like you just pulled the plug on a loved one.<
... See more
You know you are an e-mail addict when at least two of the following apply to you...

1) You wake up at 2 a.m. to go to the bathroom and stop to check your e-mail on the way back to bed.

2) You get a tattoo that reads "This body best viewed with Internet Explorer 2.0 or higher."

3) You name your children Eudora, Mozillia and Dotcom.

4) You turn off your modem and get this awful empty feeling, like you just pulled the plug on a loved one.

5) You spend half the plane trip with your laptop on your lap and your child in the overhead compartment.

6) You decide to stay in college for an additional year or two, just for the free Internet access.

7) You laugh at people with 9600-baud modems.

8) You start using smilies in snail mail.

9) Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. You start to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial your ISP's access number. You try to hum to communicate with the modem .... and you succeed.

10) You find yourself typing "com" after every period when using a word processor.com

11) You refer to going to the bathroom as "downloading."

12) You start introducing yourself as "JohnDoe at AOL dot com."

13) Your cat has its own home page.

14) All of your friends have an @ in their names.

15) You can't call your mother .... she doesn't have a modem.

16) You check your e-mail. It says "No new messages." So you check it again.

17) Your phone bill comes to your doorstep in a box.

18) You move into a new house and decide to Netscape before you landscape.

19) You tell the cab driver you live at http://1000.Madison.ridge/house/brick.html"

20) You get up at 4:45 am and login so you can use the computer before your husband gets up and hogs it for the rest of the day!

HAHAHA! Do You Know An Email Addict?

[Edited at 2004-11-19 22:50]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Me Nov 19, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

You know you are an e-mail addict when...

Do You Know An Email Addict?

Still waiting for an email to come, allready checked, nothing there, so I quit here to go and check once again.

Cheers
Jerzy

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I hope ... Nov 19, 2004

this is not one of those tests that tell you that if you answer a certain amount of questions with yes you are an addict?! The good news: Not everything applies to me! I'm not an addict, I could stop anytime, I just don't want to
Lydia

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
AND ME... :-( Nov 19, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

You know you are an e-mail addict when...

4) You turn off your modem and get this awful empty feeling, like you just pulled the plug on a loved one.

HAHAHA! Do You Know An Email Addict?

Oh My God...! What will I do now? Everybody knows it!:-)

Absolutely great!
Thank you!!

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 18:11
English to French
+ ...
Count me in! Nov 19, 2004

with a variation on # 17: my phone bill comes... online! They send me an email when it's ready.

Should I get help?

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
Me! Nov 19, 2004

My goodness! I have three of these!

Monika Coulson wrote:

7) You laugh at people with 9600-baud modems.

18) You move into a new house and decide to Netscape before you landscape.

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Horreur! Nov 19, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

Are there actually people who turn off their modems? Really?
P

Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
English to Arabic
Oh Dear Nov 20, 2004

[quote]Monika Coulson wrote:

5) You spend half the plane trip with your laptop on your lap and your child in the overhead compartment.

9) Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. You start to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial your ISP's access number. You try to hum to communicate with the modem .... and you succeed.

I think I'm in too. Nothing can describe my condition better than this.

Regards Monika

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
I suspected something was wrong with me... Nov 20, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

8) You start using smilies in snail mail.

15) You can't call your mother .... she doesn't have a modem.

20) You get up at 4:45 am and login so you can use the computer before your husband gets up and hogs it for the rest of the day!

... thank you for this diagnostic tool

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:41
English to Hindi
+ ...
Me too... Nov 20, 2004

My answer is yes for
3 (my daughter's name is "cookie"),
6(I am not changing my job because I have a free internet access here)
8 (a variation, didn't send any snail mail for ages)
14 (now only those with an '@' in their name are my friends)
16 (I think there is some problem, hey! look harder!!)
18 (I am avoiding shifting to new house unless Broadband is available there)

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
English to Turkish
+ ...
No! Not me! Nov 20, 2004

I have a Cable modem 7/24 online
I have an additional dial-up account so that should my cable fails, I can use it.
And, I have yet another dial-up account so that should both of the above fail, I can use this third one.
All from different service providers.

Who would dare to say that I am an addict?
No! Not at all:)

moya
moya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:11
French to English
+ ...
Mea culpa Nov 20, 2004

Thank God, I thought I was the only one...
Well, as long as you enjoy it... and don't forget about the kids, husband, wife...
My surname now is the hermit, shopping and all is done on the internet.
Has anyone found a cure yet???
;o)
moya

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Me Nov 20, 2004

Caught myself saying at the end of a message I was leaving on an acquaintance's phone answering machine:

"Best regards,
Vesna"

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:11
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
And a bluetooth connection, just in case Nov 20, 2004

Quote from above: "I have a Cable modem 7/24 online
I have an additional dial-up account so that should my cable fails, I can use it.
And, I have yet another dial-up account so that should both of the above fail, I can use this third one.
All from different service providers."

I have all those, too, plus a network of computers should one go down, plus a Bluetooth connection on my mobile which allows me to go online with my laptop. My children can probably recall se
... See more
Quote from above: "I have a Cable modem 7/24 online
All from different service providers."

I have all those, too, plus a network of computers should one go down, plus a Bluetooth connection on my mobile which allows me to go online with my laptop. My children can probably recall several occasions when they had to wait patiently in car parks while I tried for ages to go online via my Bluetooth connection in the time it would have taken me to drive home and check my email there. The frequency I check my email with reminds me of a children's game (zakdoek leggen)I used to play where you had to keep looking behind you to see if a child had dropped a handkerchief behind you because if you didn't run off with it in time, you were caught and out of the game.

[Edited at 2004-11-20 12:45]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
You are my clone! Nov 20, 2004

Omigod, this describes me exactly! Lucky thing we have some free dial-up serivices here in Brazil, so I can have several backups for my broad band!)

Amy

Selçuk Budak wrote:

I have a Cable modem 7/24 online
All from different service providers.

Who would dare to say that I am an addict?
No! Not at all:)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For fun: Do You Know An Email Addict?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »