Mobile menu

Off topic: Lisbon, Portugal -- accommodation and other suggestions for New Years
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:07
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2004

Dear Colleagues,

December is just one step away – the time when my husband and I plan our trips for New Years. This time we thought of Portugal, Lisbon. We'd probably go around Dec. 27 and stay for a week or so (flying from Zagreb, Croatia).

Anyone out there who could recommend *anything* of the following in Lisbon:
a) Cute hotels/accommodation, with cute prices if possible
b) Places to see
c) Taxi or local busses?
d) Anything that comes to your mind
e) Anyone special to greet there?

Hoping for suggestions & advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Non-native advice Nov 30, 2004

Hi Seadeta,

I hope some people more knowledgeable than I will chip in, but since we usually go to Lisbon once a year in early September, perhaps I can get the ball rolling.

First of all, here's a site with lots of informal tips in English as a substitute for other replies.

We nearly always stay at the Ibis Hotel that is right off the Avenida da Liberdade (link below). Ibis is not for everyone, but we spend little or no time in the hotel except for a couple of beers in the evening. It is not cute, but central, plain vanilla, and clean. In September we paid EUR 64/night. The beds are hard or firm, depending on your point of view. Other people might call the hotel sterile, but we always get into conversations with the receptionists and other guests.

Our friends who joined us last September liked the breakfast, which we never take (it's a buffet, which offers too much for us and costs EUR 15, I think) - we always go down the street to the cafe next to the newspaper kiosk. A few steps on is the Avenida, which is my favorite part of Lisbon. It is lined on both sides by plane trees (probably with brown leaves or bare in the winter, unfortunately) and paved with small white square stones, interspersed with black medallion mosaics. The white stones (limestone) have a magical sheen. To me it is like walking on mother-of-pearl. The walk down to the Praco do Comercio and Tejo River is fantastic, especially at twilight.

Most of our activities are outdoors, so will probably be far less appealing in the winter unless it is mild: a day riding around in the old trolley cars and walking around in Alfama, the castle, the Fado Museum, the Jardim da Estrela (which has a tiny lending-library kiosk so you can read in the park even if you forgot to bring a book or a newspaper), and the old and beautifully tiled micro-brewery Cervejaria da Trindade in Bairro Alto. We also spend a day at the beach at Caparica, but that's not an option in the winter. The aquarium built for the Expo is fascinating, if you like that sort of thing (the otters are fantastic), and we usually go to the zoo (expensive) to see the elephants and the botanical garden (Estufa fria).

There are also a lot of museums, and on some future trip I will go to the Gulbenkian collection, which one of our friends with us last September raved about, and the museum of modern design.

I'd recommend restaurants, but I can only describe how to find them, not the street names, and at least half the pleasure of Lisbon from my point of view is walking around and discovering places (at least in good weather).

Watch out for pickpockets and dark alleys as you would as a tourist anywhere, and take comfortable shoes because the city is hilly and walking on the limestone pavement can be tiring.

Have a nice trip and a happy New Year.

[Edited at 2004-11-30 20:01]

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
English to Croatian
+ ...
Thank you, Terry! Dec 2, 2004

This was really a tour around Lisbon If we do go there, I'll let you know my impressions.

Thank you!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lisbon, Portugal -- accommodation and other suggestions for New Years

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs