Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What do you absolutely hate to translate !
Thread poster: Ruchira Shukla
Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 12:56
French to Dutch
+ ...
Excel files for a website Dec 7, 2004

Home, Legal information, Help, Next page, small paragraphs, etc. All those bits and pieces that have to be copied and pasted (without errors) by another person in a website. The content is not very annoying but the form, the Excel sheet, because you don't see where those words will be used and because there are better methods of doing this (giving a key or a password to the translator, for instance). And menus of course, which are very time-consuming, so it's no longer pleasant to do. And I real... See more
Home, Legal information, Help, Next page, small paragraphs, etc. All those bits and pieces that have to be copied and pasted (without errors) by another person in a website. The content is not very annoying but the form, the Excel sheet, because you don't see where those words will be used and because there are better methods of doing this (giving a key or a password to the translator, for instance). And menus of course, which are very time-consuming, so it's no longer pleasant to do. And I really don't like legal documents where each word has to be in the right place.Collapse

Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 11:56
Russian to English
+ ...
Russian abbreviations! Dec 7, 2004

My life's plagued with Russian abbreviations and acronyms - often used for no good reason, invented for personal use or bearing little resemblence to the title in full. The worst have to be from government texts with the job title, section, department, ministry and ubiquitous 'RF' all turned into a stream of capitals.

For anyone else with this problem, the following link is rather
... See more
My life's plagued with Russian abbreviations and acronyms - often used for no good reason, invented for personal use or bearing little resemblence to the title in full. The worst have to be from government texts with the job title, section, department, ministry and ubiquitous 'RF' all turned into a stream of capitals.

For anyone else with this problem, the following link is rather good:

www.sokr.ru

Elizabeth Sumner
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
German to English
+ ...
Anything with embedded Excel or pesky text boxes Dec 7, 2004

I can't stand Excel tables embedded into Word or PowerPoint. Also those pesky text boxes where somehow each word or phrase ends up in its own text box - awful because you can't format the length easily and it always looks terrible in the end.

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Original texts which never underwent any editing Dec 7, 2004

I often feel I am the first (and only?) person to read the original document. Why does the technical writer use 3 different terms for the same item? Why do the same codes appear once with a slash and once without it? Does anybody care about the quality of the original?
Laura

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:56
English to German
+ ...
shoddily written contracts Dec 7, 2004

Does anybody care about the quality of the original?

I must admit I get a kick out of translating contracts - what with those neatly divided sections, numbering for good order, and above all, [mostly;)] a certain logic and purpose behind the clauses.... BUT a contract with sloppy writing, erratic punctuation, and riddled with poor grammar can turn into an absolute nightmare!!!
cheers, j.
(just recovering from one of the above)

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
Letters from/to people in prison to/from their loved ones Dec 7, 2004

I've had to do that as part of my court work.
Not on the whole because of the actual content, which if it's chatty can make a nice change from the more technical stuff I do (and improves my slang vocabulary no end)... more the actual thing of being an intruder in a private letter, and knowing that all their mail was being held up for translation then submission to the judge...

I also didn't enjoy a witness statement I once had to do in a child sex abuse case. But luckily that
... See more
I've had to do that as part of my court work.
Not on the whole because of the actual content, which if it's chatty can make a nice change from the more technical stuff I do (and improves my slang vocabulary no end)... more the actual thing of being an intruder in a private letter, and knowing that all their mail was being held up for translation then submission to the judge...

I also didn't enjoy a witness statement I once had to do in a child sex abuse case. But luckily that has only happened once.
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Japanese, English, Spanish... and then : French Dec 8, 2004

Well ! My personal nightmare is to translate a text which has been already translated several times. For instance : from Japanese to English, then from English to Spanish and, finally, from Spanish to French (this latter case have been my job, several times, lately).

In case of problems, and you always meet some, it is very difficult to make understand/explain to your customer/agency that you need the “first” English translation from Japanese to get through…

I do
... See more
Well ! My personal nightmare is to translate a text which has been already translated several times. For instance : from Japanese to English, then from English to Spanish and, finally, from Spanish to French (this latter case have been my job, several times, lately).

In case of problems, and you always meet some, it is very difficult to make understand/explain to your customer/agency that you need the “first” English translation from Japanese to get through…

I do not speak Japanese but have a strong experience of English texts translated in English from Japanese by a non native translator (and many times, translated by some clerk of the Japanese CY).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you absolutely hate to translate !

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »