Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What do you absolutely hate to translate !
Thread poster: Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 11:09
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 7, 2004

There was a question in one of the forums recently .. Something on the lines of what our dream translations would be.
I have a slightly different question here .. What don�ft you like to translate?
As for me I hate translating Japanese patents into English! I find them too boring and feel that I am not really using my literary skills there.
I love doing literary translations. but alas they are rare to come by in India !!

Cheers
Ruchira

Katerina Fetsi
Katerina Fetsi
Sweden
Local time: 07:39
English to Greek
+ ...
patents ! Dec 7, 2004

ooh i pretty much dislike the patent thing myself-im always getting those from my company, in german as well.so many details...

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:39
English to German
+ ...
Enterprise consulting texts Dec 7, 2004

Sometimes you get a good one, but mostly they are just a bundle of stupid lies and dreamdancing.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
horses for courses Dec 7, 2004

Harry_B wrote:

Sometimes you get a good one, but mostly they are just a bundle of stupid lies and dreamdancing.

I don't mind them - it's icky medical stuff I would never translate. (at least not without a barf bucket beside my desk!)

James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
In a word ... Dec 7, 2004

... menus. They're so fiddly and time-consuming.

Also extremely long sentences with countless clauses, whatever the subject area (unfortunately quite common in Spanish).

I don't mind patents at all, though.

[Edited at 2004-12-07 12:29]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Handwritten documents Dec 7, 2004

I absolutely hate translating (well, first deciphering then translating) handwritten documents, no matter what area they are from.

They are not only time-consuming because handwriting is so difficult to read but writers usually make up abbreviations that can mean anything.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
anything that's poorly written Dec 7, 2004

...which unfortunately means a great many of my source documents. There's nothing worse than a text full of pretentious gobbledygook intelligible only to its author.

[Edited at 2004-12-07 11:54]

Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 11:09
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Illegible characters - Is there anything worse !! Dec 7, 2004

Cindy Chadd wrote:

...which unfortunately means a great many of my source documents. There's nothing worse than a text full of pretentious gobbledygook intelligible only to its author.

[Edited at 2004-12-07 11:54]

Perhaps that�fs why hate doing patents !!
We hardly get the original here .. just a very badly scanned gif or pdf .. with half the Japanese characters illegible !!
I still remember spending over an hour trying to figure out an almost illegible Japanese characters! I think that was the last time I did a patent!!

Ruchira

LindaMcM
LindaMcM  Identity Verified
Swedish to German
+ ...
Software strings Dec 7, 2004

Huge plain text documents with strange abbreviations between strange numbers and symbols and strange restrictions of charachters per line...

It's nearly impossible to keep track of it and after two hours I feel like knocked out.

Linda

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yeah, software strings Dec 7, 2004

I never think I got it right and I feel so annoyed, there's no possibility to just relax and let the text flow, but like I'm constantly jumping from one thing to another... ahhhh, exhausting!! But someone has to do that, too...

Thanks for reminding me why I should be happy today-- no software strings to translate!

Seadeta

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
handwritten medical notes Dec 7, 2004

as Sonja says, handwritten texts are usually illegible and full of meaningless abbreviations. Italian doctors are particularly guilty here... fortunately I don't get too many of them.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Menus! Dec 7, 2004

James Calder wrote:

... menus. They're so fiddly and time-consuming.

Also extremely long sentences with countless clauses, whatever the subject area (unfortunately quite common in Spanish).

I don't mind patents at all, though.

[Edited at 2004-12-07 12:29]

I'm with James on the menus! I don't know about Spanish, but it's nigh on impossible to get German menus to sound appetising in English.

The worst text I ever had was an arty text with over a hundred words per sentence and which not even native speakers understood. So, arty-farty texts which spend pages saying nothing.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
German to English
Text by non-native speakers Dec 7, 2004

I just finished a job which had several procedures written by someone who wasn't a native speaker of the source language. This individual confused terms, spelled words the way he/she heard them, used shop slang, non-native syntax, etc.

A few years ago I had a massive job that was written by people of several different language backgrounds. It was interesting to guess the native tongue of the authors of the various sections by the syntax. That was the only fun, since the job was hell
... See more
I just finished a job which had several procedures written by someone who wasn't a native speaker of the source language. This individual confused terms, spelled words the way he/she heard them, used shop slang, non-native syntax, etc.

A few years ago I had a massive job that was written by people of several different language backgrounds. It was interesting to guess the native tongue of the authors of the various sections by the syntax. That was the only fun, since the job was hell to translate, due to the non-native flow of language. It took a couple of pages in each section for me to catch on to the unusual style.

In the same vein, I hate translating documents from one of the large automakers. The company apparently doesn't supply its tech writers with spellchecking software. Before I can use CAT tools, I have to correct the spelling of the documents. On a large doc, this can take a lot of time.
Kevin
Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:39
English to Spanish
Parts listings Dec 7, 2004

I feel faint at the sight of what always seem to be 1,000 pages of tables with nothing but names and sizes of screws, washers, bushings, flanges, etc, each with their own meaningless code (which you also have to type in if you are working with hard copy) and with lots of meaningless acroynms and abbreviations (lack of space, see) understood only by the author... give me software strings, despite the lack of context, hot-air docs written in corporatese or birth certificates filled with hieroglyph... See more
I feel faint at the sight of what always seem to be 1,000 pages of tables with nothing but names and sizes of screws, washers, bushings, flanges, etc, each with their own meaningless code (which you also have to type in if you are working with hard copy) and with lots of meaningless acroynms and abbreviations (lack of space, see) understood only by the author... give me software strings, despite the lack of context, hot-air docs written in corporatese or birth certificates filled with hieroglyphs any day.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you absolutely hate to translate !

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »