Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I wouldn't trust them before moving Dec 12, 2004

Sorry, Rita, and sorry for them too, but I know the Dominican Republic, and I believe that Santo Domingo is one of the three cheapest towns only if you don't have to rent an appartment and if you eat bananas and rice.

It's an island, everything is imported, and for this reason many products are more expensive than where they are produced or sold in big quantities.
Electricity is more expensive than elsewhere too.

One country is a single element to make a judgement but definitely, I'd need to see by myself before believing such numbers.

Claudia

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 01:25
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction- 144 cities Dec 12, 2004

Cost of living is a very subjective thing, in my opinion.

I posted it because I thought it might be interesting to read.

If it's going to be the cause of violent disagreement, perhaps I should erase it.

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Sorry, I didn't mean it violent :-) Dec 12, 2004

Sorry if it sounded violent, Rita, I didn't mean it, it's true that it can be useful to give an idea, but it's good to know that it can't be believed blindly.

I've often seen such ratings (is this the right word here?), and it's always the same problem. They take some items and forget many that can be very important, I just wanted to show my disagreement with them, not with you.

Claudia

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting, but I don't trust such studies... Dec 12, 2004

In my opinion cost of living should be based on wages...

McDonalds (yes the hamburguers) publishes a list stating how much time should one person (making minimum wages) work to earn enough money to buy a BigMac.

I do not remember it 100% percent, but give me some space for error please: In the United States one should work about 15 minutes to buy a BigMac, while in Mexico, for instance, one should work someting like seven hours.

That said, paying rent of 1000 dollars is not the same if you work in London, or if you live in Mexico City...

Just my thoughts...

Best season greetings!

Rufino

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
Partial member
German to English
+ ...
Next time somebody thinks I'm too expensive ... Dec 12, 2004

... I'll send them this list.

-Norbert, living large in the world's 35th most expensive city

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:25
Dublin - #14 Dec 12, 2004

Oh my goodness - I did not think we would be up as high in the list, I would have thought Dublin would perhaps make the top 30 or sthg.
oh well, it is all fuel for the Rip Off Ireland campaign!! (FYI:http://www.ripoffireland.org)

Orla

RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
link for more information Dec 12, 2004

thanks for the info Rufino!

here is the link

http://www.economist.com/markets/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2054313

Working time needed to buy a Big Mac

http://www.econotarian.org/1063507704/index_html

It ranges from a high of over three hours in Kenya, to a low of 10 minutes in the US.

Happy Holidays to you too

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quite unaccurate Dec 13, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Sorry, Rita, and sorry for them too, but I know the Dominican Republic, and I believe that Santo Domingo is one of the three cheapest towns only if you don't have to rent an appartment and if you eat bananas and rice.

It's an island, everything is imported, and for this reason many products are more expensive than where they are produced or sold in big quantities.

One country is a single element to make a judgement but definitely, I'd need to see by myself before believing such numbers.

Claudia

Neither is Prague more expensive than Madrid or Barcelona... NO WAY. And I truly see no violent disagreement in Claudia's posting.

Cheers,
Atenea

Johann Kristjansson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 08:25
English to Icelandic
Strange! Dec 13, 2004

Hello all.

I must say I am very surprised that Reykjavík, Iceland is not on this list; I would have put it in one of the top 20.

Because of this I tend to agree with Claudia that maybe this list is not to be taken seriously.

Best,
Jóhann R. Kristjánsson
Reykjavík
Iceland

Rita Heller wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/11/pf/costofliving/

interesting for translators!

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Ottawa is cheaper than Santiago! Dec 13, 2004

It's a pity that their winter is longer than ours, otherwise I'd move

Claudia

writeaway  Identity Verified

Local time: 09:25
Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Not cheap Claudia Dec 13, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Claudia

Hi Claudia
You have to put it into perspective-it's one of the least expensive of the 144 most expensive cities in the world.... that certainly does not mean it's inexpensive .

[Edited at 2004-12-13 01:08]

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes, of course Dec 13, 2004

writeaway wrote:
Hi Claudia
You have to put it into perspective-it's one of the least expensive of the 144 most expensive cities in the world.... that certainly does not mean it's inexpensive .

Yes, you're right, but in my mind I was comparing the cost of life in Santo Domingo to the cost of life of the other towns I know which are in that list. But I hadn't read all the names, and the discovery of Ottawa behind Santiago de Chile really makes me wonder why Chilean translation rates are not like Canadian rates

[Edited at 2004-12-13 01:26]

RHELLER
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't shoot the messenger :-) Dec 13, 2004

http://www.finfacts.ie/qualityoflife.htm

Here's another ranking with a more sophisticated approach. It ranks "overall quality of life".

As I said before, these studies are subjective. As we all know, it totally depends on which items they chose to include in the study. This new link goes into more detail on that.

This company gets paid by Human Resource Departments which use the information as a basis for calculating expatriate salaries.

P.S. Sorry, Claudia - I shouldn't have used the word violent. It was kind of "tongue in cheek".

[Edited at 2004-12-13 01:23]

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Quality of life, yes! Dec 13, 2004

Yes, I find the "quality of life" study much more interesting than the previous one (it's a pity, because the "cost of life" study should be interesting too, but it doesn't seem accurate).

I don't know whether these studies are so subjective, at least those who make them think that they are not. The choice of items is done after lots of inquiries. I suppose that quality is harder to measure than life, that's a fact.

As this company uses it to for calculating expatriate salaries, it might lead to unfair situations, and I know it does, because my husband has already been expatriate for the French Government and the same happens in France.

We were just discussing about quality of life now, after laughing at the results of the first study, because when you live in a town where electricity and water are not available at any time, you can't only compare the price of a coffee or an appartment to have an idea about how it can be living there.

Just thoughts, Rita

Claudia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Top 100 - The most expensive cities in the world

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs