adanm
adanm  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 30, 2014

Hello everyone,

I am a new translator and I am having difficulty navigating this new career without being overwhelmed. If anyone is interested in taking me under their wing, I would be eternally grateful. My language pair is EN>SP. Thank you so much!

P.S. I did try to contact a couple of people in the mentoring program but I did not get any responses.

-Ada

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Oct 30, 2014

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I'd be happy to help.

adanm
adanm  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias! Oct 30, 2014

Le envie un email!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Only people with the Proz P are allowed to mentor Oct 30, 2014

According to the powers that be, none of the rest of us are considered good enough. At least that's the message I receive if I click on a request for a mentor: You are not eligible to respond to a mentoring offer.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll find someone in your pair who will help you get started.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 03:16
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Those with P are too busy to mentor Oct 30, 2014

I hope you have more luck than I had. So that is the reason, Writeaway, and only those that have the P are allowed to mentor and those are too busy-I don't blame them-to mentor. About time this is changed, at least they could change it to something like 'those that have xxxx KudoZ points.

[Edited at 2014-10-31 07:52 GMT]

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:16
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Ask Specific Questions Oct 31, 2014

If you ask specific questions here, I am sure most of us would be happy to reply. I had done some mentoring for teenagers a while ago but the skills I have used were probably different than skills that would be necessary here. Anyhow, I would be happy to help if you ask some questions. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mentoring Help

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »