Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Quake and Tsunami make this a sad Sunday...
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Second aid possibility for Spain opens Dec 28, 2004

Acción contra el Hambre: http://www.accioncontraelhambre.org/ach.php?url=donativo

Tel. 902 10 08 82

This organization works directly in Sri Lanka.

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Relief Links Dec 28, 2004

United Methodist Committee on Relief

Adventist Development and Relief Agency International

Caritas FranceUnited Methodist Committee on Relief

Adventist Development and Relief Agency International

Caritas France

Church World Service

Medair
Robert Schofield
Emergency Desk Officer
Tel: +41 (0)21 694 3535
[email protected]

Keep informed on Reuters Foundation Alertnet
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How sad. I hope action prevents worser things. Dec 29, 2004

Parrot wrote:

Some countries may have local accounts opened specifically for this purpose. This will be very useful in avoiding bank charges on any aid donations.

For Spain: 902 22 22 92, or www.cruzroja.es

[Edited at 2004-12-27 22:06]

For The Netherlands the ever lasting Giro number (555) of the cooperating relief agencies is dedicated to the current disaster:
http://www.giro555.nl/index.asp

Bishop Muskens suggested people should the money they 'normally' spend on fireworks dedicate now to the relief agencies.

Good idea, actually.

[Edited at 2004-12-29 09:53]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes! Dec 29, 2004

Henk Peelen wrote:

Bishop Muskens suggested people should the money they 'normally' spend on fireworks dedicate now to the relief agencies.

Good idea, actually.

Yes, GREAT idea! Considering the fortune people are paying for a few seconds of enjoyment... (I NEVER buy fireworks, that is!)

I have personally made a donation via the Giro 555 website, and via the Red Cross/Red Crescent website.

I wish I could do more...

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Proposal: Proz.com Tsunami Pledge Fund Dec 29, 2004

I am prepared to donate anyway to tsunami-hit areas. If there existed a "Proz.com Tsunami Pledge Fund", I would be channeling this donation through this.
Perhaps there are several people at Proz.com who are willing to donate: we could as well pool our efforts, collect some funds and use this effort as a PR opportunity for our online community.
Proz.com could initially pledge, say, 10000 dollars. I think this amount could be easily collected from members willing to donate.
A sp
... See more
I am prepared to donate anyway to tsunami-hit areas. If there existed a "Proz.com Tsunami Pledge Fund", I would be channeling this donation through this.
Perhaps there are several people at Proz.com who are willing to donate: we could as well pool our efforts, collect some funds and use this effort as a PR opportunity for our online community.
Proz.com could initially pledge, say, 10000 dollars. I think this amount could be easily collected from members willing to donate.
A special account could be set up for this reason. When the amount has been collected, Proz.com could transfer this (or any) amount to relevant relief organizations or directly to affected communities in tsunami-hit areas.

In my personal opinion, about 40 to 50% should go to Sri Lanka and 50 to 60% to Sumatra.

Thailand receives by far the broadest media coverage, because of the large number of foreign tourists there. But in fact, of all tsunami vistims, only about every 30th perished in and around Phuket. Thailand will recover relatively easily, given its massive foreign tourism. India is much worse affected, especially the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands. Hopefully, with the backing of India's huge economy and its large overseas Indian community, India would receive relatively large amount of aid. Sri Lanka is severaly hit by the distaster, with at least one in every thousand of the island's population perished in the waves. If counted on coastal areas alone, the percentage is much higher. News arrive scarcely from Northern Sumatra, ut probably this is the worst hit region.
Collapse

inkamaria (X)
inkamaria (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
A Sad Sunday indeed! Dec 29, 2004

I have just heard that my friends in Khao Lak survived the wave! For more information and options to help in some way or another check out: www.tsunamihelp.blogspot.com

Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
My condolences Dec 29, 2004

It is really the worst disaster. News about 100.000 dead people today left me in a shock.It is like a biblical disaster!
A friend of mine could at last receive an e-mail notice from his girlfriend who lived in Phuket that she is alive in Bangkok.
Most couldn´t flee. Very sorry.
My condolences to everyone affected.

Regards willdlp

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks to everyone who has posted donation links Dec 30, 2004

Just to inform you that Italian relief organizations have been published in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/topic/27951

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ham radio help & Pictures Dec 30, 2004

Amateur-Ham radio clubs in your areas are a good source to find out what the immediate needs are in given places or to find out about those we know are missing. The information is getting relayed very fast.

http://www.iaru.org/iaru-soc.html (country list)

http://www.iaru.org/

... See more
Amateur-Ham radio clubs in your areas are a good source to find out what the immediate needs are in given places or to find out about those we know are missing. The information is getting relayed very fast.

http://www.iaru.org/iaru-soc.html (country list)

http://www.iaru.org/

Just one of many sat. pictures to give you an idea of a Sri Lanka's beach and how it was hit.

The sea created a new +300 metre beach after it went inland for over one kilometre and then moved back...

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/tsunami/Sri_Lanka_Tsunami_Damage.pdf

José Luis
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Account in Thailand... ( I used bold letters) Dec 30, 2004

To: IARU Region 3
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:27 PM
Subject: From RSSL - Tsunami Disaster Relief Net

Hi,

This is to inform you that The Radio Society of Sri Lanka (RSSL) has deployed it's members to operate a disaster relief communications network as normal communications links have been cut off due to the disaster caused by tidal waves.
Our network operates on VHF through a local repeater and on
... See more
To: IARU Region 3
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:27 PM
Subject: From RSSL - Tsunami Disaster Relief Net

Hi,

This is to inform you that The Radio Society of Sri Lanka (RSSL) has deployed it's members to operate a disaster relief communications network as normal communications links have been cut off due to the disaster caused by tidal waves.
Our network operates on VHF through a local repeater and on HF on 7.060 MHz (mostly during daytime on HF).

73!

Kusal Epa - 4S7KE
Secretary - RSSL

To: IARU Region 3 Member Societies
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 12:37 AM
Subject: Radio Amateur Society of Thailand seeks your help

Dear OM,

On behalf of the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand I would like to seek your society's assistance in helping devastated Thai coastal communities, if you or your members are able to do this.

You have probably heard that the western coast of southern Thailand was devastated by a tsunami (tidal wave) on the morning of Sunday, December 26, 2004.

As rescue efforts continue (at the time of writing on the evening of Tuesday, Dec 28), the death toll exceeds 1,000 and is likely to rise to over 2,000 as more bodies are being recovered from remote areas and islands. In addition, over 7,500 Thais and foreign tourists are now receiving medical attention.

The Thai government has appealed for donations to assist people in the devastated areas while RAST understands that as far as Thailand's communications needs are concerned, the situation is now under control. Thai hams are helping to relay information between the affected areas along the west coast in the South to government agencies, mostly on VHF and 40 metres, as well as disseminating news and information over VHF frequencies in Bangkok.

Echolink, too, has played a role in enabling radio amateurs here to relay information to concerned friends and relatives of those holidaying in the affected areas.

In assessing what our society might be able to do in the wake of this disaster and in how best to respond to generous offers of assistance and support made by ham friends around the world we believe that what is now needed the most is help for the many thousands of people made homeless by the tsunami.

RAST would like to announce that we are now accepting donations and that we will pass on all financial support received to the Thai Government which has opened a channel for this.

We will be giving full credit to all contributions from the international amateur radio community as well as to individual donors and donor organisations that help us in this time of dire need and we hope that this publicity will help by promoting awareness both at home and abroad of the resources and goodwill that our hobby can mobilise.

The best way for anyone to transfer funds to RAST for this purpose would be by wire transfer to a RAST bank account at the
Siam City Bank:
Ratchawat Branch No 111
SWIFT Code: SITYTHBK
Account Type: Savings
Account Number: 111-2-22688-4
Account Name: RAST
(Full name: Radio Amateur Society of Thailand)

We also ask that all donors send details of their support to [email protected] by email or, alternatively, by Fax to +662-321-6443 for our records and also that we can acknowledge the donation or pledge and so that we can give full credit and recognition to their generosity in our time of need.

Please help Thailand to help the victims of this natural disaster in any that way you can. We encourage you to pass this appeal along to any others who you feel may be able to help.

Thank you,
73 and 88
Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL, President
Radio Amateur Society of Thailand
under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King

(Message sent by Tony Waltham, HS0ZDX, RAST Vice President and
International Liaison Officer)
Tony Waltham
Collapse

Meihua (May) Shi
Meihua (May) Shi
Local time: 13:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, let's do something Jan 3, 2005

Hi All,

It is great that we have this forum to express our condolence and ideas to help. Thanks a lot for the info about how to help. I guess for me who is so far from the hard-hit areas, the best I can do is donation. Since I heard the most needed is money and red cross is international, I'm going to make mine through its website.

Well, still can't help feeling very sad. Let's do our best.

Regards,

Mei

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quake and Tsunami make this a sad Sunday...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »