Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Quake and Tsunami make this a sad Sunday...
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 05:45
English to Croatian
+ ...
Dec 26, 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones on this horrible quake/tsunami Sunday in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Maldives...

I sincerely hope that all of our colleagues are safe. It would help if you, guys, would let us know that you're OK.

Love from Croatia to your countries!

Seadeta

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:45
Spanish
+ ...
Donations Dec 26, 2004

It's really horrible what happened.

The Red Cross has made an international plea for donations. If you want to help, go online to the web site:

International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies http://www.ifrc.org/

... See more
It's really horrible what happened.

The Red Cross has made an international plea for donations. If you want to help, go online to the web site:

International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies http://www.ifrc.org/

The direct link to the donations is http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/ You can use a credit card or bank transfer.
Collapse

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:45
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
a sad Sunday indeed Dec 26, 2004

I offer my condolences to all those who lost their loved ones and who were affected in this disaster.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Caliaa Dec 26, 2004

Caliaa wrote:

The direct link to the donations is http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/ You can use a credit card or bank transfer.

Some countries may have local accounts opened specifically for this purpose. This will be very useful in avoiding bank charges on any aid donations.

For Spain: 902 22 22 92, or www.cruzroja.es

[Edited at 2004-12-27 22:06]

Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 10:15
English to Japanese
+ ...
Sad end to the year ! Dec 27, 2004

For me it was a very sad Christmas weekend.. On Friday night we lost a very dear neighbor (a young boy of mere 23 yrs) to a freak motorbike accident.
And on Sunday the tsunami wrecked most of south India. Thank fully all my friends are safe but my heart goes out to the ones affected by this disaster.
As for donations, the government of India has a Prime Minister�fs relief fund where any one can donate money for the disaster victims. Also a lot of private companies (including mine)
... See more
For me it was a very sad Christmas weekend.. On Friday night we lost a very dear neighbor (a young boy of mere 23 yrs) to a freak motorbike accident.
And on Sunday the tsunami wrecked most of south India. Thank fully all my friends are safe but my heart goes out to the ones affected by this disaster.
As for donations, the government of India has a Prime Minister�fs relief fund where any one can donate money for the disaster victims. Also a lot of private companies (including mine) are collecting money to pass it on voluntary organizations helping the victims or to donate to the Prime Minister�fs relief fund. Its the least we can do.

Hope the New Year brings in peace and there are better times ahead for all of us.
Collapse

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
My condoleances too... Dec 27, 2004

I also wish to express my condoleances for the victims in the Indian Ocean.An Indian colleague mentioned in another thread here, about 3000 victims. Meanwhile, they are about 15.000.I am so sorry.
It is incredible what is happening. Does anyone know which value is the maximum on Richter for earthquakes? I knew it by 8 or 9, but it seems to be more.
I hope people everywhere realise know what life really means and what we have to do.Also the ones preaching wars in the name of religion.
... See more
I also wish to express my condoleances for the victims in the Indian Ocean.An Indian colleague mentioned in another thread here, about 3000 victims. Meanwhile, they are about 15.000.I am so sorry.
It is incredible what is happening. Does anyone know which value is the maximum on Richter for earthquakes? I knew it by 8 or 9, but it seems to be more.
I hope people everywhere realise know what life really means and what we have to do.Also the ones preaching wars in the name of religion.
It is moment we have to meditate and change ourselves.

Hoping that nothing worse will come anymore in that region,

Ruxi
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 06:45
French to English
+ ...
Deepest condolances... Dec 27, 2004

Our thoughts and prayers are with all the victims around the Indian Ocean. It's really hard to come to terms with the scale of the disaster. Of course we were powerless to stop the earthquake happening, but by providing donations, we can do our little bit to help people rebuild their homes.

It would be good to hear from any of our colleagues. There's an Indian guy who's regularly on these forums (I can't remember his name). Does anyone have any news from him?

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
English to French
Sh*t happens... Dec 27, 2004

Well, if that's a wake up call, then be it, but I would suggest it's time to cheer up and do something about it. Contemplating how bad it all is is not likely to help.

And before you call me a heartless bastard, I will mention that I am in Thailand, and although not directly in the area, I have friends whose status is not yet confirmed.

I am going down there to help out the victims as much as I can. I encourrage all those who can do something to DO something.
... See more
Well, if that's a wake up call, then be it, but I would suggest it's time to cheer up and do something about it. Contemplating how bad it all is is not likely to help.

And before you call me a heartless bastard, I will mention that I am in Thailand, and although not directly in the area, I have friends whose status is not yet confirmed.

I am going down there to help out the victims as much as I can. I encourrage all those who can do something to DO something.

Don't be sad about it, because that doesn't help. Cheer up and find out how you can help. A donation to the red cross is good, but for those who are not too far away, going to see the victims and find out how you can help them will make a big ifference. Sadness won't.

Lord knows there is enough sadness around, but not nearly enough help. Don't cry. Just help.
Collapse

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Narasimhan? Dec 27, 2004

Timothy Barton wrote:

There's an Indian guy who's regularly on these forums (I can't remember his name). Does anyone have any news from him?

I certainly hope he's well. He lives in Chennai (the Madras of old), capital of Tamil Nadu, one of the hardest-hit provinces.

Some kilometres down the coast is the town of Mahaballipuram, home to a set of some lovely 6th-century Indian temples on the beach that have been declared UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Next to the tragic toll on the population, this just may be another heavy loss for all of us.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Narasimhan is fine Dec 27, 2004

I had news from him, I'm going to ask him to drop a word here.

Claudia

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I am overwhelmed Dec 27, 2004

Thank you Timothy Barton, Parrot and Claudia. It is really heartening to be a recipient of so many good wishes. Just a few hours back Claudia sent me an email making worried enquiries. I replied to her promptly and she has received it as can be seen from her posting.

I am quite fine. I have been combatting (combat is the word) a big translation assignment with ambitious deadlines. It is still very much there. I was blissfully unaware of all these things, when my wife who had gone to
... See more
Thank you Timothy Barton, Parrot and Claudia. It is really heartening to be a recipient of so many good wishes. Just a few hours back Claudia sent me an email making worried enquiries. I replied to her promptly and she has received it as can be seen from her posting.

I am quite fine. I have been combatting (combat is the word) a big translation assignment with ambitious deadlines. It is still very much there. I was blissfully unaware of all these things, when my wife who had gone to her sister's place phoned me about the sea rushing on to the sands of the lovely Marina beach, reputed to be one of the longest beaches in the world. The road is separated from the Bay of Bengal by nearly 1 kilometer of sand and this acted as a buffer, saving Triplicane.

My house is some 15 km inland. I did not even feel the tremor. Now as I am watching the scenes unfolding in the TV screens, I am suffering from shock brought about by delayed reaction.

In fact I was born and brought up in Triplicane, just on the land-side of the Marina beach. And I am dismayed by the destruction wrought by the Tsunamis to my beautiful place of birth.

Regards and heartfelt thanks to all of my Proz friends,

N.Raghavan
Collapse

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well... Dec 27, 2004

sylver wrote:

Don't be sad about it, because that doesn't help. Cheer up and find out how you can help. A donation to the red cross is good, but for those who are not too far away, going to see the victims and find out how you can help them will make a big ifference. Sadness won't.

We can love you for it (and we do).

I'm really glad to see you, Narasimhan. And I understand how you feel. I still remember Tamil Nadu.

The Shore Temple

The Penitence of Arjuna

The Pancharathas ("5 chariots")

These are all dreadfully close to the coastline. I hope nothing has happened to them.

[Edited at 2004-12-28 14:37]

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
Worst natural disaster in living memory. Dec 28, 2004

So glad to hear that you are fine Narasimhan. I only hope you haven't lost any friends or relatives. Although at such times Donne's "No Man is an Island" reminds us that we have all lost thousands from our greater extended family - mankind itself.

This must be the worst natural disaster in living memory, at least I cannot remember one as spectacular in my fifty years on Planet Earth. The suddenness of it and the cruel irony of it ocurring on a balmy, seemingly perfect day, in
... See more
So glad to hear that you are fine Narasimhan. I only hope you haven't lost any friends or relatives. Although at such times Donne's "No Man is an Island" reminds us that we have all lost thousands from our greater extended family - mankind itself.

This must be the worst natural disaster in living memory, at least I cannot remember one as spectacular in my fifty years on Planet Earth. The suddenness of it and the cruel irony of it ocurring on a balmy, seemingly perfect day, in most of the area, makes it particularly acute. I send my thoughts out to those affected and I will be donating something to the relief fund as soon as I learn a reliable local source.
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks Berni Dec 28, 2004

I do not cease to be amazed by the warm hearted feelings for the welfare of myself and my countrymen. It is really wonderful, the Internet.

"Man is no island". How true! Way back in 1954, there was sudden ingress of sea water in a portion of the Marina Beach.

But this time it was all along the 10 kilometers of the beach. It was around 8.30 AM Sunday and there were thousands of people thronging the beach. Without any warning Tsunami waves struck.

I was bl
... See more
I do not cease to be amazed by the warm hearted feelings for the welfare of myself and my countrymen. It is really wonderful, the Internet.

"Man is no island". How true! Way back in 1954, there was sudden ingress of sea water in a portion of the Marina Beach.

But this time it was all along the 10 kilometers of the beach. It was around 8.30 AM Sunday and there were thousands of people thronging the beach. Without any warning Tsunami waves struck.

I was blissfully unaware of all those happenings, as I was at home 10 kilometers from the sea shore, battling with a translation assignemnt with deadline "yesterday".

If you want to donate, just address the contributions to "The Prime Minister's Relief Fund", Office of the Honourable Prime Minister, New Delhi -110001, India".

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Berni Armstrong wrote:

This must be the worst natural disaster in living memory, at least I cannot remember one as spectacular in my fifty years on Planet Earth. The suddenness of it and the cruel irony of it ocurring on a balmy, seemingly perfect day, in most of the area, makes it particularly acute. I send my thoughts out to those affected and I will be donating something to the relief fund as soon as I learn a reliable local source.
Collapse

Elena Sgarbo (X)
Elena Sgarbo (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Glad to see you, Narasimhan Dec 28, 2004

Dear Narasimhan,

I'm also glad to learn that you're in a place untouched by the catastrophe. For you, however, seeing the surrounding tragedy and your hometown destroyed must be heart-wrenching.

Like most people, I'm also stunned by the magnitude of this disaster: it's nothing like I've ever seen or even read about in recent history. It makes one feel utterly impotent.

My congrats to Sylvan and all those who can go beyond monetary donations to help on site,
... See more
Dear Narasimhan,

I'm also glad to learn that you're in a place untouched by the catastrophe. For you, however, seeing the surrounding tragedy and your hometown destroyed must be heart-wrenching.

Like most people, I'm also stunned by the magnitude of this disaster: it's nothing like I've ever seen or even read about in recent history. It makes one feel utterly impotent.

My congrats to Sylvan and all those who can go beyond monetary donations to help on site, and my sincere hopes that the survivors can get ASAP all the help they need.

Elena

PS: Thanks Ceci for the beautiful pics. Asia is a land of wonders.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quake and Tsunami make this a sad Sunday...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »