Offering help for tsunami victims as ProZians
Thread poster: E.LA
E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
Dec 29, 2004

earthquake – help

I got sleepless with the problem of the earthquake and all the problems now in Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia. I was thinking: We – in Proz – are an international community with people from all over the world. And now there is a problem which effects people surely from a lot of countries all over the world. Perhaps we could help in one way or another – I do not know in which way. Perhaps somebody else has an idea HOW.

[Subject edited by sta
... See more
earthquake – help

I got sleepless with the problem of the earthquake and all the problems now in Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia. I was thinking: We – in Proz – are an international community with people from all over the world. And now there is a problem which effects people surely from a lot of countries all over the world. Perhaps we could help in one way or another – I do not know in which way. Perhaps somebody else has an idea HOW.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-29 15:08]
Collapse

Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 03:58
English to Japanese
+ ...
Already being discussed in other forums Dec 29, 2004

http://www.proz.com/topic/27886

http://www.proz.com/topic/27895

These two forums provide links where one can donate money.
Ruchira

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:28
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Aid fund Dec 29, 2004

Could we set up an aid fund of some sort?

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Proposal: Proz.com Tsunami Pledge Fund Dec 29, 2004

I am prepared to donate anyway to tsunami-hit areas. If there existed a "Proz.com Tsunami Pledge Fund", I would be channeling this donation through this.
Perhaps there are several people at Proz.com who are willing to donate: we could as well pool our efforts, collect some funds and use this effort as a PR opportunity for our online community.
Proz.com could initially pledge, say, 10000 dollars. I think this amount could be easily collected from members willing to donate.
A sp
... See more
I am prepared to donate anyway to tsunami-hit areas. If there existed a "Proz.com Tsunami Pledge Fund", I would be channeling this donation through this.
Perhaps there are several people at Proz.com who are willing to donate: we could as well pool our efforts, collect some funds and use this effort as a PR opportunity for our online community.
Proz.com could initially pledge, say, 10000 dollars. I think this amount could be easily collected from members willing to donate.
A special account could be set up for this reason. When the amount has been collected, Proz.com could transfer this (or any) amount to relevant relief organizations or directly to affected communities in tsunami-hit areas.

In my personal opinion, about 40 to 50% should go to Sri Lanka and 50 to 60% to Sumatra.

Thailand receives by far the broadest media coverage, because of the large number of foreign tourists there. But in fact, of all tsunami vistims, only about every 30th perished in and around Phuket. Thailand will recover relatively easily, given its massive foreign tourism. India is much worse affected, especially the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands. Hopefully, with the backing of India's huge economy and its large overseas Indian community, India would receive relatively large amount of aid. Sri Lanka is severaly hit by the distaster, with at least one in every thousand of the island's population perished in the waves. If counted on coastal areas alone, the percentage is much higher. News arrive scarcely from Northern Sumatra, ut probably this is the worst hit region.
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
List of NGO's Dec 29, 2004

Would it be a good idea to use this thread, or to open a thread, to list organisations that we can donate money to?

On one of the links Parrot provided, there is a list with NGO's that are working in the disaster area:

www.alertnet.org/thefacts/reliefresources/110409431212.htm

India:
Relief for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands... See more
Would it be a good idea to use this thread, or to open a thread, to list organisations that we can donate money to?

On one of the links Parrot provided, there is a list with NGO's that are working in the disaster area:

www.alertnet.org/thefacts/reliefresources/110409431212.htm

India:
Relief for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
www.seedsindia.org
http://www.seedsindia.org/tsunamiupdate.pdf

SEEDS' counterpart in the USA:
www.geohaz.org
USA
United methodist Committee on relief
http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/emergency/southasia.stm

Spain:
902 22 22 92, or www.cruzroja.es
Acción contra el Hambre: http://www.accioncontraelhambre.org/ach.php?url=donativo
Tel. 902 10 08 82
This organization works directly in Sri Lanka

The Netherlands:
http://www.giro555.nl/index.asp
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:28
SITE FOUNDER
How we can come together in support Dec 29, 2004

I agree we should come together as ProZians to help those affected by the Tsunami (and other natural disasters). Members have posted links to respected international aid organizations, and it is also good that some members have encouraged others to contribute to these.

(There is an exemption in the FAQ to the normal limited scope of ProZ.com for natural disasters. This is so that we may come together in support at times like thi
... See more
I agree we should come together as ProZians to help those affected by the Tsunami (and other natural disasters). Members have posted links to respected international aid organizations, and it is also good that some members have encouraged others to contribute to these.

(There is an exemption in the FAQ to the normal limited scope of ProZ.com for natural disasters. This is so that we may come together in support at times like this.)

The idea of having a ProZ.com fund is a good one, but for now, given the urgency of the need, I think it is best to let respected international aid/relief organizations handle collection and distribution of funds.

I have made my contribution via the Red Cross and encourage others to make contributions via that organization or the others that have been listed. Consider posting once you have--not to boast but to show support and encourage others in our community to do the same.
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
more agencies Dec 30, 2004

Another international organisation you might want to contribute to is Médecins Sans Frontières a.k.a. Doctors Without Borders - http://www.msf.org/ - if you click on "donations" at the top of the page you get the list of all the MSF websites by nation where credit card donations are accepted online (make sure you select the "tsunami relief" option instead of the general donation). They set up a specific fund and ar... See more
Another international organisation you might want to contribute to is Médecins Sans Frontières a.k.a. Doctors Without Borders - http://www.msf.org/ - if you click on "donations" at the top of the page you get the list of all the MSF websites by nation where credit card donations are accepted online (make sure you select the "tsunami relief" option instead of the general donation). They set up a specific fund and are already on location with their volunteers and cargos.

Like Henry says, donating to aid agencies who have already set up funds is the best way, it would be impractical for any company that is not an NGO to organise and manage that. In fact even large companies that donate big sums send them via the Red Cross and the like.

Perhaps a banner or special notice on the Proz.com front page with a link to a list of agencies could be useful? (Something like on the Amazon home page). It could point to the CNN page with all the links, it's a rather comprehensive list:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.aidsites/
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
MSF Dec 30, 2004

Traweb wrote:

Another international organisation you might want to contribute to is Médecins Sans Frontières a.k.a. Doctors Without Borders - http://www.msf.org/ - if you click on "donations" at the top of the page you get the list of all the MSF websites by nation where credit card donations are accepted online (make sure you select the "tsunami relief" option instead of the general donation). They set up a specific fund and are already on location with their volunteers and cargos.

Like Henry says, donating to aid agencies who have already set up funds is the best way, it would be impractical for any company that is not an NGO to organise and manage that. In fact even large companies that donate big sums send them via the Red Cross and the like.

Perhaps a banner or special notice on the Proz.com front page with a link to a list of agencies could be useful? (Something like on the Amazon home page). It could point to the CNN page with all the links, it's a rather comprehensive list:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.aidsites/

My experience of them has been (Guatemala, 2002), they seem to be the fastest, with the least organizational problems, probably owing to their defined scope and priorities.

A big thanks to all who have posted aid and news links.

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:28
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Donating to international aid agencies is the best way now Dec 30, 2004

Time is running very short for people affected by this disaster, as millions of survivors have nothing to survive on and road links have been destroyed in many areas on an unprecedented scale. And even agencies are facing difficulties in overall coordination, let alone individual aid efforts.

Yes, the list on the above mentioned CNN page is quite comprehensive. Taken together with a similar list on the BBC page noted below, people can choose among different global aid organisations:
... See more
Time is running very short for people affected by this disaster, as millions of survivors have nothing to survive on and road links have been destroyed in many areas on an unprecedented scale. And even agencies are facing difficulties in overall coordination, let alone individual aid efforts.

Yes, the list on the above mentioned CNN page is quite comprehensive. Taken together with a similar list on the BBC page noted below, people can choose among different global aid organisations:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4131881.stm

And the links posted by anjoboira (5th message from top) are quite comprehensive too, especially the first link.

A banner or something else on the ProZ front page is a good idea.

If there's any possibility that it will be of use, offering translations as donations looks like a good idea too (as suggested just below).

[Edited at 2004-12-30 17:54]
Collapse

E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Long-term view Dec 30, 2004

I agree with Henry that now it is important to give a QUICK help and to make contributions to existing organizations.
But starting an own contribution channel would give bigger results on a long-term-view.

The idea with the banner is great!

I also agree with Csaba that most help will go to Thailand, but most need will have Sumatra and then Sri Lanka.

It would be good that we do not forget this item in the next months and make a “personal” Proz-c
... See more
I agree with Henry that now it is important to give a QUICK help and to make contributions to existing organizations.
But starting an own contribution channel would give bigger results on a long-term-view.

The idea with the banner is great!

I also agree with Csaba that most help will go to Thailand, but most need will have Sumatra and then Sri Lanka.

It would be good that we do not forget this item in the next months and make a “personal” Proz-contribution.

When I wrote my initial sentences, I was also thinking in the fact that we have an extraordinary LANGUAGE-capacity, necessary in international comunication.

I do not know a lot about the management of such problems, but if there is a possibility, we should offer TRANSLATIONS as donations.

Perhaps we could get together to make a useful network. This especially regarding problems which will appear after the biggest damage is repared, but people still will have a lot of problems to solve…
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you want to send help directly to Sri Lanka, India, etc... Dec 30, 2004

From Rotary International:

India:
Send your check to "RI District 3000, c/o Governor M. Elangovan, M D., Hotel Sevana, Tiruchirapalli 620 001." For additional details, contact: Sd.Prof R Panchanadhan, District Secretary, RI District 3000, No 5, 9th Cross, 7th Main, Srinivasanagar, Tiruchirapalli 620 017.

Indonesia:
The Rotary Club of Bali Ubud is collecting donations of all kinds for the residents of Aceh in Sumatra, Indonesia. International donors are asked
... See more
From Rotary International:

India:
Send your check to "RI District 3000, c/o Governor M. Elangovan, M D., Hotel Sevana, Tiruchirapalli 620 001." For additional details, contact: Sd.Prof R Panchanadhan, District Secretary, RI District 3000, No 5, 9th Cross, 7th Main, Srinivasanagar, Tiruchirapalli 620 017.

Indonesia:
The Rotary Club of Bali Ubud is collecting donations of all kinds for the residents of Aceh in Sumatra, Indonesia. International donors are asked to send money which will then be used to purchase food and essential supplies. Please contact: John Pyle, Dirnah Bungalows, Penestana Kaja, Ubud, Bali 80581, Indonesia.

Sri Lanka:
Gehan de Alwis, Rotary Club of Colombo Regency, c/o Omega Technologies (Private) Limited, # 618 ½, Galle Road, Colombo 3, SRI LANKA (Office), Mobile/ Text: + 94 77 7368820, Email: [email protected]; MSN ID: [email protected]. The club has also set up a relief Web site at www.reliefforsrilanka.blogspot.com. Additionally, www.lankafood.com has set up a site for purchasing donations online. Donations will be routed to the Rotary Club of Colombo Regency to help the affected areas.

Thailand:
Please channel all funds through PDG Krit Indhewat or Miss Danucha Pumitavorn at [email protected], Director, Rotary Centre in Thailand, 32/f Ocean Tower 2, 75-82-83 Soi Watana, Asoke Road, Watana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand. Tel: (662) 661-6720, Fax: (662) 661-6719.

Source: http://www.rotary.org/programs/wcs/disaster/reliefefforts.html
Collapse

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Buy FOOD and MEDICAL supplies on-line for Sri Lanka victims: Dec 30, 2004

http://www.lankafood.com/disaster_relief.htm

Updated on the 31st

Keep helping... THANK YOU!!!!

"We continue to receive large amounts of dry rations from well wishers across the globe [through LankaFood] besides our own Rotarians and friends. Even after packing off sacks and more sacks this is how our warehouse at our Operations Room [Rotarian Bary
... See more
http://www.lankafood.com/disaster_relief.htm

Updated on the 31st

Keep helping... THANK YOU!!!!

"We continue to receive large amounts of dry rations from well wishers across the globe [through LankaFood] besides our own Rotarians and friends. Even after packing off sacks and more sacks this is how our warehouse at our Operations Room [Rotarian Bary's home at Cambridge Place] looked, at around 10 pm last night; 31 December.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60104382@N00/2751398/

We have received over US$12,500 worth of orders for dry rations from the US and over US$12,000 from outside the US just through our LankaFood link over the last 4 days. We have roped in several of our members to tabulate and process the orders and prepare acknowledgements to all of you sending in donations. Please bear with us until we tide over these few days to send you official receipts."

[Edited at 2004-12-31 10:28]

[Edited at 2005-01-01 11:18]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great link, JL !! Dec 30, 2004

Meantime, I'm still trying to locate a friend in Colombo... may have to yell for help, though, it's been 4 days of bouncing mail and trying to reach our contacts in common.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ceci...what do you need? Dec 30, 2004

Contact these guys in Madrid and tell him what you need. They have established links to tsunami-hit areas:

91.477 14 13 - Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles [email protected]

The Secy General's name is: José Díaz González (EA4BPJ) he might be able to contact friends in Sri Lanka:

President of the Amateur Radio Club there Victor Goonetileke, 4S7VK
Secretary: Kusal Epa, 4S7KE

or contact the
... See more
Contact these guys in Madrid and tell him what you need. They have established links to tsunami-hit areas:

91.477 14 13 - Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles [email protected]

The Secy General's name is: José Díaz González (EA4BPJ) he might be able to contact friends in Sri Lanka:

President of the Amateur Radio Club there Victor Goonetileke, 4S7VK

or contact the radio club there (I know they have established a network to find out about missing persons in the area). Sri Lanka's club: Tel: +94 (11) 2614098 , (11) 2853982

Try this:

SRI LANKA Radio Society of Sri Lanka [RSSL]
Address: P.O. Box 907, Colombo
Tel: +94 (11) 2614098 , (11) 2853982
Email: [email protected] , [email protected]
Web: http://www.qsl.net/rssl
President: Victor Goonetileke, 4S7VK
IARU liaison: President
Last updated: 27-Feb-2004

[Edited at 2004-12-30 18:13]
Collapse

E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Need information for bank donation Dec 30, 2004

I was looking the different informations for donations, but for certain reason I cannot make donations by Internet. I could not find informations for normal transfer.
Is there anybody in Germany who can give me full information on a bank account I can direct donation for Sri Lanka?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Offering help for tsunami victims as ProZians

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »