Mobile menu

Thread poster: seaMount

Local time: 00:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2005

The reactions and actions showed on the ProZ-forums, speak of a many qualities we (ProZians, translators in general) share and have in common: compassion, initiative, awareness, worldwide networking social relations .... and much more.
It’s the Tsunami-horror that gives impulse and energy to express these qualities, but also, in my perception, just another recent initiative shows the same ‘binding factor’. Heart-warming!
Qualities that feed a strong sense of community, the need to unite on more than just a professional level.
Suggestions f.i. were given by ProZians Csaba Ban and Marion Schimmelpfennig, E.LA, Balaban Cerit (regarding something like a Tsunami Pledge Fund and aid for a Russian hospital).
To follow-up on this and - not in the least - on my drive I would like to suggest a few things (Bear with me please, these are just a few ideas).

1. We are ‘One
I suggest to recognize that:
- we are part of one big human family sharing to same house and ‘living ground’
- we are (from time to time) in need of doing something good, sustainable, worthwhile and essential
- we have essential qualities in common - personal and professional - that makes us a specific community
- we have a very specific role: enabling communication & connection between people, cultures, countries, institutions, movements etc. - all across this world
- many of us are - considering our business & organisational resources) - too small to come up with a substantial (not-for-profit) contributions to society; that is, of course, besides our individual or personal actions.

2. We ‘too
I suggest to recognize that - in case of specific situations or events that call for aid, relief actions etc.:
- many professional contributions (aid, food, medical care, coordination, logistics etc.) are best provided by other professional organisations
- but our specific contribution could have a right on its own: translation & interpretation services, using our network for fundraising

3. We ‘free
I suggest to state that - for a certain period:
- we can donate a small percentage (f.i. a symbolic ONE percent) of our income to a certain fund
- we can offer free translation services
- we should be able to coordinate these services in terms of matching demand and supply
- we …. ?

4. We ‘for
I suggest to state that:
- these funds can be used to donate to institutions or organisations like the IRC (Red Cross/Crescent), Unicef, Care etc.
- these funds could be used to pay for specific translation or interpreting services as relief aid

4. We ‘TranslAid
“We” could be more than just the ProZ-community. Think about: freelancers, translation agencies, translation organisation (like ATA, FIT) ...
We are a working community - in a way a global networked virtual company.
Corporate Social Responsibility and alike are not just a fling.
It’s a bare necessity for sustainable development.
It’s also about us.
It’s about ‘one’, ‘too’, ‘free’ and ‘for’, so to speak.

..... hmmm, well, ... interesting thought ... yes, but ....

What action is needed, what action is possible?

a. I can’t give you a conclusive answer to that
b. I can offer some help, but - as you probably do - I have work to attend, a family to support, bills to pay and have to spend time with people I love, who I need and who are in need of me
c. we can poll these ideas, find out what is reasonable, come up with more tangible ideas,
d. we can think of many obstacles (how to arrange for a banking services, an accountant, settlements between parties, a website, organisation ...)
e. we can come up with specific expertise & contacts (many of which could well be used for little or no expense)
f. we can distribute ‘themes & issues’ amongst peers/people who know how to deal them
g. we can ask ‘the others’ to join in, to get organized, offer some time & other resources get this thing going

And we could call it TranslAid!

[Edited at 2005-01-02 13:55]

Direct link Reply with quote
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:33
Interesting post! Jan 3, 2005

I like your points on the subject. Well put, too. Something to think over.

11thmuse  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
TransLaid to the Toolbar Jan 5, 2005

Henry wrote:

I like your points on the subject. Well put, too. Something to think over.

The ideas are interesting but might need some more time to think about.
seaMount's initiative will soon be snowed under by other forum topics and issues.
Is it possible to put seaMount's thoughts under a toolbar option: "TranslAid"?

Henk Jansen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs