Thread poster: giogi
giogi
giogi
Local time: 04:56
Jan 10, 2005

Dear All,
have a look here:
http://www.edge.org/q2005/q05_print.html#mcewan

A thought-provoking discussion, isn't it?
Giovanna

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
so interesting! Jan 10, 2005

Giovanna Rampone, PhD wrote:
Dear All,
have a look here:
Giovanna

But I need to work, you know??!!

This will provide reading material for a few days (if I don't get too carried away and go on and on and on...)

Thanks!
Grace.

giogi
giogi
TOPIC STARTER
hi Grace, it may be Jan 10, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

This will provide reading material for a few days (if I don't get too carried away and go on and on and on...)

Thanks!
Grace.

a good treatment of sleeplessness!!!!
Cheers
Giovanna

Domenica Grangiotti
Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Or it might be Jan 10, 2005

a good way to be carried away and read for the whole night!!
Thanks for posting this

Domenica

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:56
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Not fair, Giovanna! ;-) Jan 10, 2005

I checked the link during a lunch break, but realize that I'll have to snip myself away by force since work is waiting. And while reading I found myself wishing I could find a version of this site in Italian and in Danish to avoid the inevitable: If I speak with others about it - since wanting to share interesting things with friends is quite normal - they will want me to translate what I've read, and I simply haven't got the time for it! So I'm forced to read this site in silence, at nighttim... See more
I checked the link during a lunch break, but realize that I'll have to snip myself away by force since work is waiting. And while reading I found myself wishing I could find a version of this site in Italian and in Danish to avoid the inevitable: If I speak with others about it - since wanting to share interesting things with friends is quite normal - they will want me to translate what I've read, and I simply haven't got the time for it! So I'm forced to read this site in silence, at nighttime, and NOT to tell anyone about it!

Not fair, Giovanna. Not fair!
Collapse

giogi
giogi
TOPIC STARTER
So Dinny, Jan 10, 2005

Dinny wrote:

Not fair, Giovanna. Not fair!

It seems that my innocent intentions raised the roof!!!!!!!
That's called "imponderable"!
No way to find the survey in languages other than English....forgive me!!!!
Giovanna

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Pubblicato sul Il Sole 24 ore Jan 10, 2005

Nella pagina del link c'è scritto che alcuni estratti sono stati pubblicati su Il Sole 24 ore (inserto cultura) di domenica scorsa, 9 gennaio.
Laura

giogi
giogi
TOPIC STARTER
Sì, Laura Jan 10, 2005

Laura Gentili wrote:

Nella pagina del link c'è scritto che alcuni estratti sono stati pubblicati su Il Sole 24 ore (inserto cultura) di domenica scorsa, 9 gennaio.
Laura

ma pochissima roba!
Ciao!

Pnina
Pnina
Israel
Local time: 06:56
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
Have decided to read several parts of it Jan 12, 2005

Giovanna Rampone, PhD wrote:

Dear All,
have a look here:

Giovanna

Dear Giovanna,
It is very kind of you to share with us your discovery of a website that provides thought-provoking reading material. Have added the link to my favourites, although I am not kidding myself that I will manage to read all the responses of 120 leading thinkers. Probably will read some of them in my free time.

When I don't have work to do I like reading for pleasure and enjoy reading in Italian. Usually I read stories that were written by Alberto Moravia, Dino Buzzati and Cesare Pavese. They are thought-povoking. Now I am thinking that reading sometimes about the beliefs of modern thinkers will enrich my mind with knowledge.

Thank you very much.

Very sincerely,

Pnina

giogi
giogi
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Pnina Jan 12, 2005

I'm happy you appreciated my suggestion. Unfortunately it's a great deal of stuff, I know, but it can be easily (as you did) split into many "episodes"!
I'm an avid reader as well... and we can keep in touch sometimes, just to exchange reading suggestions and opinions...What do you think?
Cheers
Giovanna

seaMount
seaMount
Dutch to English
+ ...
The Field Jan 12, 2005

... then you will probably all love to read about "The Field" (to some: where religion unites with science).
http://web.ionsys.com/~remedy/PRESENCE%20OF%20THE%20PAST.htm
Stimulating it is ....

giogi
giogi
TOPIC STARTER
A thousand thanks... Jan 13, 2005

seaMount wrote:

... then you will probably all love to read about "The Field" (to some: where religion unites with science).
http://web.ionsys.com/~remedy/PRESENCE%20OF%20THE%20PAST.htm
Stimulating it is ....

for your hint!
Giovanna

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
and what about Zeilinger? Jan 13, 2005

Hi Giovanna, thanks for sharing this interesting link. Did you notice, just after Ian Wilmut's, Anton Zeilinger's contribution? ("What I believe but cannot prove is that quantum physics teaches us to abandon the distinction between information and reality.") You should know him by now... well, I do, sort of

giogi
giogi
TOPIC STARTER
I did notice Jan 14, 2005

immediately what you say! definitely it's one of the more interesting arguments in the "survey"...The higher levels of thinking always involve boh critcal and creatice thinking, don't you think so?
Thanks for sharing!
Giovanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A stimulating discussion

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »