Off topic: An agency just "checked" my translation using BING
Thread poster: Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:39
German to English
Apr 9, 2015

and they are not happy because BING translated the words differently so mine must be wrong....
O-M-G
It'd be funny if it wouldn't be so aggravating!!!

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's not an agency Apr 9, 2015

They may call themselves an agency but that's not a translation agency, heck if Bing is so good why didn't they just have Bing translate it for them. I mean really.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can discuss with someone like that, if they believe Bing is that good they will believe anything.

Jana Garnsworthy
Jana Garnsworthy
Local time: 05:39
Czech to English
+ ...
Seriously??! Apr 9, 2015

What did you tell them?

Sandesh Ghimire
Sandesh Ghimire  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 10:24
Nepali to English
+ ...
They are in-betweens Apr 9, 2015

These so called agencies can even have a text translated by google translate and send the output to you to have it proofread which however includes a comprehensive editing. Beware!

Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:39
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I have worked for this agency Apr 9, 2015

for many years and it's the first time this has happened. I just told them why I think my translation is correct (it was only 2 words that they questioned in the whole text) and they accepted my explanation.
I just thought it was hilarious that a "global agency" apparently uses Bing as quality control.

I have had a few "proofreading" offers where the client did a machine translation and wanted an actual person to do the "proof" (not by this particular client though), and I try
... See more
for many years and it's the first time this has happened. I just told them why I think my translation is correct (it was only 2 words that they questioned in the whole text) and they accepted my explanation.
I just thought it was hilarious that a "global agency" apparently uses Bing as quality control.

I have had a few "proofreading" offers where the client did a machine translation and wanted an actual person to do the "proof" (not by this particular client though), and I try to avoid them like the plaque
Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:39
German to English
+ ...
Say what! Apr 9, 2015

Oh my gosh, Heike, that is SO funny!

Sorry to laugh at your pain but this kind of situation is so ridiculous that you have to laugh or you'll end up pulling your hair out in frustration.

And then I went to Bing Translator to have a little more of a giggle:

into German:

Sorry, deinen Schmerz, aber solche Situationen Lachen ist so lächerlich, dass Sie lachen oder Sie am Ende Ihre Haare herausziehen, frustriert.
... See more
Oh my gosh, Heike, that is SO funny!

Sorry to laugh at your pain but this kind of situation is so ridiculous that you have to laugh or you'll end up pulling your hair out in frustration.

And then I went to Bing Translator to have a little more of a giggle:

into German:

Sorry, deinen Schmerz, aber solche Situationen Lachen ist so lächerlich, dass Sie lachen oder Sie am Ende Ihre Haare herausziehen, frustriert.

...and back into English:

Sorry, your pain, but such situations laughter is so ridiculous that you laugh or pull out at the end of your hair, frustrated.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:39
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It happened to me once... Apr 9, 2015

A colleague had outsourced some texts to me - he is an expert on engineering and IT, but Danish, and one of his clients wanted a short text translated into English. It was about clothes for mature women like me, and I really did my best.

The client compared it with Google Translate, and then complained...

My colleague wrote a brilliant explanation in Danish about lotteries and intuition, algorithms and female figures.

Stupidly I did not archive it properly
... See more
A colleague had outsourced some texts to me - he is an expert on engineering and IT, but Danish, and one of his clients wanted a short text translated into English. It was about clothes for mature women like me, and I really did my best.

The client compared it with Google Translate, and then complained...

My colleague wrote a brilliant explanation in Danish about lotteries and intuition, algorithms and female figures.

Stupidly I did not archive it properly and it got lost when I scrapped my last computer. The client sent us several more texts and NEVER mentioned GT again.
Collapse

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
Hilarious Apr 10, 2015

Why didn't they use Bing to do the translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An agency just "checked" my translation using BING

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »