Off topic: Tips for sleeping well
Thread poster: Monika Coulson

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2005

I found the following tips interesting, so I thought to share them with you, even though IMO, as translators we might have another problem: not enough time to sleep.
Any tips for that??

Eat for Better Sleep

A few simple, small changes to your diet may make a dramatic difference in the quantity and quality of your sleep. Avoiding certain items before bedtime can help minimize sleep disturbances, whereas certain other foods may help promote sleep.

4 Sleep-Friendly Foods
Sometimes a light snack can improve your shuteye, as long as you keep portion sizes small. Try one of these sleep-friendly items about an hour before bedtime:

1. A glass of milk contains L-tryptophan, an amino acid that is a natural sleep inducer.

2. Whole-wheat toast and jam is a high carbohydrate snack. Carbohydrates may increase sleepiness and strengthen rapid eye movement (REM) sleep.

3. Almonds are rich in magnesium. Magnesium deficiencies can contribute to sleep troubles. Stock up on magnesium-rich foods during the day, too, with pinto beans, navy beans, pumpkin seeds, wheat germ, and spinach.

4. Bananas may boost serotonin levels. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter with sleep-promoting properties.

Think Twice Before You Consume

Even in small amounts, caffeine can affect how well you sleep. It can stay in your system for up to 12 hours, so it's best to avoid any caffeine-containing foods and drinks after lunchtime.

Drinking alcohol right before you hop into bed may help you to fall asleep, but alcohol keeps you in the lighter stages of sleep, depriving you of beneficial deep sleep and REM sleep. It also can increase the number of times you awaken during the night. Having a drink with dinner is fine, but avoid alcohol within two hours of bedtime.

Click here for more tips.

[Edited at 2005-01-18 17:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
All well meant... Jan 19, 2005

...but not easy to follow. I mean no alcohol and caffeine after lunch.
Reminds me of the following anecdote:
The famous philosopher Friedrich Nietsche had always problems with getting enough sleep. He usually would work all day, eat a heavy meal only shortly befor turning in and sleep poorly (after all his sexlife was nonexistent). Once he was walking in the mountains and lost his way, could only find shelter, no food, at a cottage. He slept perfectly all night. Next day he bought the bed he had slept in and let it bring to his residence. But the bed did not work at his home, taking up his usual habits he couldn't sleep any better in it.

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Jan 19, 2005

Now I know as well what NOT tot eat & drink during working.

Have a nice, wide-awake day or a sleepy, refreshing, invigorating night.

Ingrid Lovric
English to Croatian
+ ...
My humble advice :-) Jan 19, 2005

I have no trouble at all sleeping at night: after an 8 hour working day, cooking and cleaning when I come home, playing with a 1.5 year old boy and trying to do a bit more translation work after I put him to bed, I can hardly keep my eyes open. And when I add to that that my son wakes me up at least a couple of times during the night...

What I'm looking for is someone who is willing to stay up a couple of nights with my boy, so that mommy can get some much needed sleep!

All the best from tiered mom and translator!

Alison Schwitzgebel
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Me too! Jan 19, 2005

Ingrid Lovric wrote:

What I'm looking for is someone who is willing to stay up a couple of nights with my boy, so that mommy can get some much needed sleep!

Me too! 3 kids, two cats, one dog, at least 8 hours of work and one hour of dog walking/pram pushing, housework, cooking, supervised homework.... Not to mention that our 10-month old wakes me up at least twice a night (last night it was five times!!!!).

Any volunteers?

Local time: 21:04
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Still nursing, Alison? Jan 19, 2005

My Nathan nursed till 11 months, and woke several times a night for this fun interlude (for him) (ok, for me too;-))

But when I severed him (sorry, I'm thinking in French today, I realise that sever has a diff connotation in English, but I assure you we were not practicing stage magic with saws and boxes) he began to let me sleep through the night.

Now the problem is different: keeping him dry at night involves rising from bed at ungodly hours, difficulties there too!

I agree with the other working Mums: the problem is not so much insomnia; it's finding time to unwind and get some decent sleep-time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for sleeping well

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs