Mobile menu

Off topic: "conducive to" or "conductive to"?
Thread poster: cuckowski
cuckowski
Local time: 17:02
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2005

Dear translators/native speakers of Enlish

I am having problems/doubts about the use of the phrase "conducive to" [help sth, support, lead to sth] stating the result of sth. I noticed in many cases people tend to use "conductive to" instead. The problem is it is not supported by any dictionary I have access to [they all give only one meaning of conductive = leading electric current].

Still, on the internet there are many examples of the "wrong" use, also in native speakers' English.

So are these just two optional phrases or just a wide-spread error?

Could you please comment on that, help me out?

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
French to English
conducive to Jan 28, 2005

speaking as a native British English speaker.

But think you should post it as Eng>Eng kudoz question!

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
EN mono Jan 28, 2005

Hi,

I suggest you post the above as an English monolingual question here on Proz.com.

HTH
Agnieszka

Tony Pratschke
Ireland
Local time: 16:02
Irish to English
+ ...
Conducive Jan 28, 2005

Hello!

I am a native speaker of English, living in Ireland. You are correct when you suggest that "conducive to" is the right form. I have never heard or seen "conductive to" used in this context. I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Tony Pratschke

cuckowski wrote:

Dear translators/native speakers of Enlish

I am having problems/doubts about the use of the phrase "conducive to" [help sth, support, lead to sth] stating the result of sth. I noticed in many cases people tend to use "conductive to" instead. The problem is it is not supported by any dictionary I have access to [they all give only one meaning of conductive = leading electric current].

Still, on the internet there are many examples of the "wrong" use, also in native speakers' English.

So are these just two optional phrases or just a wide-spread error?

Could you please comment on that, help me out?

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
conductive Jan 28, 2005

is a spelling mistake (well at least it is here).

HTH,
Robin

Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:02
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
"conducive to" Jan 28, 2005

I am a native speaker of English (for 50 years now!) and have made making my living with the language all my adult life. Until reading your posting I had never heard "conductive to." It is simply incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
"conducive to" Jan 28, 2005

I am a native speaker of English (for 50 years now!) and have made my living with the language all my adult life. Until reading your posting I had never heard "conductive to." It is simply incorrect.

Hope this helps.

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 10:02
French to English
+ ...
conducive (only) Jan 28, 2005

I agree with Tony, Robin and Charlie!

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Well, you've got your answer : conducive to Jan 29, 2005

but in future, when you have such a question, just post it to English-English KudoZ. You'll get more answers that way, as tygru mentioned earlier. Plus you get to grant points to the answer you select, and the answer will make its way to the KudoZ Open Glossary (aka KoG), for future reference (yes, others who are seeking the same answer will be able to find it easily!)

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"conducive to" or "conductive to"?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs