Thread poster: Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
German to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 5, 2005

Hello everybody,

In a very few days I`ll visit Washington D.C. and I will stay there until the 29th of March. I would like to know if it's complicated to get an ADSL connection in the U.S. ( In Spain you need to wait 20 days to get it.)
The problem is that I still need to work during these days and I think I won`t be able to connect to my spanish wanadoo server from there.
And another question: will any of my spanish wanadoo DSL modems work with an ADSL US connection (
... See more
Hello everybody,

In a very few days I`ll visit Washington D.C. and I will stay there until the 29th of March. I would like to know if it's complicated to get an ADSL connection in the U.S. ( In Spain you need to wait 20 days to get it.)
The problem is that I still need to work during these days and I think I won`t be able to connect to my spanish wanadoo server from there.
And another question: will any of my spanish wanadoo DSL modems work with an ADSL US connection ( sorry for my ignorance). My opinion is that a DSL modem should work no matter who is the provider. The question is how to install it?

By the way I would be happy if I could meet there someone of the Proz community.

Thanks in advance and
Kind Regards willdlp

[Edited at 2005-03-05 18:02]

[Edited at 2005-03-05 18:03]
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
For 99% NOT Mar 5, 2005

They have their proprietary (custom) systems, which are for sure not compatible with ours. What should be possible, is a connection through Wi-Fi (WLAN), LAN, or Bluetooth - the standards are all over the world the same (Bluetooth and WLAN to a limited extent).

And 20 days, my God! When I think that our nationwide-hated Telecom provides the connection within 1 hour, we should maybe re-consider our opinion on them...... See more
They have their proprietary (custom) systems, which are for sure not compatible with ours. What should be possible, is a connection through Wi-Fi (WLAN), LAN, or Bluetooth - the standards are all over the world the same (Bluetooth and WLAN to a limited extent).

And 20 days, my God! When I think that our nationwide-hated Telecom provides the connection within 1 hour, we should maybe re-consider our opinion on them...

Good luck

[Edited at 2005-03-05 20:38]
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:50
Where will you be staying? Mar 5, 2005

willdlp wrote:

Hello everybody,

And another question: will any of my spanish wanadoo DSL modems work with an ADSL US connection ( sorry for my ignorance). My opinion is that a DSL modem should work no matter who is the provider. The question is how to install it?

By the way I would be happy if I could meet there someone of the Proz community.

Thanks in advance and
Kind Regards willdlp

[Edited at 2005-03-05 18:02]

[Edited at 2005-03-05 18:03]

If you are going to be staying in a hotel, it will most probably have access to an ADSL connection, either directly from your room, or from the "business center".

If you will be staying with friends, hopefully, they have access to an ADSL connection from their home phone line. Otherwise, I believe it is going to be somewhat difficult to obtain a temporary ADSL connection. There are always the Internet cafes. I have no idea about Wanadoo. I lived in DC until November last year, and it would have been nice to meet you Will. However, I am now a few miles away, in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Nevertheless, there is a nice Proz community in the DC area; just take a look at the Powwow page. They had their last meeting about three weeks ago. The you will find some nice colleagues whom you might want to contact directly.

[Edited at 2005-03-05 22:23]

Guillermo de la Puerta
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
En casa de mi tía :-) Mar 5, 2005

I will stay in my aunt's house. I, ve asked her by mail but until now I don't get an answer. If a DSL is not possible, what is the most realistic way to get connected?

Sorry you don't still live in D.C.Perhaps another time.
I have an oncle in Sao Paulo. He is very well known and sometimes appears in the TV. Oscar Quevedo,most known as padre Quevedo a priest himself.

I,ll try to contact the colleague
... See more
I will stay in my aunt's house. I, ve asked her by mail but until now I don't get an answer. If a DSL is not possible, what is the most realistic way to get connected?

Sorry you don't still live in D.C.Perhaps another time.
I have an oncle in Sao Paulo. He is very well known and sometimes appears in the TV. Oscar Quevedo,most known as padre Quevedo a priest himself.

I,ll try to contact the colleagues of the D.C. proz community.

Thanks and Kind Regards willdlp
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Starbucks Mar 5, 2005

Hola!

I assume you'll be bringing a laptop, not your full desktop equipment.

Given the cost of setting up the account and installing DSL on the line, you're better off outfitting your laptop with Wi-Fi (or Airport if you have a Mac) and walking over to the nearest Starbucks (coffee shop, ubiquitous in all American cities, with good coffee).

Have a nice trip!
Esther

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 14:50
English to Russian
+ ...
If nothing else... Mar 6, 2005

From my personal experience - dial-up in the US works much better than in Europe. Sure it is slow but you don't feel like you are about to hang yourself on that phone cord, and breaking up is much more rare. No way to live with it permanently when you are a professional translator, but at least you'll be in touch with your email and able to send "normal-size" text files from the house - for a temporary resort is might be not such a bad option.

Check the site below. I used it mysel
... See more
From my personal experience - dial-up in the US works much better than in Europe. Sure it is slow but you don't feel like you are about to hang yourself on that phone cord, and breaking up is much more rare. No way to live with it permanently when you are a professional translator, but at least you'll be in touch with your email and able to send "normal-size" text files from the house - for a temporary resort is might be not such a bad option.

Check the site below. I used it myself - no obligations, no hidden charges. The account stays active infinitely, but you pay nothing when you don't use it. You'll have to sign up when you are already in the States, but it takes very little time and money.

For initial connection and heavy loads there are various Internet cafes.

http://www.access-4-free.com/.

Welcome to the U.S.:-)
Collapse

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Dial-up may be best bet Mar 6, 2005

I agree with Irene, since you are staying in a private home temporarily, dial-up may be the best bet, assuming your aunt does not already have DSL service. The downside, however, is that you tie up the phone line if you want to stay connected continuously. A compromise, then, is to check your email every half-hour so; furthermore, if most of your contacts are in Europe, your peak hours will begin at 3AM Washington time, so it may not matter if you tie up the phone until, say, 8-9 AM.
... See more
I agree with Irene, since you are staying in a private home temporarily, dial-up may be the best bet, assuming your aunt does not already have DSL service. The downside, however, is that you tie up the phone line if you want to stay connected continuously. A compromise, then, is to check your email every half-hour so; furthermore, if most of your contacts are in Europe, your peak hours will begin at 3AM Washington time, so it may not matter if you tie up the phone until, say, 8-9 AM.

So, you may be comforted to know that there is no charge for local calls in the US, unlike in Europe where the cost of each connection makes dial-up expensive (though it appears that DSL is less expensive in Europe than in the States).

Buen trabajo,

Steve
Collapse

CNF
CNF
Local time: 16:50
Internet Roaming Mar 8, 2005

http://www.caribsurf.com/services/access/ipass/

Good option for people who travel a lot and need to be connected on their lap-tops. Even though this is not your case now, have a look at the site, they provide high speed services, too. A friend of mine who travels round the world uses it, so I'm afraid I can't tell you much about speed.

HTH!
Naty :^)

Guillermo de la Puerta
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody Mar 12, 2005

Hi,
thanks to everybody for the information. I am here in D.C. for the 2 first days enjoying it´s turistic places.
I have a connection through the computer of my relative.
Right now I have a different problem. Once I have accepted to go for a dial up connection, I realized I forgot the power cable of my modem. I bought a Belkin adapter with 4 plugs . The adapter booklet says if you apply a different voltage your computer may get crushed...
My modem is a US Robotics Sport
... See more
Hi,
thanks to everybody for the information. I am here in D.C. for the 2 first days enjoying it´s turistic places.
I have a connection through the computer of my relative.
Right now I have a different problem. Once I have accepted to go for a dial up connection, I realized I forgot the power cable of my modem. I bought a Belkin adapter with 4 plugs . The adapter booklet says if you apply a different voltage your computer may get crushed...
My modem is a US Robotics Sportster Flash made in the EU Ireland.
Anyway there are many places here to get connected.

Best Regards willdlp
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 14:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Why would you need one? Mar 13, 2005

Now I'm lost:-)

Did you forget a laptop power cable with the adapter?

You mean you don't have a built-in dial-up modem?? Only external?

Supposedly all you need should be a phone cable.

[Edited at 2005-03-13 02:20]

Guillermo de la Puerta
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No dial up modem build in Mar 13, 2005

IreneN wrote:

Now I'm lost:-)

Did you forget a laptop power cable with the adapter?

You mean you don't have a built-in dial-up modem?? Only external?

Supposedly all you need should be a phone cable.

[Edited at 2005-03-13 02:20]

Yes. Strangely enough there is no dial up modem build in in my laptop, the reason being that once I needed to get my laptop repaired, and the technical decided to open the laptop and get the modem out because he thought it was causing all the trouble I had(hangups, blue screens, suddenly shutting down etc).
I had a bitter discussion with the technical because the laptop still didnt work anyway. He began to shout at me and I went out of the shop without my modem.
I never got my dial up modem back because It was not very pleasant to enter that place anymore.
That was a long time ago and I just didn't need a dial up modem any more since I have been using an ADSL connection all the time. I know it all sounds like a novel but that`s what happened.

So for this travel I brought an external dial up modem (after deciding that a DSL connection wasn't worth for such a short time).But unfortunately I forgot the damned power plug for the modem (not the laptop's power cable).

So I bought a power plug ( for the modem) with a frequency adapter (Belkin is the brand).It has been impossible to find the company to buy the original one.

Kind Regards willdlp

P.S. There is a different voltage in the U.S. and If you are not using the original power plug with the right frequency this may crush the computer

[Edited at 2005-03-13 05:03]

[Edited at 2005-03-14 17:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ADSL conection in USA

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »