Off topic: A good example of machine translation
Thread poster: Robert INGLEDEW

Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2005

I recently posted this article (the author recognized it is a machine translation, done with Power Translation), that has interesting information on dorado fishing in Argentina. You can look it in in my forums on Latin America. But I paste it here to show the poor quality of machine translation:

"Port Paradise Itatí"

A good season beginning

By: Hugo Gallo

We visit the new one fishing that Cabins "Port Paradise" it is building in the city of Itatí, responding to an invitation of "Santiago", administrator of the emprendimiento, is a property in the coast of the River Paraná, amid a forest of quebrachos, lapachos, timbó etc., with own slope of boats, to few meters of the access to the city, the complex it will consist of ten cabins for four people, desayunador and closed dining room, quincho with grills to eat lunch outdoors and the grateful service of "Port Paradise"

We arrive to the complex in the morning and at eight o'clock we were fishing, our guide in this occasion was "Cuca", with vast experience in the he/she fishes of that area, the river was not in the ideal level, he/she had a flow of two meters on their normal level, and the temperature was quite high.
To few minutes of the Complex we begin with the fishing, we made fallen with bait, that in this opportunity was eel, this is a bait that one works different to the moraine, since it is quite hard and the fish doesn't eat it with many desires, for the so much thing is to have calm and to allow it to eat enough, since of him contrary we will miss the one nailed.
In the second passing I have one taken, I hold back the cane plantation desires for several seconds....... I wait a little more..... and I nail, I see jump a beautiful one golden, he/she gave a fight spectacular, several jumps and then to the guide's arms, him we take out the pictures and we returned it to their River.

We continue with the fishing, we allow that place and ourselves to rest we went to a slide near the coast, there we had a couple of you itch missed, seemingly of small fish, we prove in a veril without results and us we returned to the locus in quo we fish the first gilding.

In this opportunity Patricia was who had the luck of an I/you/he/she itches free, she gave him a good race and it nailed the second piece of the day, in this case the gilding was a little smaller than the previous one, but the twirls and jumps that gave us they filled the view, in few minutes we had it captured in the camera and we proceeded to their refund.

We made some passings more without result and at the ten of the tomorrow we returned to the Complex because the sun was already very strong, us we accommodate to the shade of the trees and while we ate one itched with something fresh, Federico roasted some chickens for the lunch.

The Complex, but the quincho is still building it was already almost clever (up-to-date of today it should be ended), the grove is spectacular, trees very añosos and a fresh shade for the lunch, past the noon we gave bill of the chickens with a good salad and very cold beer and we went to rest until the sun doesn't punish so much.

At five in the afternoon we returned to the River, now with the intention of fishing some you sail, we were river up about ten minutes and we arrive to a boguero that was surrendering well, we use spinning canes, baitcasting reels, and we embody with grains of corn, in little while fish a good quantity of size vogues medium, without surprises that were returned to the water.

At sunset again we attempt with the gildings and/or surubíes, we made several passings without you itch, we saw to the surubí lean out to the surface but in any moment they took the baits, we decide non porfiar and we undertook the return, to few meters of the Complex we saw a sector with activity and we throw the baits again, Patricia had an I/you/he/she itches of golden, he/she gave a great jump...... but it loosed the bait, it had not swallowed well.

Really a good day of fishing, with good captures and the amusement of the fishing of vogues, when it lowers the temperature a little, one will be able to fish the whole day, for what we saw, the fishing is very promising.

Thanks to Santiago, Federico and all the members of "Port Paradise Itatí"

[Edited at 2005-03-06 19:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 19:24
Catalan to English
+ ...
Sounds fine to me, Robert..... Mar 6, 2005

....but perhaps I haven't "swallowed well".

Andy

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
It is a good example, indeed. Mar 6, 2005

I have seen much worser ones

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Good example of human translation Mar 6, 2005

Recently we got an instruction for bread baking machine, translated from German into Polish.
The translation was of very poor quality, however surely written by a human.
What made us laugh, was the translation of "sunflower seeds", which read "sunflower testicles".
The sunflower must have been a very hard guy...

Cheers
Jerzy

tinageta  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sometimes human translations are worse :) Mar 7, 2005

A few days ago a friend of mine asked me to find a native English proofreader/editor for a text that was translated by their in-house translator (from Latvian into English). So I sent the document to a British colleague but he returned it to me saying (and right he was) that he will not edit for the offered fee (per word), as it was too... erm... difficult a job. So I spent my weekend transforming "so called" English into "comprehensible English", and worse than that, I did not even have the original source text. It was a chest of treasures, but the most beautiful diamond was the following:

Odorous trees for fumigation – with fresh greenery aroma. Usage: the odorous tree shall be fixed in handhold and set on fire.
LMAO.

Melina Kajander
English to Finnish
Some other hilarious examples... Mar 12, 2005

I must say some of the most hilarious translations (they MUST be machine translations) I've come across at a natural cosmetics website (no names here, of course), from German to English - see for yourself:

A natural hair-washing powder (below "**") is referred to as "hair laundry". And what's more:

** has many advantages:
** is absolutely attraction-free and very strike compatible.
** cleans hair and skin, without leaching out the natural protective layer.
With ** washed hair becomes silk-softly, shining and supple
With ** washed hair must be washed in the long term more rarely.
** is absolutely environmentalcompatible, because it contains no Tenside and nothing that could load the waste water.

(Especially that "absolutely attraction-free" had me in stitches... And "strike-compatible"? Can also be used in case of a strike..?)

More, on a plant-based hair colorant:

Extension colorings **** plant hair colors color long continuously. That means that after an until two months an easy
extension in the nature hair color becomes visible. The contrast between after growth and colored hair is however
more clearly discreeter than in chemically colored hair. Through the new formulation as pliant, tropfende cream is not it
now also very simply possible, solely the hair extension nachzufärben.

I think this is about root re-growth, not hair extensions...

(Anyone knowing German will surely appreciate the humour even more...)

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
MT on fishing text May 15, 2005

Robert INGLEDEW wrote:

I recently posted this article (the author recognized it is a machine translation, done with Power Translation), that has interesting information on dorado fishing in Argentina. You can look it in in my forums on Latin America. But I paste it here to show the poor quality of machine translation:

"Port Paradise Itatí"

A good season beginning

By: Hugo Gallo ....

It is not Power Translation, but rather Power Translator which was created by Globalink and then sold to Lernout & Hauspie in around 1998. Due to problems with Lernout & Hauspie in 2000/2001, I believe it is LEC that uses this translation engine.

This kind of translated text can be improved significantly in very little time in creating a user dictionary. I run projects on machine translation dictionary building all the time, and provide the productivity results in articles and conference papers. I have also given conference tutorials on MT dictionary building which are independent of the software program/system that is used.

I've just recently finished a project on marketing press release materials with very carefully logged statistics which show that well-designed and implemented MT dictionary building can be a very efficient process. A published article or conference presentation on this project will follow.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
example of human translation worse that MT May 15, 2005

tinageta wrote:

A few days ago a friend of mine asked me to find a native English proofreader/editor for a text that was translated by their in-house translator (from Latvian into English). So I sent the document to a British colleague but he returned it to me saying (and right he was) that he will not edit for the offered fee (per word), as it was too... erm... difficult a job. So I spent my weekend transforming "so called" English into "comprehensible English", and worse than that, I did not even have the original source text. It was a chest of treasures, but the most beautiful diamond was the following:

Odorous trees for fumigation – with fresh greenery aroma. Usage: the odorous tree shall be fixed in handhold and set on fire.
LMAO.

I fully agree. We were on a trip last weekend and stopped at restaurant that provided a kid's menu with a toy. The information on box of the little toy was written in English, well if you want to call it that. Here are some examples:

=======
LED lights contains color matrix effect
32 different flashing colorful patterns
The coolbreeze turn on
Just press the button the show and the fan beginning

The custodian must be read it as follow
Forbidden small parts leaded into the mouth, so as to lead to stifle.
Not play under 3years children, so as to eat it.
Forbidden use changeable battery.
Do not use new batteries and old noes at the same time.
When you use batteries,please correct anode and negative pole.
After play, please turn off and take out the batteries.
No shut battery,resolve or throw into the fire.

pay attention for bidden finger.
hair and clothes insert moving parts.
finger do not insert moving parts gop to so as to lead to danger.
Do not cover hear and fance with plastibag so as to lead to stifle.

=======

I typed the text "exactly" as it appears on the box.

1. This product is so called CE certified.
2. This cannot be the result of machine translation (MT). MT doesn't invent spelling mistakes, completely wrong time/aspect/mood conjugations, missing spaces, and words that would never be part of that context at all.
MT dictionaries and rules provide accurate translation of what is in them. The reason for a lot of laughs at MT texts is that it either does not have the technical term in the dictionary and so translated word-by-word, or it keeps the word in the source language format within the target language text.

It is obvious to me that the text above is the result of a human translator sitting with a dictionary translating word by word from the source language into English. No proofreading was performed on the target translated text.

Well, my son did something that made the fan not work. Even after turning the button off, the batteries kept providing energy to the fan, so the toy heated within an hour to the point that the batteries were leaking within the battery compartment. We threw the toy away that evening, but I kept the box for this gem of a example of human translation that can be worse than MT.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/

Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting indeed... May 15, 2005

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Robert

cendrine marrouat
English to French
+ ...
Oh well, it happens on cereal boxes translated into French in Canada... May 16, 2005

Hi all!
That kind of things happen all the time on cereal boxes in Canada. The translators obviously don't know what they are doing...
Can I use your testimonies ans send them to my last client who told me I was a joke of a translator (my best friend who is also an excellent translator laughed a lot when she read it)? Just kidding!
Thanks a lot for sharing that with us...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A good example of machine translation

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs