Mobile menu

Off topic: The "Nigerian Scam" is invading Proz
Thread poster: swisstell

Local time: 04:47
German to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2005

Just in case there are colleagues out there who never heard of this scam, here is how you might be approached (as I just have been):

"Dr. Umua Ibe, Principal Accountant
Federal Ministry of Aviation

Dear SwissTell
I hope this mail will reach you in the best of health and business conditions and receive the most desired attention from you even as we have not had any previous correspondence before. I am constrained by insufficient information about you to express in full the main objectives of this proposal. However, kindly get back to me immediately for details should be given you if you agree to its content.

My colleagues and I would like to solicit your kindness in assisting us to execute the transfer of some fund from our country to your country for safe keeping. The total amount of fund is $23.8 million. The source of this fund will be disclosed to you as soon as your positive respoonse is received to this effect.

I am a principal accountant to the Nigerian Ministry of Aviation, and the Chairman to the Federal Tenders' Board in charge of contract award and monitgoring in Nigeria. Basically, you would be required to nominate a suitable bank account that will conveniently accommodate the total fund. Account could be a fresh ior an already existing one, and could be individual or corporate account.

On completion of the transaction, you shall have a benefit of 30% of the fund for your envisaged efforts and assistance rendered. 10% shall be used to settle any expenses both you and I shall make at the course of this transaction. Details of this proposal will be sent to you as soon as your response is received.

This proposal is strictly confidential, free from any form of risk and does not depend on any particular field of trade to prosecute. It however requires your adequate participation and support to enable its accomplishment on schedule. - Thanks in anticipation. Best regards Dr. Umua Ibe."

I may have been singled out because of the false assumption of my disposing of Swiss Bank accounts, given my SwissTell name. It is however widely known that those falling into the trap of such "easy money" will be lured into divulging their bank account details, in Switzerland or anywhere else for that matter. Before they know it, their bank accounts are soaked dry.

The scheme is really so transparent that an alert may not be required among Prozians. Nevertheless, it is a fact that a number of average intelligent people have fallen for it.

Happy Easter to all!

Direct link
xxxMamie  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:47
French to Spanish
+ ...
Moi aussi! Mar 26, 2005

Il y a environ 1 mois j'ai reçu 2 courrier de ce style mais en français.
L'un venait de la veuve de je ne sais plus quel président africain assassiné, l'autre des héritiers d'un grand personnage somali, je crois.
Je n'ai répondu ni à l'un ni à l'autre. Mais on dirait que la fièvre continue.Que faire?

Direct link
moya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:47
French to English
+ ...
I receive these at least about 10x a week Mar 26, 2005

I have been receiving these for the last 7-8 months, at least 10 of them a week. I just put these straigth in the bin.
I just wonder how they get people's email address so easily.

Direct link

Local time: 04:47
German to English
+ ...
My Profile settings are to allow Proz members only to send me mail Mar 26, 2005

and yet this scam reached me. This would suggest that "Dr. U"
is a Proz member, probably with the only purpose of thus reaching possible victims.

Direct link

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes, it WAS a ProZ member Mar 26, 2005

His profile has been removed.

I'm going to close this thread to avoid double posting about the same scam sender.

Please, see

Thanks for your understanding

SwissTell wrote:
and yet this scam reached me. This would suggest that "Dr. U"
is a Proz member, probably with the only purpose of thus reaching possible victims.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The "Nigerian Scam" is invading Proz

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs