Off topic: make poverty history
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2005

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY launches its global 'Click' campaign.

Today in London and across the globe Make Poverty History launched the 'Click' ad. The advert uses a number of instantly recognisable celebrities from Brad Pitt to Cameron Diaz, Colin Firth to Emma Thompson, Kylie to P Diddy (to name but a few) who, click their fingers every 3 seconds. Each click symbolises the death of a child. Across the developing world, one child dies every three seconds from extreme poverty.

With German, Canadian and other G8 coalitions developing their own versions of the 'Click' ad, the Make Poverty History campaign is building mass public support to challenge both the UK and other G8 governments to drop the debt, make trade just and give more and better aid to developing countries.

Over the coming months, millions of people will see and hear the 'Click' ad in cinemas, at concerts, on the radio and online.

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/index.html

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMichaelRS
Huh Apr 2, 2005

I don't think Brad Pitt and P. Diddy are clicking their fingers every 3 seconds, except when they are on camera.

[Edited at 2005-06-10 17:36]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Reminder Apr 2, 2005

Possible Off-topic Exceptions

Exceptions may be made in which postings outside of ProZ.com's scope are allowed, but only on the condition that no part of the content could be considered by any reasonable person to be objectionable or even controversial.
http://www.proz.com/?sp=scope

Claudia

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
poverty isn't a political issue Apr 2, 2005

M42 wrote:

Certainly no one can be against efforts against poverty. Lyndon Johnson also led a "war against poverty".

I'm not going to address the issues in this post - other than to say that I'm quite sure that Brad Pitt and P. Diddy are not clicking their fingers every 3 seconds, except when they are on camera, as if that would cure poverty anyway - but I resent political beliefs being presented here. These aren't the boards for it.

The whole point of the campaign is to raise awareness of the issue of poverty as the number one cause of death in the less-developed world.

In reply to your comments:

That is why famous figures are being used for the campaign, although I would be equally as disparaging as you about their real committment...

I can't see that poverty is a political issue that should not be raised here, no more than the tsunami issue was recently.

[Edited at 2005-04-02 12:13]

Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I really appreciated the posting... Apr 2, 2005

Hello,

The posting was in no way political (except if it is taken in the widest sense of the word, which I do not think is the one used in this website), and I really appreciated its publication: due to lack of time I am not as up-to-date as I would wish in a lot of efforts I would like to participate in, so it was really useful to me. It was marked "off-topic", so I can not see the problem here.

Analysis on the appropriateness of using famous people, etc. etc. would take too long...

Best,

Mar

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks, Ailish Apr 2, 2005

Ailish Maher wrote:

I can't see that poverty is a political issue that should not be raised here, no more than the tsunami issue was recently.

I fully agree with you. Thinking of poverty as a mere political issue and not thinking of the millions of actual human beings behind the figures is part of the reasoning behind this problem, one that should be everyone's concern.

Cheers,
Atenea

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not censorship but a sensible remainder Apr 3, 2005

Ailish Maher wrote:

Please note that Claudia did not hid the posting at all. She is just reminding all potential posters what rules apply to off-topic postings.

Forum veterans know that there are very worthy issues such as poverty and freedom that can easily lead to problematic discussions, and even to flame wars.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, atenea:-) Apr 3, 2005

Atenea Acevedo wrote:

Ailish Maher wrote:

I fully agree with you. Thinking of poverty as a mere political issue and not thinking of the millions of actual human beings behind the figures is part of the reasoning behind this problem, one that should be everyone's concern.

Cheers,
Atenea

This is a quote from the home page of the site:

Every single day, 30,000 children are dying as a result
of extreme poverty.

This year, 2005, we finally have the resources, knowledge and opportunity to end this shameful situation.

That's what this website is about. Join the band of people who are taking action to make poverty history. It only needs to take you a matter of minutes every month, but it will help us to literally change the world.

If this is your first visit to the site these are the 3 things you should do – join us now, get a white band & find out more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

make poverty history

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs