Thread poster: Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:44
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2005

This is a book review, published in The Guardian (UK). Not only is it a wonderful book, but the reviewer gives the translator the credit he deserves:

Popular Music, by Mikael Niemi, translated by Laurie Thompson (Harper Perennial, £7.99)

Niemi's coming-of-age story in remote northern Sweden is a pure, exhilarating delight, not least in its blend of surreal whimsy couched in gruff understatement. Take the praise eventually meted out to Matti and friends, founders of th
... See more
This is a book review, published in The Guardian (UK). Not only is it a wonderful book, but the reviewer gives the translator the credit he deserves:

Popular Music, by Mikael Niemi, translated by Laurie Thompson (Harper Perennial, £7.99)

Niemi's coming-of-age story in remote northern Sweden is a pure, exhilarating delight, not least in its blend of surreal whimsy couched in gruff understatement. Take the praise eventually meted out to Matti and friends, founders of the first rock'n'roll band in their neck of the Arctic: "You weren't too bad, really." To reach this apogee they must first snip the tails of hordes of decaying mice and have their virginity plucked by Red Youth harpies. The residents of Matti's native Pajala are a people of potato noses, red-cabbage ears and turnip-heads, who believe electricity and welfare to be the preserve of the unmanly. A description of the English crooned in the band's cover versions ("A language for idlers, grass-eaters, couch potatoes, so lacking in resilience that their tongues slop around their mouths like sliced-off foreskins") is a reminder that Laurie Thompson's translation makes this a double feat of brilliance.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The movie is also excellent Apr 9, 2005

I first read the novel, in Finnish, and was skeptic about the possibility, that the movie version would be anything than a disappointment. But I was wrong. I don't know of any other novel that has been turned into a movie as fortunately as this one. The director is Reza Bagher.
The scene where the boys hear the first time "Rock'n Roll Music" is perhaps one of the most hilarious moments ever in any movie so far.

[Edited at 2005-04-09 01:47]

[Edited at 2005-04-09
... See more
I first read the novel, in Finnish, and was skeptic about the possibility, that the movie version would be anything than a disappointment. But I was wrong. I don't know of any other novel that has been turned into a movie as fortunately as this one. The director is Reza Bagher.
The scene where the boys hear the first time "Rock'n Roll Music" is perhaps one of the most hilarious moments ever in any movie so far.

[Edited at 2005-04-09 01:47]

[Edited at 2005-04-09 09:51]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How often do you see this?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »