NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 18:38
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2005

Hello everyone,
We have here in North America something called Reverse Lookup, where you can type in a phone number and discover to whom it belongs.
I would like to do this with a foreign number. Alas, I don't even know the originating country. I have the number on my call display and am dancing with curiosity. Would someone in our great group know where I can start with this investigation?
Many thanks!
Nancy

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
Is the country prefix/area code displayed? Apr 11, 2005

If the country prefix is displayed, you can then use that to determine the originating country. Try googling the entire number (with/without country code) to see what comes up.

I've discovered in calling back and forth between the US and Canada, sometimes the whole number is displayed, sometimes not. Sometimes even a different originating number is displayed. My daughter reported the other day that a call I made to her cell phone from Michigan showed a Montreal area code and an entirely different number; I assume that this was due to some sort of carrier service shift.

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
start with country Apr 11, 2005

Hi,

You got an international phone number on your caller ID? Wow. I'm a little surprised that it's possible.

I suppose the first step would be to identify the country. The first two or three digits are likely to be the country code, unless it was omitted. If the country code was omitted, then you may need other information to figure out the country. The web page where you do reverse number lookup likely also has a list of country codes. 33 is France and 32 is Belgium.

With the country I would look for the web page of a telecom providor in that country (e.g. France Telecom, Belgacom) and try to find a reverse number look up on their site.

Good luck!
Bruce

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was surprised, too Apr 11, 2005

But every single phone number in North America consists of 7 digits + 1 + a 3 digit area code. This number starts with 1, followed by 9 digits.
I looked in the Bell Canada Directory, the beginning pages where they describe the international codes. I knew of course about 33 and 44; I also knew that 852 is Hong Kong, which is what I assumed first, but the numbers are actually 582, which could be 58 or 582, right?
Google had nothing.

Nancy

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:38
French to English
Venezuela? Apr 11, 2005

+58 is Venezuela, 2 is Caracas

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Charlie: that's it Apr 11, 2005

I found www.countrycallingcodes.com/Reverse-Lookup.php?calling-code=58 and since there was a code for 58 but not for 582, I came to the same conclusion as you.
Now to find reverse lookup for Venezuela!
Thanks very much to all for your ideas.

Nancy

[Edited at 2005-04-11 16:15]

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
There are not ambiguous Apr 11, 2005

NancyLynn wrote:

I found www.countrycallingcodes.com/Reverse-Lookup.php?calling-code=58 and since there was a code for 58 but not for 582, I came to the same conclusion as you.

Nancy

[Edited at 2005-04-11 16:15]

Since there is a 58, there is not likely to be a 582. This system uses a type of code that uses fewer digits for frequently used numbers. If the longer sequences shared their earlier digits with a different country code, there would be an ambiguity that would make it inefficient to decode.
FYI.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Caracas is 212 Apr 12, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

+58 is Venezuela, 2 is Caracas

+ 58 is Venezuela, but Caracas is 212.

Regards,

Clarisa

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:38
French to English
google the phone number Apr 12, 2005

Now you know which bit is the country code, leave that bit off and google the rest.

If it's a business with its phone number on a web page somewhere, google'll find it.

(you *may* need to try various 'layouts', not sure how Venezuelans format their phone numbers)

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Googling doesn't produce the result I seek Apr 12, 2005

probably because the number is 5827XXXXX.

I think there are not enough digits.

What a mystery!

Nancy

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Romania
Local time: 01:38
English to Danish
Venezuela yellow/white pages Apr 12, 2005

NancyLynn wrote:
Nancy

http://www.laguia.com.ve/

Oh, wait. That doesn't do reverse lookup. Sorry.

[Edited at 2005-04-12 16:59]

[Edited at 2005-04-12 16:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to determine the origin of a phone call using the number

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs