Mobile menu

Off topic: How's it going there where you live?
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
English to Croatian
+ ...
Apr 18, 2005

Dear colleagues,

Working on, through and with the help of the Internet, there is not a day going by without me feeling more and more that any place in the world might be my home... Each day I am faced with people considering to relocate, which is something I have thought about myself... So, here I am, living in Zagreb, Croatia, wanting to ask all of you this:

** If you had to sum up in a couple of words/lines/paragraphs what your city/town/village is really about, what would you say? I am so eager to read your marketing (or anti-marketing) masterpieces!

As for Zagreb, I can say — you have to love it first for it to love you back, but when you achieve that, it will welcome you forever... Have I loved it enough? Well...

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Life in Medenscheid... Apr 18, 2005

Today the sun rose glowing red over the hills to the east of the Rhine, fighting its way through the mist creeping around the ruined castles. I put the lead on the dog and walked out of our village perched on top of its rocky outcrop to the meadowed promentory overlooking the vineyards and the Rhine. The air still has that springtime spice about it - the smell of everything turning green again after the long winter. From the promentory I watched the boats moving slowly up and down the river when all of a sudden the morning quiet was broken by a train on the tracks below sounding its horn as it entered the tunnel. The dew on the grass soaked my boots and the bottom of my trouser legs as I walked back along the path into the village. Chickens to feed, children to get up and dressed and sent off to school, and a 10-pager to finish by this evening.

I wouldn't swap it for anything.

Alessandro Cattelan
English to Italian
+ ...
depressing Apr 18, 2005

Seadeta Osmani wrote:
** If you had to sum up in a couple of words/lines/paragraphs what your city/town/village is really about, what would you say? I am so eager to read your marketing (or anti-marketing) masterpieces!

One word is enough: depressing.

The town where I live (Pordenone, Italy, some 100km northeast of Venice) is just depressing.

I would go anywhere else. I lived for almost one year in Valencia and that was amazing. I'm just looking forward to going back there as soon as I can.

But for now, I have to stay here, at least for a couple of years.

Local time: 10:45
English to French
+ ...
Peace and quiet Apr 18, 2005

After 7 years in Paris, France, I couldn't stand the noise, the crowds and generally speaking, the big city any longer.

All I can hear at my house in St Louis is the squirrels running up and down the oaks or whistling to get my attention. I am never going back to a big city!

Parrot  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Madrid Apr 19, 2005

None of us were born here and all of us are from here.

(I think that was the Mayor's slogan. Statistically, he's just about right 90% of the time. Not even he was born here).

This is probably best-expressed by the city monument (well, not the bear-and-tree logo, but) Cybele, the Earth-mother. She glomphs you in adoption, greets you as you come in and - like the people - never says goodbye, just "see you later".

It's not a megacity like others I've known and lived in (8 million plus), but 4.5 million seems a good scale: no one is a stranger and people still greet each other.

My land at night is lit by hopes,
wishes you welcome, and no one is a foreigner
My land belongs to whoever wants to run along its slopes.

-- Roberto Menéndez

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:15
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Ahmedabad, India Apr 19, 2005

The bustling commercial capital of Gujarat is known for its suave businessmen, dusty-streets and soaring temperatures (right now the temperatures hover around 40 degrees Celsius during the day and threaten to rise further in the coming days).

It's fun living here, I have doing so for the past 20 years, though I hail originally from Kerala, another Indian state, which is 2,000 km from here, but then I have been relocated several times in my life.

I have no complaints with Ahmedabad.

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Like sarahl, peace and quite.... Apr 19, 2005

I like being on the countryside, listening to the birds, watchings the rabbits and the dears out of my window....
But the best thing is, I just have to hop in the car and I am in a crazy city like Vienna.
I have grown up in the Paris Surburb and I wouldn't come back to Paris for anything in the world.

Austria is a wonderful leat for me!

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:45
German to English
+ ...
Nice one Apr 19, 2005

Pretty grey morning here in South East England until reading Alison's contribution made my day.

It was lovely - thanks, Als

If you're not careful you could end up with a colony of itinerant "new age traveller" translators parked in your village and stealing your chickens.

I'm tempted to move (not to steal your chickens), but I'd have to change my name to Örwin, being fed up with people calling me Earfin or Errwein in German. I'd also have to change the name of your village, so the old folks back home don't laugh at my new address.

Have a nice one

Chris Irwin

[Edited at 2005-04-19 07:33]

Mark Xiang
Local time: 01:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Guangzhou (Formerly called Canton) Apr 19, 2005

Third Largest City in China
A Metropolitan in Southern China
Subtropical Climate
With White Cloud Mountain in the North
Pearl River Passing through the CBD
South China Sea to the South
AND A Population of More than 10 Million

Crowded with Vogor, Hope, promise and Strong Trend of Economic Growth, AND whatever a Metropolitan ALL HAS AND SHOULD HAVE.

I have stayed here in Guangzhou for over 15 years, and will remain staying here, maybe, for the rest of my life. ^_^

Guangzhou is the capital and a political, economic, scientific and technological, educational and cultural center of Guangdong Province. It is located in the southeast of Guangdong Province and in the north of the Pearl River Delta. It is located between longitude 112?east and latitude 22?north, bordering on the South China Sea, adjacent to Hong Kong and Macao. It is a regional central city in South China, a communication and telecom hub, and China’s “Southern Gateway?to the world.

[Edited at 2005-04-21 02:53]

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
depressing Apr 19, 2005

I live in Milan which is depressing, ugly, expensive and dirty.
I returned here (where I was born) almost 3 years ago, after living in Jerusalem, which was not depressing but difficult from other points of view.
I would like to run away from here. The problem is that it took time to my kids (triplets aged 6) to adjust and I don't feel I can ask from them to re-adjust to another place in the near future.

Italy is in a big crisis from many points of view and raising kids here is not easy.

Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Castellón de la Plana Apr 19, 2005

190.000 inhabitants - Facing the Mediterranean, 50 minutes North from Valencia.

A city growing very quickly, capital of the province, but still a town-in-spirit. People greet each other.

Mountains are not far, and the sea is beautiful.

Today the sun is shining, and spring seems to have come at last. We had a rather long winter, alas!

I love the sun in the afternoon.

It is good to live here. I would not got anywhere else. I am Italian but I live here since I was a child, and I feel half-Spaniard now. Or Valencian. Or Catalan. I love Spain because it is "plural", as its Constitution says

Local time: 20:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Moscow Apr 19, 2005

beautiful, vast, very dynamic and energetic, fast-growing, and presenting hUge opportunities to those willing to grasp them

Federica D'Alessio
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Roma=amoR Apr 20, 2005

I've been living in Rome for one year and a half, and I can't avoid open wide eyes and feel like a tourist every time I'm in the center. Roma is romantic and bright, chaotic but also charming in its creative chaos.

Yes it is really amazing, not depressing at all and I feel quite obliged to say that as my two Italian colleagues have used the same word to describe their cities in Italy, actually I think this word is appropriate to define Northern Italy cities (but not Genova!!). I lived in Bologna many years, and find it sad and Roma people don't just greet each other, they start conversations about everything, laugh or loud each other very easily. It can be astonishing if you're not used to, but it makes you feel like inside an eternal theatre.

I've also lived in Valencia for many years and probably will come back in future: I consider Spain as the most interesting European country at the moment. Great times I spent them, and I felt like surrounded by a kind of surrealistic atmosphere that made everything special and unforgettable, people and places, never felt a stranger it's true, while sometimes I felt a stranger in Bologna, which is part of my same country.

So I think that if you really feel like a bird, every place can be good, but the next one will always seem better!!

[Edited at 2005-04-20 11:09]

[Edited at 2005-04-20 11:09]

Alessandro Cattelan
English to Italian
+ ...
depressed Apr 20, 2005

Federica D'Alessio wrote:
Yes it is really amazing, not depressing at all and I feel quite obliged to say that as my two Italian colleagues have used the same word to describe their cities in Italy, actually I think this word is appropriate to define Northern Italy cities (but not Genova!!).

Absolutely correct!

Northern Italy in general is depressing and especially the northeast of the country.

I lived in Valencia too, for a year, and that's where I want to go as soon as I can. Living there was really great. Something like southern Italy, but with more job opportunities and fewer problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How's it going there where you live?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs