Mobile menu

Off topic: Japanese Akita Pup's name (any ideas?)
Thread poster: Ana Brause

Ana Brause  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 19, 2005

Estimados colegas, acabo de comprar un cachorro macho Akita de línea japonesa color sésamo con patas blancas, tiene 40 días, todavía está con su mamá. Me gustaría ver qué nombre me sugieren para este personaje, maybe something in Japanese, nice and short...
Se agradecen sugerencias... ya les mostraré la foto.
Gracias a todos y perdón por distraerlos de su trabajo.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:12
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Ana... Apr 19, 2005

I would have moved your post to the Spanish forum because it's in Spanish, but as you're asking for Japanese names it'd better stay here. Can you explain in English (or Japanese) what you want?
You'll get more help this way

Claudia (Off topic English forum mod)

[Edited at 2005-04-19 14:42]

Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Claudia... Apr 19, 2005

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well, I was asking my colleague translators (specially the ones who know some Japanese language) to suggest an appropriate name for the pup. Something nice and short, two syllables will be the ideal and with the corresponding translation into Spanish or English.
Thanks to everyone in advance...)

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
A few suggestions Apr 19, 2005

Going with two syllables, and on the Akita theme:

sugi - A type of tree. Akita has its own Akita-sugi
oga - A nice peninsula in Akita
namahage - This is a local Akita character http://travel.japan-tohoku.com/photo/OGA_41.jpg This word is four syllables, and since you might abbreviate it to the first or last two, bear in mind that each has its own meanings (among them, nama = raw/draft (as in beer), hage = bald) Only use this name if the puppy has the right personality!

Also, the word sesamo in your Spanish post (which I am guessing means sesame), gave me the idea "goma" for sesame (sorry if there are other Spanish meanings for this or any of the above.)

Here is more about Akita: http://www.pref.akita.jp/e/

Looking forward to the picture!

xxxsarahl
Local time: 22:12
English to French
+ ...
male or female? Apr 19, 2005

what color is the pup? is it cheerful, playful, quiet?
tell us more!

Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More about my pup.. Apr 19, 2005

It's a male pup, sesame coat, very cheerful, face round as a full moon (so sweet), dark eyes and nose, white front paws and chest.. he looks like a bear. I wonder how you say "bear" in Japanese? Well, I hope I'm being descriptive this time... thanks to all.

xxxMamie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:12
French to Spanish
+ ...
¿Que tal "Yuki"? Apr 20, 2005

Supongo que todos conoceis los dibujos animados de Yuki y Nuka los ositos. ¿Hay algo mas tierno?

Suerte!

Mamie

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Do you remember the most famous Akita of all? Apr 20, 2005

Dare I suggest the name of the most famous Akita, whose statue adorns the plaza at Shibuya station where people arrange to meet?

The dog's name is Hachiko (long o). The story, true I'm told, is that he would go to Shibuya station to meet his master every day as he returned from work on the train. One day, his master died and didn't come home. Hachiko kept going to the station and waiting every day. The station crew would feed him and otherwise take care of him, until, eventually, he too passed away. Known as chuken (long u) Hachiko (Hachiko the faithful dog), he is loved through his story and his statue.

xxxsarahl
English to French
+ ...
kuma Apr 20, 2005

means bear in Japanese.
how about egao for smiling face?
or tanoshi for fun?

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few ideas Apr 20, 2005

Sushi
Kirin
Tempora
Saki
Sashimi
Sayonara
Mishimishi
Genki
Kanji
Kamikaze

I do not claim to be an expert in the Japanese language but you may find some of the above rather catchy.

Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... I thought about "Hachiko" Apr 20, 2005

Can Altinbay wrote:

Dare I suggest the name of the most famous Akita, whose statue adorns the plaza at Shibuya station where people arrange to meet?

The dog's name is Hachiko (long o). The story, true I'm told, is that he would go to Shibuya station to meet his master every day as he returned from work on the train. One day, his master died and didn't come home. Hachiko kept going to the station and waiting every day. The station crew would feed him and otherwise take care of him, until, eventually, he too passed away. Known as chuken (long u) Hachiko (Hachiko the faithful dog), he is loved through his story and his statue.

I read about Hachiko's story and seen the statue. Its a really amazing story of loyalty, the dog waited for his owner at the station for almost 10 years and died there. I told the story to my girls (they are 6 and 11 years old), they were really touched by the story. But perhaps half of the worlds Akitas are called Hachiko, perhaps its a name like Laika (the astronaut dog). Thats why I'm not sure... perhaps Chiko (as a short form of Hachiko)?
Thanks for your suggestionD

Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll ask my girls if they know Yuki and Nuka.. Apr 20, 2005

Mamie wrote:

Supongo que todos conoceis los dibujos animados de Yuki y Nuka los ositos. ¿Hay algo mas tierno?

Suerte!

Mamie

Yuki sounds so cute! I'm sure my girls will love that name. I will ask them if they know that cartoon (is it a cartoon or a story?). Thing is that opinions are divided here... apart from my two girls (6 and 11), I have two teenager boys (in their outburst of hormones) that have been saying "NO" to cute names. Well, if you have kids, then you can imagine the situation. I guess that in the end we will have to vote. I'm sure that Yuki will be on that list! Thanks Mamie

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Yuki or Yuuki? Apr 20, 2005

Ana Brause wrote:

Mamie wrote:

Suerte!

Mamie

Yuki sounds so cute! I'm sure my girls will love that name. I will ask them if they know that cartoon (is it a cartoon or a story?). Thing is that opinions are divided here... apart from my two girls (6 and 11), I have two teenager boys (in their outburst of hormones) that have been saying "NO" to cute names. Well, if you have kids, then you can imagine the situation. I guess that in the end we will have to vote. I'm sure that Yuki will be on that list! Thanks Mamie

Yuki, meaning snow, is a beautiful name and quite fit for original Akitas, which are white. I'm not sure I would go for that for a male. Yuuki means bravery and might even please your boys. In fact, I'm getting to like it already.

xxxsarahl
English to French
+ ...
kintaro Apr 20, 2005

or momotaro should appeal to your boys

Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions.. Apr 21, 2005

sarahl wrote:

means bear in Japanese.
how about egao for smiling face?
or tanoshi for fun?

I like Kuma too, although it might be a bit misleading, keep in mind that I live in a spanish speaking country. People asume that if the word ends with an "A" its a female.. Pity, cos Kuma sounds great. I wonder if its a suitable name for a female pup. I've seen a lot of pictures of white Akitas, and perhaps in a year or so I will be buying a female (and I am aiming for a white coated one). Thanks Sarah.
By the way, I will have the pup at home probably by the weekend.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese Akita Pup's name (any ideas?)

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs