Mobile menu

a question directed to people working with the Japanese language
Thread poster: B-laselve
B-laselve
Local time: 02:54
English
Apr 20, 2005

Hello
I am not sure the "off-topic" forum is the best choice to post this, but couldn't find a place that seemed to fit the subject any better...
I am a French senior working on an essay for the business department of the University of Radford (Vir), and I am trying to gather information concerning the market for translation from and into Japanese. Several translators working with the Japanese language have told me that they felt like the demand dramatically increased these past months. Would you please tell me if you have the same feeling, and in what fields are these translations usually required? Do you have any idea why Japanese seems to be higly sought after these days?
I thank you very much for your precious help, I have difficulties finding sources and this is starting to be a little urgent for me, so any information will be more than welcome!
Best regards
Bérénice

[Edited at 2005-04-20 15:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Not too much, but... Apr 23, 2005

Hello,Bérénice.
To tell you the truth, I don't have any statistical information concerning the translation market; at least here, in Japan, where I live and work part-time as a freelancer. All I can say is that, from what I've read yes, the demand for what they call here "industrial" translations has been increasing continually for some years, and it is expected to keep growing. I think it all has to do with business. In what they call "Industrial" translations are included technical, medical, pharmaceutical, legal, etc. (documents, manuals, patents, also biotech and so on). Just to mention it, among the other translation fields here are "Movies", "Books (novels, fiction and non-fiction)" and others I don't remember well. In a word, translations that help industry and business keep going on have the highest demand, as far as I've read.
I'm sorry I can't help more; just wanted to give you an idea. Good luck!

B-laselve
English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Momoka Apr 23, 2005

Thank you for your precisions, Momoka. It was also my understanding that Japanese companies tended to do more and more business with foreign partners, I'm glad you could confirm this... I heard the fields in which translations were the most often required were pharmaceutical patents and everything ICT-related. Were your jobs often related to these areas?

thanks again

Bérénice

Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
It seems that... Apr 25, 2005

Yes, it seems pharmaceutical patents and ICT-related document translations have a lot of demand, and that for ICTs is expected to grow even more because of all the recent advances in telecomunication technologies. I found that also translations of technical manuals, contracts, etc., have always been a main interest of manufacturers and business.
On the other hand, I do translations only into Spanish, my mother tongue; so far I've worked mainly on ICT related documents, having done some translations on educational subjects and conferences. That's all. All I know about the translation business here I've read here and there. Translations between English and Japanese are so popular that some agencies work only with those two languages, and job postings for translators specify the language only when it is other than English. I saw in a book the demand for English translations ranges between 80 and 90% of the total, being the rest for "other languages".
At least in my experience, most agencies are looking for people that can translate from Spanish into Japanese; the other way is rather rare. I don't know how it is when it comes to English.
I've taken some minutes to search for more information on Japanese websites, but found nothing that could give a general view of the situation; only dispersed information here and there. Anyway, if there's anything else you think I could be of any help with, just let me know.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-04-25 02:36]

B-laselve
English
TOPIC STARTER
certified translation in Japan Apr 25, 2005

Hello Momoka

Wow, thank you, that was really helpful! I really appreciate that you'd spare a moment to do some research, that is very kind of you, but I was told several times that there as not been any research done on the market for Japanese translations and that all the data was scattered everywhere.
I contacted once a lady working as a senior editor in a Tokyo company producing a lot of the English and Japanese documents the Jetro uses, in order to ask her if she was a certified translator. Considering her position, I thought she would be, but strangely enough, she told me that she wasn't a certified translator and did not thing there was such a thing as a certificate for translators in Japan, appart from the grade delivered by the Japan Translation Federation for E-J translators. I was a little surprised, because my Japanese teacher (who's French and working in France) is a certified translator, and she told me that some documents such as patterns could not be made official unless the translation job has been made by someone certified. So I expect there is a certification in Japan?

I've got another question for you, if you don't mind me being annoying asking so many things. I heard several times that Japanese was "the most expensive language". Is that true? Some other people think it's Chinese, or Arabic, so before I write anything stupid in my report I would have liked to ask for another opinion...

thanks a lot

Bérénice

PS : Hey it seems that you are located in Japan! Can I ask where?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a question directed to people working with the Japanese language

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs