https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/31678-new_towels_and_fluff.html?

Off topic: New towels and fluff
Thread poster: TRADL
TRADL
TRADL
France
Local time: 17:45
English to French
+ ...
Apr 25, 2005

I'm afraid this is completely off topic and not at all related to translation in any way! I've just bought new towels and washed them straight away. I started using one this morning and it was a complete disaster, fluff all over the bathroom and me! Has anyone got any tips on how to remedy to that? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

TRADL

Robert Donahue (X)
Robert Donahue (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Repeated washing... Apr 25, 2005

Is about the only solution. New towels (and new carpets, as I am currently dealing with) sometimes go through a "molting" process. Three or four washes (follwed by drying) is about the only solution to your problem. Best of luck.

Rob

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
I sympathise Apr 25, 2005

I got given a lovely set of fluffy blue towels for my birthday in November - and i'm still picking bits of fluff off my legs after using them. So I'm not sure just how many washes its going to need....

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
A bizarre Solution Apr 25, 2005

I had that problem and what i did was shave them softly.
It s funny, but worked

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 11:45
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Another possibility Apr 25, 2005

To keep fleece looking new and to prevent pilling, it is suggested that you first wash the items in cold water, alone, with a teaspoon of coarse salt.

I've never tried it on towels, but it works for fleece.

Nancy

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 17:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
here's some info. Apr 26, 2005

I can't vouch for any of this information, but here's what I found:

Q: A VIEWER BOUGHT NEW TOWELS AND THEY'RE SHEDDING. HE WANT TO KNOW IF THERE'S A SUREFIRE WAY TO STOP NEW TOWELS FROM SHEDDING.
A: WE CALLED THE FIELDCREST CANNON TOWEL COMPANY FOR YOUR ANSWER. IT SAYS NEW TOWELS SHED IN TWO WAYS.
SOMETIMES THE FIBERS ACTUALLY COME OFF TOWELS SPREADING LINT TO EVERYTHING AROUND IT. THE LINTING FACTOR SHOULD DIMINISH AFTER 5 WASHINGS. IF THE TOWELS ARE DARK, COLOR MIGRA
... See more
I can't vouch for any of this information, but here's what I found:

Q: A VIEWER BOUGHT NEW TOWELS AND THEY'RE SHEDDING. HE WANT TO KNOW IF THERE'S A SUREFIRE WAY TO STOP NEW TOWELS FROM SHEDDING.
A: WE CALLED THE FIELDCREST CANNON TOWEL COMPANY FOR YOUR ANSWER. IT SAYS NEW TOWELS SHED IN TWO WAYS.
SOMETIMES THE FIBERS ACTUALLY COME OFF TOWELS SPREADING LINT TO EVERYTHING AROUND IT. THE LINTING FACTOR SHOULD DIMINISH AFTER 5 WASHINGS. IF THE TOWELS ARE DARK, COLOR MIGRATION MAY OCCUR AND APPEAR TO BE LINT.
BUT IF YOU'VE WASHED YOUR NEW TOWELS MANY TIMES, THE COMPANY SAYS YOU PROBABLY PURCHASED TOWELS THAT ARE NOT WELL MADE OR DEFECTIVE. PERHAPS YOU CAN ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK.
http://www.nbc4.com/answerstoaskliz2000/1166173/detail.html

The info. below came from a site about using towels on your car, but the tips may be helpful anyway:

Another important factor in breaking in your towels is lint control. When a towel is new, lint occurs as a natural shedding process, much like it does on a newly installed carpet.

Here are seven easy-to-follow tips that will help prevent lint from becoming a problem:

Tip #1: After the first few washings, make sure you fully dry your terry towels. Also, loose lint will be caught in the lint trap, so be sure to clean the lint trap before and after each drying cycle.

Tip #2: Never use bleach. Bleach breaks down the cotton fiber, which begins the deterioration process.

Tip #3: Make sure the washing machine water is free of lint if you are using the same water over again. Better yet, use new water with each load.

Tip #4: After fully drying the towels for the first few washings, try using damp towels when wiping off the cars. Dampness keeps lint from shedding.

Tip #5: Use microfiber or huck/surgical towels for the interiors and windows. These towels are lint free, and should always be washed separately from terry towels.

Tip #6: Consider a water softener, or using other water-conditioning additives, if you are in an area where water is hard. High levels of acid and other minerals may contribute to the deterioration of towels.

Tip #7: Avoid cheap towels. Their life cycle is much shorter than a higher quality towel and will deteriorate and lint more quickly.
http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?indexid=6634060

Good luck
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New towels and fluff

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »