https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/32274-dirty_mindsbe_careful_what_your_kids_watch_on_tv.html

Off topic: Dirty minds...be careful what your kids watch on TV!!
Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2005

Have a look at this:
http://www.rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/rainbow_tv_episode.html

Enjoy,
Grace.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
:) May 12, 2005

Hi Grace,
interesting clip, I had never seen it before. However, I do not think harm was intended in the '70-s or '80-s with this kids show. IMO, it is us, people who have changed and have given new meanings to different words. It is us who have changed and have added new behavior in our life style, which is associated with new meanings of words.
Just an opinion.
Have a lovely day,
Monika

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Have a look at this:
http://www.rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/rainbow_tv_episode.html

Enjoy,
Grace.

[Edited at 2005-05-12 13:54]

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sure! May 12, 2005

Monika Coulson wrote:
I do not think harm was intended in the '70-s or '80-s with this kids show.

I wouldn't have been suspicious at all when I was little.
Although I'm sure (so sure!) that if I show it now to my son (11), without any advance explanation, it will be 30 seconds through, he'll notice the insinuation and he'll start giggling until he rolls on the floor with laughter Kids are terrible nowadays I have to be sooooo careful with what I say!!:lol:

Regards,
Grace.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
not what I heard... May 12, 2005

Monika Coulson wrote:
I do not think harm was intended in the '70-s or '80-s with this kids show.

I heard that this was an episode made for fun by the programme team, and that it was never shown. However, this site doesn't confirm this.

John Bowden
John Bowden  Identity Verified
German to English
It was never broadcast May 12, 2005

This is a well-known spoof - it wasn't a programme intended for broadcast, but was a joke episode made for the cast & crew:

"RUDE RAINBOW?

We're often asked about the so called rude Rainbow, clips of which have been shown on the Channel Four programmes, TV Unzipped and TV Offal. The clip can now be found on the web, without too much effort. Although often introduced as the unaired pilot, this episode was actually specially made by the team at Thames Television. Geoffrey
... See more
This is a well-known spoof - it wasn't a programme intended for broadcast, but was a joke episode made for the cast & crew:

"RUDE RAINBOW?

We're often asked about the so called rude Rainbow, clips of which have been shown on the Channel Four programmes, TV Unzipped and TV Offal. The clip can now be found on the web, without too much effort. Although often introduced as the unaired pilot, this episode was actually specially made by the team at Thames Television. Geoffrey Hayes told us, "The VT department of each ITV company, every Christmas had a competition to enter all the outtakes from their particular companies programme out put, and see which ones were the funniest. But ours wasn’t an outtake, we specially did it. It was specially scripted and we did it and I never saw it! We did it and Thames won it, but what they actually won, I don’t know. But I never saw the video. I can’t remember much about it except for Zippy with a banana." The script was written by the voice of Zippy and George; Roy Skelton. To read the script, click here. "

http://Rainbow.web.com/

There seems to be an obsession on British TV for cheap-to-make collations of outtakes, "bloopers" etc. where Z-list "celebrities" are invited to reminisce about the shows of their childhood - this often features, with the Z-list lot often claiming to have watched it!
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oh! right! May 12, 2005

John Bowden wrote:
This is a well-known spoof - it wasn't a programme intended for broadcaste but was a joke episode made for the cast & crew:

I wasn't little in England and it surprised me it seemed to have been broadcasted.

Then, being adults the ones doing the clip, I wonder HOW they managed to keep so composed! Or maybe it took them ages to do, with all the cuts when they started laughing

[Edited at 2005-05-12 14:15]

[Edited at 2005-05-12 14:17]

Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)
Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hilarious May 12, 2005

Grace, I almost fell off my chair while hearing those dialogues...

Probably it was just for their fun, I wouldn't imagine this show openly broadcasted on TV, not even in the 70's.

Do you imagine if this kind of show would have been broadcasted in our home country? Like in the Carlitos Balá Show??

Thanks for a good laugh.

cello
cello  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ha ha ha May 13, 2005

How did they manage to keep straight faces? That has cheered up my Friday morning no end. Maybe (no, I'm sure) that kids are more sophisticated nowadays...
And what about Captain Pugwash? That show was certainly broadcast on BBC and two of the main characters were Master Bates and Seaman Stains - it wouldn't get past a five year old now!

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Anyone has seen "South Park" lately? May 13, 2005

Two of the episodes I saw this week (in the US) make the Rainbow clip look like a fairy tale!; the scenes are so bold, I would feel uncomfortable watching them with kids around!... Of course they are broadcasted at 10 PM, but I am sure there's lots of children watching the show!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Be careful what your kids watch on TV!! May 13, 2005

cello wrote:

And what about Captain Pugwash?

That's an urban legend, Cello.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm

Marc

Herbert Fipke
Herbert Fipke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Adult comics... May 19, 2005

..."Peanuts" weren't really made for kids
..."Simpsons" weren't made for kids
...and "South Park" is definitely not made for kids

The "Rainbow" scene seems to be inspired by Monty Python's which definitely were also not made for kids....

Have fun!
Herbert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dirty minds...be careful what your kids watch on TV!!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »