Off topic: Need to know a practice sentence for Hindi typewriting
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 22, 2005

As you may all be aware, there is an English sentence which covers all the keys of English keyboard:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy little dog.

This serves as a very useful text for practising the English typewriting because it contains all the characters and one may become aware of the location of each and every key after typing this small sentence repeatedly.

I'd appreciate if someone could suggest a Hindi sentence encompassing the whole Hindi alphabet. The normal Hindi keyboard and Unicode Hindi keyboard are entirely different and it poses some sort of a problem when switching between the two. So, I think one may refresh one's memory after typing such a sentence.

[Edited at 2005-05-22 04:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe Microsoft can help you May 22, 2005

If you have Hindi version of Word open a new document:

"Word includes a way to quickly insert sample text into a document. To do this, type the following
and then press ENTER."

If you have English-Hindi Microsoft glossaries, search them for "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
My take May 23, 2005

Here is a sentence that I wrote just now, and I think it includes all the letters of the Hindi alphabet:

गङ्गा के किनारे अमरूद और आम के पेड़ों की छाए में बैठे ऊंट के पास खड़े ऐरावत नामक चञ्चल हाथी ने पंकज का फूल उठाकर होदे में रखे गणेश की मूर्ति के शीर्ष पर डाला और चिंघाड़ उठा, और ईख का गट्ठर सूंड़ से उठाकर मुंह में डालकर इत्मीनान से चबाने लगा, जिसे देखकर झांझर, ढोल मजीरे जोर से बजने लगे, पटाखों के धमाके हुए और भक्त गणों ने ओं नमः शिवाय की गुहार से सारे क्षेत्र को गुंजा दिया और थाली में सिक्के डाल दिए।

It is slightly long and unweildy and may be ungrammatical. Some redundancy in the letters could be there, and it could badly do with some pruning. It could be a nice starting point for you.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to know a practice sentence for Hindi typewriting

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs